Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who had the first (production) stepped hull? >

Who had the first (production) stepped hull?

Notices

Who had the first (production) stepped hull?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Got it, I am.

I think he means "speed gimmick". You give up some handling ability (maybe a lot on some boats) for top end. You don't use top end that much really (or I sure don't see too many people who do).

My boat is not stepped, and I like it a lot! It rides great in the rough, and is very easy to drive, I can let my friends drive with little fear they will tuck the drives in a turn, etc. I'd like to go faster, but honestly the lake is usually kind of rough so I don't want to go full out all the time. I think I'd like a step boat someday (TS Gun sounds nice), but more for the efficiency than speed. But at that point it won't be something you can let someone drive like they would a runabout, etc.

Steps seem to serve their purpose well, but their purpose isn't improved ride. I was asking if you think they do improve ride, how?
Hey rlj676:

You are one of the few familiar screen names sometimes it comes across different than how it reads in any event.

I think stepped v-bottoms are better riding in the rough when you go from swell to swell the compression on the downside is smoother the vents funnel the water even make a whoosh sound when really compressing/landing.

The steps aerate the hull better for top speed in terms of less wetted surface and I like running fast. Especially if the Mexican patrol boats are around... I can see the Coronado Islands from my home. Yeah us West Coast boaters have the Pacific Ocean... come to Todos Santos home of the big wave surfing swells that will swallow most boats.

Overall, I would never own a non stepped V-Bottom. The only issue I have with them is they do not turn well and like to spin out if pushed hard into a turn ricky racing around and I rarely ever found the need to make racing like turns while in the Pacific ocean.

I'm not an engineer but know what I like for my boating environment.

KAP

P.S. Headed to the Rio/Arizona it is 116 deg. gonna be a hot one.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Registered

"FYI---are you saying you prefer a non stepped boat over a stepped hull? If that is the case just say so I will sharpen my keyboard!"

I know them so well - now you better pretend to be a boatless duck with yellow fur!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Are you!
Yeah I am...Been on plenty of conventional hulled Cig, Apaches, and PowerPlays and never felt the need for a more "whooshy" cushioned ride...maybe the west coast boater is more of the sensitive type
Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Hey rlj676:

You are one of the few familiar screen names sometimes it comes across different than how it reads in any event.

I think stepped v-bottoms are better riding in the rough when you go from swell to swell the compression on the downside is smoother the vents funnel the water even make a whoosh sound when really compressing/landing.

The steps aerate the hull better for top speed in terms of less wetted surface and I like running fast. Especially if the Mexican patrol boats are around... I can see the Coronado Islands from my home. Yeah us West Coast boaters have the Pacific Ocean... come to Todos Santos home of the big wave surfing swells that will swallow most boats.

Overall, I would never own a non stepped V-Bottom. The only issue I have with them is they do not turn well and like to spin out if pushed hard into a turn ricky racing around and I rarely ever found the need to make racing like turns while in the Pacific ocean.

I'm not an engineer but know what I like for my boating environment.

KAP

P.S. Headed to the Rio/Arizona it is 116 deg. gonna be a hot one.
Interesting take, I've never heard anyone reference the steps actually aerating enough to cushion a blow. Most of my research has found people to claim the ride of a wave crushing traditional V to always beat a step boat.....think Apache vs Fountain. There's obviously a lot more to the equation though, mass, balance, speed, etc.......

I must be less of a speed freak, as I'll take my stability over an extra few mph. We know that's not your case with twice the power on your cat (deckboat).
Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Registered

Cougar Cat had the first production "stepped" hulls...I am almost positive. They may have been produced in small numbers but produced none the less.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Registered

garwood
Attached Thumbnails Who had the first (production) stepped hull?-dsc_0005.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

Maybe a dumb question but I keep reading how some people believe steps equal higher top end... I'm curious as to how this is so since almost any boat I've seen running wide open had a wetted surface behind that of the last step?!? To me they are more for efficiency then anything.

As for the original question... I have no idea but I admire T2x's (amongst others) knowledge and think he needs his own section, or to write a book...
Old 02-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
If you want to split hairs and talk about "Production Fibreglass hulls", below are examples of a few (and there were more) that were available in the early 60's.

T2x
we owned this Hydro Scott hull. it was stolen from our yacht club .

Quick Reply: Who had the first (production) stepped hull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.