Notices

What boat to Buy????

Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS
well being that you are in the great lakes , and not really offshore I would suggest any flat bottom boat design, .................................................. .................................................. .......................................
......nice

I'd buy this and have probably at least $15k left over to play with if $70k is your max. Trailer, cheap insurance and fuel. I know it's a 93 but it's really nice and a great deal. http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18923-en.html
Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shogren
FOUNTAIN & BAJA By FOUNTAIN
Are Fountains generally considered "good in the rough?" I don't think that I saw them on the "best rough water boat" thread. I prefer ride over that extra 10mph. I guess I go under 70 a heck of a lot more than I go over 70. Spent a great deal of time at 5mph.
I mean, I know that they often have big power to weight ratios. But my 40 years on Lake Erie make me prefer more weight per horsepower. Something about the steepness and spacing of waves. Lead sleds have worked well in this water.

I would sell a guy in Havasu a Fountain and a guy on the great lakes a trawler. I mean, a heavy deep V.

A guy coming from a cruiser may not transition as well to many Fountains, as say... a guy coming from perf boats.

Not an anti-Fountain post at all. Beautiful and fast machines.
Just not sure that this was the best advice. More salesman than consultant, perhaps.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS
well being that you are in the great lakes , and not really offshore I would suggest any flat bottom boat design, .................................................. .................................................. .......................................
Oh Bob.

You need to visit your friends in the north more often.

We could go to Put in Bay in a strong NE wind in a flat bottom boat. It would make us wish for a Fountain. (while we were waiting for the CG to pick us up.) Although, having said that... I remember a dude who rode a Jet Ski from Toledo to South Bass one year.

Before this gets hijacked beyond rescue... I say the Powerquest 38 would be ok, I have ridden on one in Lake Erie and between the weight and the high freeboard it was ideal. Formula over 272 would be good. 272 maybe to low of a stern. Older mistress maybe.
Stinger/scorpion. There was Rastinger's old 31 stinger out there with buncha updates.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So now the offical phrase is "Baja by Fountain".

BBF

I remember that from somewere- has a catchy ring to it....

Now I remember- the personals ads.

BBF- like it!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to our pre-hijack festivities-

Coming out of a cruiser might be culture shock. I'd make a list of features and amenities you would like and another one of one's you can't live without. There's a broad variation in cabin size and cockpit room in the class of boat. And learning that you're a guy that can't bring himself to sit down to pee is a bad thing to find out after you've bought a boat with a 4' cabin height. Worse is to buy something that doesn't mesh with the wife/kid's needs.

Lastly, try to avoid buying something that isn't what you want and setting out to turn it into that. For example, making an average mid-range perf boat go 10 mph faster can be a brutally expensive proposition.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered

You might be able to find a 38' Scarab for that price. That would be a great rough water boat. Great boat period.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
And learning that you're a guy that can't bring himself to sit down to pee is a bad thing to find out after you've bought a boat with a 4' cabin height.
Chris has a way with words.

Just guessing, having come from cruisers... that a certain amount of amenities will be expected, and even 55mph will seem wicked fast.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Chris has a way with words.

Just guessing, having come from cruisers... that a certain amount of amenities will be expected, and even 55mph will seem wicked fast.
ha, he said wicked fast.

on topic i'd go with a 382 formula fastech or a 38 scarab.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 03darkshadow
ha, he said wicked fast.

on topic i'd go with a 382 formula fastech or a 38 scarab.
Yep. Cruiser guy friendly boats.

Wicked post btw.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
He already TRADED life as he knows it John! Tied the knot, kid on the way 5 minutes after the vows! Diapers instead of offshore!!!!!!
I have no comeback for that. If I have to putt around the lake with my damn Bimini up all time I may as well give in. It will be temporary. I don't think mommas gonna like the ride of a small cruiser in Lake Michigan. Now you see why it has been so hard for me to get to Charlavoix this year. I have folded

Quick Reply: What boat to Buy????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.