Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194488-don-johnson-still-sport-any-way.html)

BenPerfected 09-04-2008 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this was in 1988 at Bay City. I was there at a dock as the helicopter landed with Barbara not more than 50 yards from our dock. My wife and I were asleep on the boat and the noisy landing woke us up. We had boated up from Toledo on Friday to see the race.
This is really weird...my wife was an photographer and I am 99% that is her in this picture leaning against the piling holding a camera. I joined GLOPRA and was an APBA racer the following year.
Still have the boat...new wife:drink:

WARPARTY36 09-04-2008 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN (Post 2672488)
What I remember about him is He and some others were going to "save offshore" and started OPT. IMO there is no room for celebrities with all the personalities in Offshore. Who remembers Jason Preistly's sad debut? That's all the sport needs is for him to come and save it again. Lord help us.

David Woods remembers Priestly's sad debut:evilb::angry-smiley-038:

GREAT thread guys!!! Incredible to hear more about the sport I grew up loving from the LEGENDS!

sean stinson 09-04-2008 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Phil M (Post 2674594)
Sorry NO - you are thinking of PHIL Machinsky - named it Lucky Strike at times - M= my middle Initial - I was involved in NNRT - with the infamous T3x - and what fun that was - he never ceased to amaze me - many times he would say- "do we need to be this close" - my answer was - CLOSER ! and he just kept talking ! I dont remember running into you Ed, but maybe we have in the past !

Phil

[email protected]

Ladies and Gents say hello to the famous Phil Lewis camera man of NNRT

bill63 09-04-2008 04:50 PM

looks like are old buddy red crain in the background

Ryan Beckley 09-04-2008 04:53 PM

I am pretty sure that picture of DJ on the dock is in Marathon, Florida Keys, at the Faro Blanco. I think that is Red Crain standing next to the 24' Skater , Absolute......

Old World Champ 09-04-2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phil M (Post 2674614)
Yes, I think so !

Hi Phil & Rich!:ernaehrung004:

lightspeed 09-04-2008 05:45 PM

I Remember Racing In Atlantic City I Think 1989, Babs And DJ Were staying On Trumps Yacht At The End Of The Dock At The Trump Castle .They Had So Much Security You Could not Get Down The Dock And At The Drivers Meeting We Sat Next To Each Other BSing About Vice And Racing ,, DJ Is A Pretty Cool Dude,,The Good Old days ,

offshoredrillin 09-04-2008 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 7xchamp (Post 2674207)
Everything will be done absolute with Larry and Brad, I have offered to help with the legends part. As far as the race next year, and this past year. I was supposed to run with Craig Barrie in the Donzi ZR 38 comp. that was on display, but last minute details ended that endeavor. I stood on the beach and watched and wished. also NEVER TO OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!! Omar Danial and I have already been talking about next year. Now that there is a record to be broken it makes more of a challenge. I spoke with D.J. about the last Don A. race and he really was not interested, that was all then as he put it.

I was in the orange Tiger, afterwards Bobby S was talking with me and grinning, I offered the throttle to him next year...he got a big grin and winked and said to call him....

HabanaJoe 09-04-2008 06:58 PM

Don't laugh!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Don in AC at a drivers meeting, I think this was 1988 when he had the 43 Scarab? My wife is the blonde behind and right with the 80's hair -doo and I have the blue & white cap on next to her.

IMHO you need 1 sanctioning body with rules that match the UIM like the old days. With the US $ so weak the Euro boats can come here very cheaply, you need big turn outs (#'s of boats) that bring real dollars to a local economy. Whether the old days were better???? You can't have organized anything when you have splintered groups with agendas.

The celebs will always make things a little more interesting for the average person, it doesn't matter if they make racing better they bring people out to the race site, the people spend money in the local area (food, drink, rooms, gifts, gambling, etc) and that makes racing work for everyone involved.

Joe Gere

gmhdfan 09-04-2008 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley (Post 2674681)
I am pretty sure that picture of DJ on the dock is in Marathon, Florida Keys, at the Faro Blanco. I think that is Red Crain standing next to the 24' Skater , Absolute......

Yes it was. I'm always amazed how much you know. your a walking encyclopedia.:ernaehrung004: