Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194753-accident-cumberland-poker-run.html)

cumberline 09-06-2008 11:31 PM

There is a copy/paste from the early news I posted on lakecumberland.com where I mentioned that I had heard 2nd hand that he may have swerved to miss a houseboat. I noted elsewhere in that post, which was made shortly after the crash, that the info was sketchy at that time and I was posting what I had. I have since updated it to remove that line as I heard no other mention of that possibility, and I originally had heard it from one of the sources I contacted by cell phone to get early info while I was on my way back to my HQ.

At the time of the incident, I was on the shoreline uplake near Conley Bottom Marina waiting to take pix and vids of the boats (which is about an hour's drive back to my office in Russell Springs). There were hundreds of boats off all types and sizes, literally, on the water in that long straight area of the lake just before it makes a two 90-degree turns. There were also hundreds of folks on the shoreline as well.

I was there an hour before start time, and I can say that the boaters automatically left a very wide lane -- maybe a couple of hundred feet -- open up the lake through the area I could see. There was a water patrol cruising back and forth the entire time, but I didn't witness him having to ask people to move. Even though there were clearly more boats on the water there than last year, it seemed to me that the lanes were more clear than any of the 6 years I've personally watched the runs. Of course, I was many miles from the scene of the incident so I can't say about that location.

It wouldn't be possible to stop public boat access on Lake Cumberland for this or any other event. It's a huge lake with a thousand miles of shoreline and dozens of access points for a hundred miles up the main body. Public access to the event is probably the prime reason the Lake Cumberland Poker Run is held, and it has been growing in popularity every year.

There are a couple of threads on lakecumberland.com with details that are constantly being added, as well as photos.

LubeJobs42 09-06-2008 11:36 PM

The last 2 years I attended this run. This year I didn't make it. I remember how crazy things were. The spectators are everywhere. They were not off to the side of the coarse, they were everywhere. Some were anchored right in the middle of the channel. Some were coming straight at you in the oppisite direction. There were jet skis everywhere. They would aim straight for you and then jump your wake. It does get very bumpy with all of the wakes bouncing off the rocks, it gets like a washng machine.

This is so horrible. I feel terrible for all involved. Things like this remind you how it could happen to any one of us. This is very sad.

getchasum111 09-06-2008 11:52 PM

thats exatly right Gino...i could not believe how the lake was today....i have never seen so many boats and jet skis running up and down the lake today on the wrong side of the lake..sad sad day...

Member23845 09-06-2008 11:55 PM

Condolences to the family and prayers to the injured.

Ted G 09-07-2008 12:00 AM

RIP Kevin, our condolences to the family and friends.

Bigb79 09-07-2008 12:01 AM

Before anyone else goes on assuming it was a spectator that caused the accident you need to go to this thread here and read it. The guy who pulled the boat to Jamestown from the accident has some good info for you.http://lakecumberland.com/forum/view...d=20824&page=3

cumberline 09-07-2008 12:04 AM

Details about the crash, posted on lakecumberland.com by Marine Assist, who recovered the vessel and whose son witnessed the crash:
-----
The fellow was attempting to pass the boat in the lead. The Skater came down "wrong" on the starboard rear and began to chine walk. The starboard bow dug in to the water, which broke the hole throught the hull you see. That water forced through the starboard sponson like a cannon and blew out the transom. The weight and drag caused the boat to flip over, throw the occupants out and take on water. It partially sank, leaving only 12 feet of the bow above the water.

We put a line on the bow, in case the boat tried to go to the bottom. We then towed it very gingerly over to the bank, trying to keep what little air that was in the hull, in there. We raised it using 5 airbags, once it was at the shore. The boat had to be towed on the airbags because the hull is so badly damaged there is no way it will float. There is major structural damage, as you may have guessed.
-----
MA posted some photos of the recovery on the following thread...

http://lakecumberland.com/forum/view....php?tid=20824

jonyb 09-07-2008 01:40 AM

I believe a friend of mine picked up Kevin after the crash, and his partner was the paramedic. They were in a yellow 36' Fountain....

I remember back in 2006 I walked up to Kevin's boat and took a picture of Pammy's deck. When I walked away a few of the guys (I'm sure one was the owner) spoke about the graphic to me and laughed. They were all really nice people.

I've been attending this poker run for just a few years, but it's exactly like Gino stated above. Very rough, and lots of spectators doing things they shouldn't be doing. Maybe spectators didn't cause this, but whether they did or not, they need to learn to stay out of the way and off to the side......

Cumberline, I've seen some of your posts over the years on LC.com. Glad you came over here to tell the story.

RIP Kevin!

Rippem 09-07-2008 02:37 AM

sad.

Rest in Peace.

grads2112 09-07-2008 04:22 AM

Thoughts and prayers to the families.