Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195421-some-hurricane-ikes-nastiness.html)

B one 09-15-2008 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by clambake (Post 2686874)
Does anyone prepare for a storm or take responsibility for their own property? 100+ winds and 20+ storm surge predicted for more than a week. Who pays for the damage to a property when a sailboat lands on someones fence? Sh*t happens but how many people will be crying to their insurance companies when the only prep they did was a couple extra dock lines? I've been thru everything since Andrew and at some point people need to wake up. Those pics look like everyone walked away and said O' well. And then they complain they can't afford insurance in the future. I'm sorry about lives lost but thats for another thread.

No one knew where it was going until the last day. It could have went from Corpus to Louisiana. You can't move a sail boat down the coast to Corpus Christi or Brownsville in one day. Even the big power boats did not know which way to go. The smartest one I see is that one large boat anchored all by it's self. Put out two big anchors and hope for the best thats what John Wyane would have done. To many boats to move in that short of time. If you watched the news the boats that anchored of in channels were unharmed, but not enough channels to go around ether. I was in Fort Pierce for a couple of hurricanes in 2004. There was a 30+ foot boat 20-30' in the air on a display stand right on the water, the eye of the storms went right over it. Nether storm did anything to it but the boats that where in dry storage did not far so well the buildings fell and crushed most of the boats. The boats anchored in the intercoastal most did alright.

thisistank 09-15-2008 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This?? NO BUENO!!!:eek::(

scarrab30 09-15-2008 11:33 PM

Jeff, How did gbyc make out in seabrook? I used to sail out of there in the early 60's. Back then we would take the boats out to deep water drop anchors and partly sink them. We never lost one, but there was'nt alot of boats like there is now. I was there for carla, but I don't remember this kind of damage. Brian

lil zeke 09-16-2008 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht (Post 2686756)
very sad to see, there were some very large boats toppeled over, One of the pictures near the top showed a place called
3 Amigos, or something like that. Was that on the water, their was huge place on the other side of it, was it a private residence. My hearts go out to all those people that lost so much.

3 Amigos was a gas station on the water.

Jupiter Sunsation 09-16-2008 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 2686965)
Thanks for posting those, Jeff. Always sad to see that kind of destruction - especially when boats are involved. The next few weeks are gonna be miserable- good luck to everyone in the area.

The New York Times has a few slide shows of the wreckage.

I snagged a couple pix... sad times for the area right now.

in the NY times pics it looks like one guy in the whole neighborhood built his house to hurricance specs. :eek:

Dean Ferry 09-16-2008 07:10 AM

just terrible! hope all is good soon. We know your misery!
Dean

jayboat 09-16-2008 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2687126)
in the NY times pics it looks like one guy in the whole neighborhood built his house to hurricance specs. :eek:

Well... the news was sayin there were a lot of older homes in the area. Not any more. :eek:

Airpacker 09-16-2008 07:45 AM

Its brutal to see the devastation to peoples lives like these images. I fell very sorry for all those who this storm killed or left homeless and very thankful that even though I only get 6 months of boating season, I will never have to live thru a killer hurricane. I can deal with snow and ice. It rarely kills or damages homes.

pullmytrigger 09-16-2008 07:49 AM

OUCH!!!......having something like that happen is unimaginable to me......maybe snow isnt so bad after all......hope everyone is ok:):)

JeffC 09-16-2008 08:05 AM

The thing that saddens me is in some of the pics you might have noticed is a dock with power slings. Power boats are the easiest boats to get out of the water. I realize that some guys dont have trailers but at least make an effort to protect your property.

I drove down there before the storm and it was flooded way before the storm even hit.