Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can ya help me compare motor rebuild prices? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195084-can-ya-help-me-compare-motor-rebuild-prices.html)

Ona-Mission 09-10-2008 08:15 PM

Can ya help me compare motor rebuild prices?

I recently had a gen 4 big block motor rebuild and would like some help comparing prices. I feel like my bill was too high and would just like to show examples to my builder or maybe even show me that he is inline with his pricing. If you are willing to help, could you please send me copies of your invoices. Fax 989-684-1994 email to [email protected] or pm me here on OSO. Thanks in advance for your help.

wieland77 09-12-2008 07:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Any luck?

Is your boat at Pier 7 or something, saw the trailer, no boat. Crappy weekend to have it in the water...

DURANGOKID59 09-12-2008 09:03 AM

I just had my big block rebuilt begining of this summer. I dont have the build sheets handy at the moment, but my invoice was roughly a couple hundred more than what Wieland posted. I read through his invoice, and it looks to be pretty much the same as what was done with mine. Hope this helps. Steve

Brad Zastrow 09-12-2008 09:42 AM

Rebuild comps. That is a tough thing to do. Some guys just slap a set of rings, some light valve work and bearings in the engine and call it a day. I start with a good builder and trust his judgement.

Chart 09-12-2008 09:52 AM

Opps. Nev VER mind.

Ona-Mission 09-14-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2683515)
Rebuild comps. That is a tough thing to do. Some guys just slap a set of rings, some light valve work and bearings in the engine and call it a day. I start with a good builder and trust his judgement.

I do understand your point. My problem is that I supplied them with two complete motors and all they needed to do was build one good one from all the parts. my total bill was $9300. including parts, labor machining. This just seems extreme to me. Any support would be greatly appreciated. Add note to my cost... $9300 didn't include any dyno time.

Ona-Mission 09-14-2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by wieland77 (Post 2683346)
Any luck?

Is your boat at Pier 7 or something, saw the trailer, no boat. Crappy weekend to have it in the water...

I was out on thursday night at Castaways for dinner and drinks when it started to rain. It's in the water at Harolds cuz I didn't want to make the run back up the river in the rain.

Ona-Mission 09-14-2008 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DURANGOKID59 (Post 2683463)
I just had my big block rebuilt begining of this summer. I dont have the build sheets handy at the moment, but my invoice was roughly a couple hundred more than what Wieland posted. I read through his invoice, and it looks to be pretty much the same as what was done with mine. Hope this helps. Steve

Thanks for you help. If you happen to find your invoice and are willing to send it I would appreciate it.

nocigarette 09-14-2008 12:12 PM

That seems high to me unless you made 600 hoarse out of the new mill.....