Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane? >

Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?

Notices

Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Sometimes that's the problem. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys that thought the monthly payment was what it cost, ignoring things like fuel, storage, dock boys, maintenance, new engines, broken drives, etc.

I wonder if they'll sell you a trailer with 240 easy monthly payments?
He bought the boat with Chinese financing: "one lump sum!"

Everything this guy owns is bought with cash. He is all about simplicity. Boat is on the lift and in 60 seconds it is in the water and he is out enjoying it. He looks at the trailer as "unnecessary" for his boating since he lives on the water.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
He bought the boat with Chinese financing: "one lump sum!"

Everything this guy owns is bought with cash. He is all about simplicity. Boat is on the lift and in 60 seconds it is in the water and he is out enjoying it. He looks at the trailer as "unnecessary" for his boating since he lives on the water.
That's the way to do it.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
If he can show that the price gouging is related to Ike then he may want to report it to the Attorney General's office. They take a pretty dim view of price gouging related to an emergency situation, $1k per incident fine..

Off the Florida A.G. site- "Under Florida law, the price of goods or services are considered exorbitant if the increase represents a "gross disparity" from the average price of that commodity during the 30 days prior to the declared emergency. Violators of the price gouging statute are subject to civil penalties of $1,000 per violation, up to a total of $25,000 for multiple violations committed in a single 24-hour period."

Hotline is 1-866-966-7226 Website- http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256222...ical,storm,fay

If the marina is taking advantage of the situation I'd report them. Also as soon as he hangs up the phone from the AG office he needs to get on the phone and take care of his chit before the next storms heads this way.
Yep, they don't take this lightly...
Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep making it hard on marina owners and all of them will turn into condos.................... Like I did with mine. Theres soon going to be 250 boat owners looking for a place to store.

And new marinas can't be built in 90%+ areas of the country because the numbers don't work.

Or, wait until you need your local marina to haul your boat in an emergency because you are taking on water on a Sunday at 4AM, or you need a stupid $10 part to save your weekend.

What goes around............................
Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

So that gives marinas the right to jack the price WAY up. If marinas can do it in an emergency, why not gas stations and super markets. Let’s charge fifteen bucks for a bottle of water, ten for a bag of ice or twenty for a gallon of gas. Because you need to eat or drive your car or truck out of harms way Sounds reasonable. I am all for making money but a 700 percent increase is BS and I would report them as well.

Last edited by lawdocx3; 09-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Keep making it hard on marina owners and all of them will turn into condos.................... Like I did with mine. ........................
so what did you do with your marina, condos? what was the name of your marina you owned? I can't remember.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"I would have loved for someone to pull that chit when I owned my marina. It would've cost him lots more than $1000 in hospital bills for opening that can of worms"
Guys at my Marina wouldn't pull this type of crap as I bet most wouldn't. Now offering extra services at a price to help someone out is fine by me and I'd appreciate it if I was on the receiving end.
If a marina ups its regular rack rates just because a storm is a week away and they feel the need to increase the profit margins I would get the normal rate one way or another and guarantee I'd be a one time customer.
Again- not many Marina folks that wouldn't try to help someone out of a jam...lot of good people out there.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Increase profit margines" you are assuming that the marina owners are making a profit and that short term storage has no additional cost or burden to the operation - I love free stuff more than any one - When you win the lottery put a "help the boater fund" together and let us use your good money and nature to solve our financial problems - Maybe Obama will create a free park your boat anywhere super fund

What ever happened to supply and demand as a concept - had you shown up to the marina a week ago you could have gotten short term indoor space for normal price - everyone would be happy
Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I Got A Price Of $ 750. From Saturday Until Storm Hit's " That's 2.5 Day's " Then A $100 Day There On After .
Lucky For Us Ike Is Turning South And Hopefully Wont Hurt Us
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
so what did you do with your marina, condos? what was the name of your marina you owned? I can't remember.
My marina was in Myrtle Beach. Silver Coast. Sold it Dec '06. Not sure what stage it's in but they broke ground last spring. 200+ racks inside plus another 100+ stored outside.

Quick Reply: Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.