Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smoke on the Water accident - Michael Scaffidi (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194631-smoke-water-accident-michael-scaffidi.html)

Indy 10-31-2009 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Back4More (Post 2983055)
Did the Driver/owner, throttle monkey, or boat manufacturer ever get sued? Wasn't Mike there from OL?

Wasn't Bob Russell driving?

boatme 10-31-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by SMOKDU (Post 2983052)
THX again for the support. but the bottom line was 2 good men got killed. i do agree that you can't put a money value on it and should not . i did not get a dime from it. they asked our family members if we wanted any money from the loss and we all refused to take any money. our family is well off and is worth way more than the settlement. the facts are this is not a RACE but stop closing your eyes to what goes on. you guys know who are the front runners and so did mike im sure. but don't down play it like you all know you are going to stay under a given MPH. if at our races they knew we took people for rides on the public side street (i have 4 seats) at high speeds, and the Event holders knew it, but closed there eyes because,, after all they are not racing just showing off They should be at some fault IMO. everyone knows it is easier to be reckless in a boat than in a car and not get caught. (on a big lake) sorry you lost your event but maybe you guys can look at it like it is an Event that has Race Boats in it. im sure that your head gets over your skills sometimes because of all the hype involved in these Events. on the street if you drive 25mph over the speed limit and kill someone guess what "reckless driving and poss jail time" yet at most these events some guys are driving 25mph over the lake limit and don't even think that you are doing anything wrong. maybe the Event Holder should have Police Boats following with Radar and pulling every boat over that speeds. ? How fun would that be and how many would not attend? if you guys say you would still attend than do something about it so down the road stuff like this will not happen because of high speeds. (if its not a race). get LIfe LIne jackets and helmet for the front runners that think they can't obey a law >wink wink> and at least then the crew is protected with a better chance of living in a crash. i have seen many bad drag crashes and a lot of people live because drag strips stop closing there eyes after many got killed without the right stuff. forget about the money involved ( i did) and focus on your sport. sorry for the rant. I'm not mad at anyone. i understand the risks of speed but i protect myself because i was taught about it by the track owners. most people would love to hop in a boat like that and if they only could find a child's orange vest to put on they would because of the hype. if you look at some pics most are not even wearing life vest. and they are going at least 60 mph. (over the limit) again i under stand it is not a race but if we had cannonball runs in our cars the same thing would happen. and if it was on a public road i bet the event holder would take some **** for it the next year. JMO. good luck next year. be safe. and if you take people in your boat please give them the best chance of going home..

thx
Mark

I will make this simple for you

1) it was not a race. My wife and I have also put on boat races as well so I know the difference, both in how it is organized, and the requirements for it.

2) There is no speed limit one mile from shore (no wink needed) There was no law being broken at the time

3) Mikes family (wife) got Millions of dollars, I have copies of the settlement. I see zero justification for his wife to become a millionaire because HER HUSBAND made a bad choice and they had to spread out the blame until money rose to the surface. Mark why were you not sued buy Mikes wife? You understood the dangers more than most and still you let him go to a boating event. Do you see how stupid this is ??

4) You apparently did not read what I said about the life lines. They are not coast Guard approved and as such an attorney would use that as their position to gain more money. Beside Mike knew what a lifeline is why did Mike not provide one for himself if it was that important? They don’t provide you your helmet at the race track do they ?? Again where is Mikes responsibility in all of this

5) Mark YOUR BROTHER made a bad decision that day to climb into a boat of someone he knew nothing about. Maybe we should have sued you and your family for not raising someone to be smart enough to think of that (again you see my position?)

6) Poker Run participants are required to wear a life jacket, by u,s at our event. Again if it is removed once they get out on the water we can’t police it since it is NOT a closed race course and it is a rally.

End of the story “GREED” ended a poker run and a charity for children. GREED ended the day long opportunity for any and all Make a wish kids who wanted to go for a boat ride to do so and have a great day of food, fun, sun and boating.
You say “our family is well off and is worth way more than the settlement.” If this is true that only makes this more appalling. Then your family should have help your brother’s wife out and got her through this financially not a lawyer . Or was it that the lawsuit was so WE could maintain her lifestyle?

SMOKDU 10-31-2009 01:48 PM

ya he was and i dont think he did anything wrong. and if the corvette club every year had vetts driving 150 mph at every event there would be a change made i bet. again im not saying you all drive this way but the facts are it is easy to get caught up in the hype of the event with choppers overhead to push it to the limit. if you guys can all say this is not true than im sorry.im not a boater but from the videos i have seen most drive there boats how they are meant to be driven. some dont and some drive with better skill. I.E the reason for 2 men driving them. this was a no win for everyone but maybe some good can come out of it. maybe not but at the end safety is number one. and yes accedents happen even on the street/drag strip/car club/boating event. but just beware that some are more reckless than others and try as a club to either close your eyes with better safety equipment or just stay in the back and pick up the peices....

we could go one forever here. sorry if maybe i do not understand as much as you guys do. maybe im wrong . maybe not.

thx
mark

phragle 10-31-2009 01:59 PM

maybe I need to simplify the message..

I'm empathize with your loss, but your brother was a grown man responsible for his own actions, Sotw is not his Mama.

phragle 10-31-2009 02:07 PM

in the future, don't ever eat again, food could be contaminated, don't go outside, you could be struck by lightening or afalling meteorite, dont stay inside, your house could be harboring toxic mold or lead paint, don't breathe, the air could be polluted, don't watch tv, there might be something you find offensive, step away from the computer, there may be electromagnetic radiation eminating from the screen..Dont, don't don't, I tried to do everything possible to warn you and protect you, but alas, i guess your just screwed. By the way..isn't this all god's fault for inventing people??

boatme 10-31-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 2983079)
Wasn't Bob Russell driving?

Dave Morse was driving and Bob Russell was running the throttles

800XCR 10-31-2009 03:07 PM

IMO - the driver of the boat was irresponsible and at fault for his actions and persued legally. Blame the system for letting it get where it did or yourself for not having the proper legal documentation to prevent SOTW from being persued. What kind of lawyer would put his client at this kind of risk?

My point is two guys made a decision that cost them their lives, SOTW made a decsion to not protect itself adequately. The family's may have wanted and may be entitled to justice for another's irresponsible actions - your decision to not protect the organization adequately is yours, accept some responsibilty yourself. Its NOT eveyone's elses fault.

Insurance companies and attorney's breed this - change the system to include common sense and most of these situations will go away.

boatme 10-31-2009 03:09 PM

Mark I respect your right to and opinion but please share with me one thing
Why should anyone have had to pay for Mikes death except his family
Why was it SOTW’s fault, or even Dave Mores and Bob Russell?
Was not Mike responsible for his attendance at the event and his ultimate demise?
Again in Mike’s case I do not believe the life jacket would have saved him if it was a life line
But if you feel that it is an important part then Mike is responsible he has a offshore boat and he had attended our event before He knew full well what he was getting into
My wife reminded me that when we go on friends boats we always have a duffle bag in the car with our boating supplies INCLUDING our life jackets

boatme 10-31-2009 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 800XCR (Post 2983134)
IMO - the driver of the boat was irresponsible and at fault for his actions and persued legally. Blame the system for letting it get where it did or yourself for not having the proper legal documentation to prevent SOTW from being persued. What kind of lawyer would put his client at this kind of risk?

My point is two guys made a decision that cost them their lives, SOTW made a decsion to not protect itself adequately. The family's may have wanted and may be entitled to justice for another's irresponsible actions - your decision to not protect the organization adequately is yours, accept some responsibilty yourself. Its NOT eveyone's elses fault.

Insurance companies and attorney's breed this - change the system to include common sense and most of these situations will go away.

You are kidding right ??

We has insurance and waivers Low life attorneys were looking for a payday A well known attorney in Florida had already called the marine patrol by the time we got back to the docks the day of the accident looking for information. It was a fricking feeding frenzy of attorneys
IT WAS AN ACCIDENT and we did what was needed and required to protect ourselves still the end result was ending the event due to legal actions

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about

Are you and attorney ???
as long as we have attorneys there will be no place for common sense

Indy 10-31-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2983136)
as long as we have attorneys there will be no place for common sense

Or personal accountability.