Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need grease? Need to move 4 tons (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195210-need-grease-need-move-4-tons.html)

handfulz28 09-12-2008 10:58 AM

Need grease? Need to move 4 tons

Reaching out to the industrial folks here on the board. I'm no grease expert, but would appreciate if someone could confirm whether this is a decent and compatible "industrial" grease. It's in 55gal drums and 5gal buckets, so a little difficult to work into the boat and vehicle maintenance routine. :D

What do large users pay for this stuff?

From the MSDS:
2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Description

Boric Oxide derivatives dispersed in Synthetic oils.

Ingredient CAS# Concentration in %
PAO 68037014 <50
FUMED SILICA 67762-90-7 <12
AZELIC ACID 123-99-9 <2
FATTY ACID ESTER NONE <6
SILICONE NONE <10
BORIC ACID 10043-35-3 <15
TACKIFIER MIXTURE <10
(SOLUTION OF
HYDROCARBON
POLYMER)

The color is light tan. Was supposed to be white translucent so the original buyer can't use it. My brother and I have started a junk removal service so we need to find a home for this before we commit to picking it up.

Chris Sunkin 09-12-2008 11:17 AM

You need to be very careful. If you place yourself in the chain of custody of this material, you can become liable for it- and all the damage that it does. While it may appear to be grease, it's also industrial waste and a pollutant. If you take it and transfer it to someone who them buries it in a field, you could be liable for large sums of $$ in removing it.

The first step is the capacity of which you're acting- If you buy it as a reseller, that's one thing. If you charge to remove it as excess material or waste, the situation changes dramatically.

If you buy it and resell it, it's grease. If you charge to remove it, it's waste. You are now responsible for properly disposing of it. If you give it away, and that person pollutes with it, you have a problem.

Plus, grease isn't like used oil. It has much fewere and more complicated secondary uses. 4 tons of motor oil could be used in a waste oil furnace, for example. Grease has limited uses.

The MSDS is useless in determining what it is. A brand name or even better an API spec would point you in the direction of someone to buy it. The most importanmt thing- don't put yourself in a position of charging a dollar a pound to remove it, then having to spend 10 to have it removed from you.

handfulz28 09-12-2008 12:04 PM

Haven't got an API spec, but similar (identical?) to Lubrisilk #2.

If somebody pays for this stuff, then liability for its use transfers to them right? And where would "recycling" fit into the liability scenario?

Chris Sunkin 09-12-2008 12:19 PM

If you buy it and resell it, it's a clean transaction, provided you sell it to someone that appears to be responsible. If you sell it to a college fraternity...

If you sell it to a licenced recycler, you still are in the liability chain but by virtue of their licence's bonding requirements they'd pay for mishandling.

Where it might get sticky is if you charge them for removal. You may not even be properly permitted in your state or by USEPA- I don't really know that part. We remove oils from machinery and take them along with us. But we resell them to a recycler. We aren't required to be permitted as what we remove isn't far enough up the scale to need permits and it's a byproduct of a core service. Our business relationship is not as a waste hauler. But we do need to be DOT permitted for the quantities we carry- I think it's 40 gallons.

No one is going to buy it without documentation. You need to sell it wit a waiver of warrant of merchantability- essentially saying you make no representations for the suitability of the product for any purpose.

You may also want to consult with your liability carrier before doing this or any other type of project.

I have an acquaintance that did something like this. Took a bunch of medical equipment. Ended up owning the disposal liability for about a dozen old dental x-ray machines. Deceased dentist- didn't want to pay the disposal fees so he stuffed them in the basement- the NRC came after him. Good thing they weren't in a landfill- he'd have had to pay to dig them out.

What you don't know can hurt you.

handfulz28 09-12-2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2683752)
What you don't know can hurt you.

Ain't that the truth. Guess you could say more like acting as a broker in this case. Not really looking to take posession, just trying to make ends meet so to speak.

Liability carrier? Hah! So far we're the only company that actually has insurance. Being that it's not petroleum based, and biodegradeable, that would make an interesting claim.

If anyone asks how many rads we've taken in the last month, we'll be sure to pass on the job. :D

DollaBill 09-12-2008 01:24 PM

Cash Bar hasn't had a girlfriend in a while. Call him

Chris Sunkin 09-12-2008 01:48 PM

Call a licensed recycler and ask them what they'd charge. Then add a percentage for handling the transaction.