Smoke on the Water accident - Michael Scaffidi >

Smoke on the Water accident - Michael Scaffidi

Notices

Smoke on the Water accident - Michael Scaffidi

Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

maybe I need to simplify the message..

I'm empathize with your loss, but your brother was a grown man responsible for his own actions, Sotw is not his Mama.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

in the future, don't ever eat again, food could be contaminated, don't go outside, you could be struck by lightening or afalling meteorite, dont stay inside, your house could be harboring toxic mold or lead paint, don't breathe, the air could be polluted, don't watch tv, there might be something you find offensive, step away from the computer, there may be electromagnetic radiation eminating from the screen..Dont, don't don't, I tried to do everything possible to warn you and protect you, but alas, i guess your just screwed. By the way..isn't this all god's fault for inventing people??
Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Wasn't Bob Russell driving?
Dave Morse was driving and Bob Russell was running the throttles
Old 10-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO - the driver of the boat was irresponsible and at fault for his actions and persued legally. Blame the system for letting it get where it did or yourself for not having the proper legal documentation to prevent SOTW from being persued. What kind of lawyer would put his client at this kind of risk?

My point is two guys made a decision that cost them their lives, SOTW made a decsion to not protect itself adequately. The family's may have wanted and may be entitled to justice for another's irresponsible actions - your decision to not protect the organization adequately is yours, accept some responsibilty yourself. Its NOT eveyone's elses fault.

Insurance companies and attorney's breed this - change the system to include common sense and most of these situations will go away.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Mark I respect your right to and opinion but please share with me one thing
Why should anyone have had to pay for Mikes death except his family
Why was it SOTW’s fault, or even Dave Mores and Bob Russell?
Was not Mike responsible for his attendance at the event and his ultimate demise?
Again in Mike’s case I do not believe the life jacket would have saved him if it was a life line
But if you feel that it is an important part then Mike is responsible he has a offshore boat and he had attended our event before He knew full well what he was getting into
My wife reminded me that when we go on friends boats we always have a duffle bag in the car with our boating supplies INCLUDING our life jackets
Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 800XCR
IMO - the driver of the boat was irresponsible and at fault for his actions and persued legally. Blame the system for letting it get where it did or yourself for not having the proper legal documentation to prevent SOTW from being persued. What kind of lawyer would put his client at this kind of risk?

My point is two guys made a decision that cost them their lives, SOTW made a decsion to not protect itself adequately. The family's may have wanted and may be entitled to justice for another's irresponsible actions - your decision to not protect the organization adequately is yours, accept some responsibilty yourself. Its NOT eveyone's elses fault.

Insurance companies and attorney's breed this - change the system to include common sense and most of these situations will go away.
You are kidding right ??

We has insurance and waivers Low life attorneys were looking for a payday A well known attorney in Florida had already called the marine patrol by the time we got back to the docks the day of the accident looking for information. It was a fricking feeding frenzy of attorneys
IT WAS AN ACCIDENT and we did what was needed and required to protect ourselves still the end result was ending the event due to legal actions

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about

Are you and attorney ???
as long as we have attorneys there will be no place for common sense
Old 10-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
as long as we have attorneys there will be no place for common sense
Or personal accountability.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditto!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apparently then the justice system doesn't acknowledge waivers or SOTW had a poorly written version. It clearly did not stand up in court, who's responsibility is that?

The fact that your organization chose not to continue is the organization's decision, not the familiy's. They continue elsewhere all over this country - ALL knowing the results of this incident.

No I wasn't at any of the legal proceedings, am not an attorney, but based on the info you've presented, I assume the "system" did not consider it an accident and placed the liabiltiy accordingly. Do I think they should have been able to sue SOTW, NO. However, the bottom line is that SOTW did not protect itself adequately either or would have been dismissed from liability.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that bothers me is that one of the survivors sued SOTW and is still treated like some sort of rock star at other poker runs. If I personally held a poker run, and he showed up to participate I would have a real hard time letting that happen.

Mark, I am sorry for your loss, but this is simply a bad decision on your brothers part by getting into a boat that he had no idea or didn't care about the drivers lack of driving experience. I do about 12-15 poker runs per year and I understand that there is risk involved, so I have provided enough coverage for my family in the event of my death. Your brother should have done the same. We all are responsible for our decisions in life. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Quick Reply: Smoke on the Water accident - Michael Scaffidi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.