Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
who does good engine work in sw MI >

who does good engine work in sw MI

Notices

who does good engine work in sw MI

Old 03-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in the long run I'd like to see at least 650 ponyies, something that'll push me into the high 80's. Nielson Marine told me it was best to start from scratch due to the main, cast crank, yadda yadda. It would be nice to be able to save some parts, and some bucks as well.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:51 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Gameover,
I am no engine builder, however, I just went down that road. Nielson is correct. For the kind of HP you are looking for, sell the 7.4 and put the money towards a new engine that fits your plan. "Saving money" and "engine building" do not go hand in hand if you know what I mean.

Good Luck
Paul
Old 03-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gameover,

Have you pulled the pan off of your motor yet? I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 1990 7.4 L had 4-bolt mains. It still had the cast crank, 3/8" bolt rods, and cast pistons. The block is the only item I am using from my stock engine. It has been an excellent foundation for my 496" which makes in excess of 700 HP @6500 rpm and pushes my Baja 210 95.8 MPH on radar. I will admit the new Merlin and Dart blocks are sweet, but the Chevy 454 block is pretty capable and you already have it. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Game, if you're that serious about having an engine that makes 650+ HP....I have two 540" engines that make 700HP each @5750rpm and 704 ft# of torque @4800rpm. They only have 50 hours on them. If you're interested, give me a call and I'll give you the scoop on what components they have, etc. I have the dyno sheets to boot. 616-291-7932 Mark
Old 03-07-2002, 08:28 AM

Tyler Crocket,
Old 03-07-2002, 10:09 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Echo echo echo

I realize they are across the state from you, and I admit I am not familiar with some of the other names suggested to you, but I have to repeat the Tyler Crocket name. Tyler has built a number of winning race motors that produced some amazing horsepower with exceptional dependability.
Some of the names Tyler builds for and maintains;
One Vision Racing
Grumpy Old Men
Eriesistable,
Mavrick
B calss Challenger, (can't remember name)
Team Formula
and lots more that I'm not supposed to tell about.
Not only are they reasonably priced, but when we raced, Tyler was there for support.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Smile

Just a little more piling on about Tyler Crockett. I live in Battle Creek and it's been worth the drive across state to have him build my engines. He did two small blocks - the second was a 383 stroker, and my current 454. The 454 started out as a Gen VI 7.4L which only reused the 4-bolt block and accessories. Same upgrade as you're considering. He sends the reciprocating assembly to Diamond Racing for balancing, otherwise his shop does all the rest. With the first two engines, he even let me do a fair amount of the rigging and rerigging work myself. The last project I just dropped the boat off and picked it up when everything was all done.

I love the peace of mind that comes from having the engine dynoed. I know it works, the carb is jetted for max performance, the timing is set for use with the octane gas I will be using, and I get computer printouts of the engine's horsepower and torque curves.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:19 PM
joeyoffshore

Call Wolfies in Baroda MI, he will build you some big power. He worked for John Lingenfelter for 6 years and is very reasonable.

Wolfies
616-422-1090

joey

Last edited by joeyoffshore; 03-23-2002 at 06:26 PM.

Old 03-23-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Gordo, the B class challenger boat from Tyler's shop is the Tanglewood Marine boat owned by Joey Turek. He speaks very highly of Tylers work.

Wolfie's is a great shop also, knows his stuff. A bunch of the Chicago Offshore boats are over there right now being worked on.

Good Luck, Dean
Old 03-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Registered

I would go with Tyler Crockett If I was not racing outboards he would be building me inboards!! That B class boat is called CRAZY RYTHEM (810)324-2720 I'm good friends with him I also do his glass and paint work ! Tell him sparky told you to call!!

Quick Reply: who does good engine work in sw MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.