Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Very Cool story! Some people are amazing! >

Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!

Notices

Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!

A while back I was at a mall that i never go to. I walk into a Jewerly store and there is an old man behind the counter. Very very nice guy. I talk with him for a while and he asks for a biz card as i'm leaving. He looks at the card and says "oil can mam" as he reads the car. He says I love your logo which is a little oil can guy (get it Oil Can Man). He says I have something athome you will love, I will bring it tomorrow, make sure you come back. I really wasn't very interested in anything in the store so i just blew it off and never went back.
About 6 months go by and i'm back in that mall. I walk back in that store, not even remembering even being in there as the those little mall jewerly stores look alike.
While looking in the cases a guy yells out from the back of the store "there you are". I didn't even know he was talking to me. He walks over and shakes my hand. Me being in the fog, i'm usually in, don't remember him. He reachs his hand inside his sports coat and says, I have been bringing this to work every day since the last time you were in here. I hoped you would come back. He tells me I have a charm collection i'm been working on for over 50 years. I have had this piece for 40 years and have always loved it. I know you will love it and treasure it. I'm thinking what a sales pitch. He pulls out this little tiny oil barrel and says look at the bottom. It's actually full of oil. I was in absolute awe of the whole situation and did love the charm and the chain it was on.
I told him I loved it and pulled out my money. i said "what do i owe you". he tells me "you don't owe me a thing", it's my gift to you. I knew you would love this! He blew me away. insisted on giving him some money and I got a speech about accepting gifts. I gave hime some money for his church and he then accepted it. This guy made my day, my week and my year. For someone to have such a heart is beyond me. I learned a lot from this man. i only hope I can remember this and someday make someone feel as special as he made me feel.
Attached Thumbnails Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!-oil-can-man-racing-new.jpg   Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!-006.jpg   Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!-008.jpg  

Last edited by LubeJobs42; 08-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, I bet you will never forget that story or him.......
Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gino,
Just when you think that the tide was going the other direction something happens that restores your faith ..... how neat is that?
Keep spreading the light. - Jeff
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

That is a cool story.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

cool, even though you have had some bad luck, you musta done something right for someone...that is called Karma
Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LubeJobs42 Great story. Thanks for taking the time to post it,

I for one, understand the man.

I too have certain things and heirlooms that should end up with specific people and its more than a money thing. Its worth more for me to make sure the "piece" lives on than to necessarily get anything for it.

Example- old man sells charm for 10$ to a kid that forgets about it in 14 months, or uses it for target practice with his 22. More gratifying to know you'll probably keep it forever just to tell the story.

The piece was a fit and the old man was passing it forward as was proper.

Offshore you're right- Karma happens.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwod nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Wow Gino!!! That would be a great story to open sells meeting with, that just makes you feel good reading it. Thanks for sharing...
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Gino

Thanks for sharing your story, it in itself made my day. Funny how so many of us sometimes get lost in our own pursuit of happiness, Bigger faster boat, more expensive car, nicer home etc.. Then wham something such as a gesture like this creates so much real happiness. It wasn't about the money for him, it was about sharing the gift, the gesture was moving for him as well as you. hopefully we will all remember this
Old 08-30-2008, 11:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

now, all this being said..Dont lose it, jackass...just funnin with ya
Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hilarious!

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
now, all this being said..Dont lose it, jackass...just funnin with ya
Dude that was really funny.

kind of like the "Watch speech" in pulp fiction

Uncle Dave

Quick Reply: Very Cool story! Some people are amazing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.