Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194753-accident-cumberland-poker-run.html)

bobonthis 09-07-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by riggerjohn (Post 2677602)
I know the guy in the heli, say's he caught most of it on video but lost view of the flip because of a hill. He caught it at the end of the flip. At first they were not sure how many people were in the boat, they went back through previous photos to confirm head count finding only two in boat and stopped there search for others in water. But will reply when I hear more detail from heli friend. Has nothing to do with blame or speculation, just people making conversation very normal when tragedy strikes, especially when it is a fellow friend.

I agree, I was more concerned with people blaming other boats and crowded lakes and so on. We need to worry about ourselves and look out for ourselves because nobody else will and they did not create the lakes for poker runs only. We are considered invited guest and we need to just act accordingly and adapt to the environment, not try to have them change it just for us. I am not picking on anybody, I am just stating my opinions.

jryan26 09-07-2008 07:56 PM

very tragic..:(

32fever 09-07-2008 08:52 PM

My condolences go out to Mr Sellers and his family. Fortunately, only 1 casualty out of the crash. If you can say anything positive, a man perished doing something he loved to do. RIP.

Just my opp, but I've done the poker run in the past, and most boats were out of the way of the path of poker run boats, but there were a few that were sitting in terrible locations and simply dangerous to the participants. Even at 50 mph, the run could be dangerous if that sort of thing happens. (not that it was or was not a factor here). The other issue I had was a high speed pass by someone son who builds powerboats making a pass a little close than I'd care for. Your head has to be on a swivel at these sorts of things. I believe 6 years ago or so the video helicopter crashed, too.

Even at LOTO this year, it was more dangerous than I remembered. Seems that maybe the high gas prices now has everyone taking the shortest line on the inside corners in either direction. I started going to the outside while there and was much safer. It amazes me when another boat cuts you off and acts like it's your fault you're motoring in a straight line in the main channel of a body of water.

Sorry for the tangent, if anyone even read it.

stainless 09-07-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by craig s (Post 2677361)
hello , my name is craig stumpf. i was the passenger on the 36 skater know as pammy, with my long time friend kevin sellers. i want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. he was a great friend and loved by many. he passed from a neck injury. im fine just beat up . thank you

Glad to hear your doing well ! Prayers to you for a speedy recovery and sincere condolences for the loss of your friend kevin, he sounds like he was a great guy !

bouyhunter 09-07-2008 09:08 PM

hello , my name is craig stumpf. i was the passenger on the 36 skater know as pammy, with my long time friend kevin sellers. i want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. he was a great friend and loved by many. he passed from a neck injury. im fine just beat up . thank you

Thanks for posting this.
Glad you're OK.
My deepest condolences in the loss of your friend.

satisfactionII 09-07-2008 09:10 PM

Very sad and tragic. RIP :(

gsmith9898 09-07-2008 09:44 PM

Glad your ok. Sorry for your loss of a good friend. RIP Kevin.

nashpda 09-07-2008 09:56 PM

Glad to hear you're doing well Craig. Best wishes for a speedy recovery both physically and mentally.

apache21 09-07-2008 10:09 PM

Rip

Ms PatriYacht 09-07-2008 10:21 PM

can't stop thinking about this, just to many accidents lately

RIP Kevin.