Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   project baron (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195365-project-baron.html)

tripple digits 09-15-2008 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2686426)
I am waiting for one of these resto cig guys to take on Triple Dip CHits, and put him in his place !!!!!!:evilb:

WILL

Not going to happen unless they run over 100

baronmarine 09-15-2008 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 2686970)
The powerplay/powerquest is not built near as heavy or solid as the old Barons.The Barons had a 52 gallon tank foamed in under the cockpit floor and was foamed outside of the stringers also.

The Powerplay/Powerquest have a 25 gallon tank mounted up in the nose and a skibox in the floor where the fuel tank was in the Baron.

My brithers Powerplays you could feel the whole floor move when you were runnin and it just felt to light to really run in any type of real waves.Its the only one i have ridden in so maybe it is a fluke or not i don't know.The fit and finish on the Powerplays is much better thabn the Barons though.

i'll tell you this. put 52 gallons in the floor. and hold on! for a 19' boat they realy cut the rug in some waves.
todd

mountainmadness 09-15-2008 10:24 PM

you never know how they were all built, some could have been monday boats and some could have been friday boats :eek:

Myself, I am very impressed how solid mine is, No noticable structual cracking, nothing flimsy or loose. 32 gal tank in the front which sucks. You know they are built better then normal, they are 18.5' and wieght 2650 dry, my dads 1988 22 baja only wieghts 2600 they say. Only flaw I have on mine is right above the rub rail little tiny stress cracks along the rubrail on the upper deck, like it was not cured when they screwed the halfs together or something, if you looked close they look like little face frowns one after another, The normal person would probably never see them, but I am very picky so it bothers me I have run mine in 4's one time and Loved it, I was alittle bit intoxicated that day, but no drinkin anymore on the boat for me! :drink: This boat has takin a beating and It doesn't owe me a dime.

Seriously It has taken me 6-7 years to get this far and to tell you the truth i spent many of those years dissapointed cause of the lack of mph I was achieving, the last 3 years with this motor, I kept thinkin to my self this motor must be tired or has something broke cause it should do atleast 80, I kept tinkering around and this summer I got it dialed in, spent many many hours on the carb, new fuel pump, more psi, bigger fuel lines ect. Up to the begining of summer it only did 78.8. The last day of labor day weekend, I nutted up and told my self it has to run over 80 everyhting is perfect long as I can stay in it alittle longer, I have been scared of this boat ever since I put this drive on it, never WOT more then 1/4 mile maybe and I would back off. So I set the gps on the seat Lined up into the wind, 1' chop and let er rip, ran the trim up little by little and ran her hard till I started losing control So I gave up and slowed down, probably ran no more then 1/2 miles or so. I looked over at the gps and it said 81.9, that goal and dream I have had since I bought the boat is here... I have waited my whole life to tell someone I own a 80+ boat, now I do. This might sound like much to you, but this is all I have, I don't make much money I can 't buy the new age stuff or run the big money motors, I am just very content right now.

hows that for rambling all evening :eek:

fyhr factor 09-16-2008 12:51 AM

Sleep it off Travis.. I feel the same way about mine, except I don't care if I hit 80 or not.. but you have done what many have not...stay cool :cool-smiley-027:

DoTheMath 09-16-2008 10:46 AM

I always loved the 185XLT's - great boat, and lots of fun to drive - even in snotty water. My buddy still has his 1987 that he got new in 1987, over 1,000 hours on it and still holding together. Travis - yours could be one of the nicest ones out there today!

I even went so far as to call Powerquest a few years ago to ask about the molds and she said they destroyed them - what a shame. I would love to resurrect that boat - with a 6.2 / 320hp Merc and a Bravo, it would be a fun package! :cool:

tommymonza 09-16-2008 11:05 AM

Stretched to 22 feet and a little sheer change and it would be perfect.

mountainmadness 09-16-2008 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 2686690)
More of Problem Child

Travis is there anyway I could get you to take a accurate propshaft center line to bottom of the boat measurement.Do you have any problem with cavitation coming out of the hole?

HEY MR! Yoiur better cherish this info, It took me alot of concentration to get this done, been a long day, got ass packed by a dodge today doing 60+ at least I was in a work truck :eek: and it seemed the alckyhall got ahold of me this evening plus I am full of stuffing right now and about to pass out,

but just for you.. my hull to propshaft centerline is about 5.25+ - 1/8" god it seemed like forever to get that #, it felt like forever to get the drive to trim down, then the beers came faster... oh then I got on the creeper.... do you know how straight levels are... very straight when they fall on your head.... do you realiaze how sharp a labbbed prop is when it graces your forehead???? they sure are shiny though~~finially after 15 million measurements I got what you needed... You owe me cause I got really dizzzzy.... I do take payment of fresh MILFS to my doorstep :D

mountainmadness 09-16-2008 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DoTheMath (Post 2687368)
Travis - yours could be one of the nicest ones out there today!

:

Thank you.. I appreaciate it.. Alot of pride in this rig

tommymonza 09-17-2008 10:02 AM

As always Travis not enough information.:D

Are you positive it is 5.25 and not 5.19758693245672. I really need a absolutly precise measurement if I am going to be able to over come the parasytic hdrodynamic drag of my unmodified Alpha drive so that I will be able to beat the dreaded Tripple Digits.

mountainmadness 09-17-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 2688478)
As always Travis not enough information.:D

Are you positive it is 5.25 and not 5.19758693245672. I really need a absolutly precise measurement if I am going to be able to over come the parasytic hdrodynamic drag of my unmodified Alpha drive so that I will be able to beat the dreaded Tripple Digits.

LMAO!!

parasytic hdrodynamic drag ???? is that some sort of sex postion??? :D:D its too late for those big words.. keep it to 4 letters after 9 pm :cool: