Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? >

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Notices

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil M from NJ...were you an Everglades Marina customer that raced a 47" Apache many moons ago?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Phil M from NJ...were you an Everglades Marina customer that raced a 47" Apache many moons ago?
Sorry NO - you are thinking of PHIL Machinsky - named it Lucky Strike at times - M= my middle Initial - I was involved in NNRT - with the infamous T3x - and what fun that was - he never ceased to amaze me - many times he would say- "do we need to be this close" - my answer was - CLOSER ! and he just kept talking ! I dont remember running into you Ed, but maybe we have in the past !

Phil

[email protected]
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Streisand's "ground security", approximately 5 burly guys, "ordered" our pilot off the landing pad as the diva was scheduled to fly in shortly thereafter. We left our helicopter where we landed it and basically turned our backs on them. Minutes later two more choppers landed.....carrying Barbra ( Mr. Johnson's squeeze at that time) and her "airborne security", approximately 7 more goons,......... The two security groups merged seemingly into one and hustled "Funny Girl" along a path through the very large marina....... basically pushing everybody they encountered out of the way (fortunately it was about 6:30 in the morning so the site was somewhat deserted.......but Babs needed her security squad).

The real drama occurred when this posse approached Don Johnson's motor home.......which was also surrounded by "security". Immediately sensing an approaching "army", Johnson's cadre took defensive action and intercepted with prejudice....... The resulting melee involved a couple of punches, some shouting, and frantic hand held radio communication, before cooler heads prevailed.
This is really funny stuff!!!

Michael
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this this Don/Barbara event at APBA Bay City, MI race in 1988 or 1989?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected

Yes, I think so !
Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
Sorry NO - you are thinking of PHIL Machinsky - named it Lucky Strike at times - M= my middle Initial - I was involved in NNRT - with the infamous T3x - and what fun that was - he never ceased to amaze me - many times he would say- "do we need to be this close" - my answer was - CLOSER ! and he just kept talking ! I dont remember running into you Ed, but maybe we have in the past !

Phil [email protected]
"The rest of the story"................

On many occasions Phil became so transfixed by the images in his camera "eye"...that he lost all contact with life and reality.

At Atlantic City during the World Championships, we were covering a wreck. As we got closer and closer we began to circle the debris so Phil could get a better shot. The helicopter was at a height of about 3 feet with Phil yelling "closer,closer" when our tail turned into the wind (a situation that drains lift from a helicopter). As one of the skids actually dipped below the water, our pilot, Frank DeBoard, who saved our *sses countless times, made a heroic maneuver and literally sucked the machine back out of the Atlantic, at which point Phil squawked "What are you doing I need a couple more seconds!".............all the while this was going on his eye never came out of the camera view finder. My narration , however, suffered a slight, obscenity filled, interruption.

Those were the days my friend....they almost came to a wet end.........

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 09-04-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Yep............
Old 09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
YOU DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT RECORD!! LEAVE IT ALONE!!
Ad for D.J., maybe if you told him he could be driving the boat that set the record it would be a little more appealing!!
Hey Gino, why not just offer the throttle seat to 7XChamp and really smash your own record?

I would suggest some "depends" for the driver before the race
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this was in 1988 at Bay City. I was there at a dock as the helicopter landed with Barbara not more than 50 yards from our dock. My wife and I were asleep on the boat and the noisy landing woke us up. We had boated up from Toledo on Friday to see the race.
This is really weird...my wife was an photographer and I am 99% that is her in this picture leaning against the piling holding a camera. I joined GLOPRA and was an APBA racer the following year.
Still have the boat...new wife
Attached Thumbnails Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-usa%2520dj%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
What I remember about him is He and some others were going to "save offshore" and started OPT. IMO there is no room for celebrities with all the personalities in Offshore. Who remembers Jason Preistly's sad debut? That's all the sport needs is for him to come and save it again. Lord help us.
David Woods remembers Priestly's sad debut

GREAT thread guys!!! Incredible to hear more about the sport I grew up loving from the LEGENDS!

Quick Reply: Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.