Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195579-favorite-offshore-25ft-smaller.html)

UP_ROKTOY 09-22-2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 2693491)
As far as old school looks I will take that all day. But again that is personal preference. These loud multi-colored boats look nasty IMO. And molded swim platforms don't do it for me at all. I'll take solid colors and a flat transom.

There have been some great examples listed on this thread!

x2

Pantera24 09-22-2008 12:49 PM

Uncle Dave,
It's a matter of "choice".... no more...no less......as for the shifter it's an option....
how much is a Laveycraft 24 nuera ?? 70-80k
I'll take a 20 year old Pantera 24 (20k) anyday and put it up against a new 24 nuera and let's see who will hang offshore.

cosmic12 09-22-2008 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2693363)
Perhaps this thread should be titled "Favorite Offshore 23-25 foot hulls"...and another marked "Favorite Offshore hull 20-22 Feet"...as these are really two entirely different hull sizes and performance envelopes.

As far as Uncle Dave's posts go, perhaps a thread entitled "Favorite Offshore hull with Bling and Thingy's" would be the ticket. The truth is that aside from graphics (personal choice), construction materials ( a bit lighter and stronger) and steps( 90% hype)....very little has impacted vee hull development in the past 40 years.

T2x

Thank You :ernaehrung004: as always:ernaehrung004:

Uncle Dave 09-22-2008 02:06 PM

Selling? Ask the vendors not me

Talk to the sales guy from Bananna boat about selling on a public forum Tx- not me.

(Im in the TV/movie business - not the boats sales business.)

The off base part is you making statements on my behalf in the third person- you started the personal stuff here not me.

(Ive actually been reading your posts for a while and I agree with you in the 90% range)

Thanks for clarifying your point- "10%" can mean a lot of things.
You werent clear in your 3 line mail before.

Ok then you are saying a step hull gives up in handling more than you get in speed to make it worth adding or paying for the step.

- so you would choose a non stepped hull over a stepped new if it were your new 24ft boat? -Ok thats your call.

I would NOT share your preference if picking a new boat today- and isnt that what these threads are talking about? what would be YOUR or MY pick, and more importantly why? the good new is many vendors that sell stepped hulls originated it form the same mold with a non step mold.

Bolsa cored and bagged- I dont know any vendor who offers it that doesn't recommend it now that they do. You are correct, I would not want to be the first vac bag client from any vendor it can be done wrong and has been.

Pantera 24 - I like and respect panteras (just read my posts) I also like AT's (once again read my posts)
As for who would hang offshore? Winner would be close and I promise you or anyone a real race in an equally powered boat. The Lavey 24 won powerboats offshore sporboat of the year award in 04- it deserves consideration if you are spending the money.
Regardless of how you feel about PB a win like this wasnt bestowed because of Laveys ad budget with PB for sure.

Cost- yeah Id say probably in the 70's to 80L and up depending on power sure. Never said my pet brand was cheap- I'm simply pointing out what 80K can by you these days.

Colors- isn't it better to deal with a company that can do solid white to anything you want included? that way you can get what you like. Its an overall capability point Im making vs a preference.

TX the control part wasnt a discussion of who ivented it - Livorsi, Latham, dana, merc. It was a "how is it rigged" question. When a vendor throws up picts of his new boat show boat and it has plastic parts in it im suprised. Especially such an esteemed OFFHSORE rig.

What do you see in the "vendors" boat show picts? That was my point, not debating who invented the split throttle shifter design.

Ok so youre willing to say that because Im "from California" I cant discern between bling and good components? - Would your opinion change if I were from Chicago or how about New Jersey?
Whats really your point here- that you disagree with me, or dont like California?

If its cool for an 80K boat to not come up with pop up cleats- then thats the preference of the guys defending it I woudnt call that "bling" just a basic requirement when spending 70-80K. especially after seeing what can happen when a "newby" jumps off in the wrong place.

Molded swimsteps are a curse and a blessing at the same time.

What am I selling .....good question. Im "selling" and encouraging some debate as to what makes a good 24 ft boat.

I though that's what this thread was about?

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor-710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan

Uncle Dave 09-22-2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera24 (Post 2693557)
Uncle Dave,
It's a matter of "choice".... no more...no less......as for the shifter it's an option....
how much is a Laveycraft 24 nuera ?? 70-80k
I'll take a 20 year old Pantera 24 (20k) anyday and put it up against a new 24 nuera and let's see who will hang offshore.

I agree its about choice- knowing what your choices actually are is the first step to making an informed one.

70-80 thats about right- more with big power.
In my opinion for 70-80K a real shifter should be included.

Pantera makes is one of the few East coast boats id buy.
(I wouldnt take one over a Lavey though - preference)

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan

UP_ROKTOY 09-22-2008 02:24 PM

Mine came with a real shifter and a gas pedal :D

http://www.progressionboats.com/home...D/13%20med.jpg

Uncle Dave 09-22-2008 02:44 PM

Whaddya know!

Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY (Post 2693668)
Mine came with a real shifter and a gas pedal :D

http://www.progressionboats.com/home...D/13%20med.jpg

Look at that- ! real components (we gotta talk about you having so much bling) I can forgive you this time but you"d better go back to old school on your next boat.

Progression also vac bags-! Your boat ride like a box of cholorox? Progressions are supposed to be really light. Some of the guys here like plenty of good old ocean hugging weight as opposed to that newfangled lightweight stuff- (Im sure its just a fad)

Sure that boat isnt from California Roktoy?

I like the fact that progression build their own boat)
Some manufacturers dont splash.

Whats your take on the bananna boat?

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan

HabanaJoe 09-22-2008 02:58 PM

I think my old Maelstrom 23 was great boat in this size range, that was vacum bagged boat.

I also had a Monza 24 from Eloy back in the day, it was basically a Pantera. That was a good boat, a little narrow and not very fast for the power but as they say a wave crusher.

I like old school style, flat transoms and less flashy paint jobs.

The only thing I support from Uncle Dave is the shifter on the Banana - it's little tacky other than that I think the boat and colors are good. It's a retro offshore V-hull, I don't think it's meant to be anything else than that? I could see myself buying a new boat that looks like that rather than the OL and the other flashy fancy colored boats.

Then again I like smelly, oilly, leaky diesel race boat bilges so what the heck is my opinion worth???

Joe Gere

UP_ROKTOY 09-22-2008 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2693683)
Look at that- ! real components (we gotta talk about you having so much bling) I can forgive you this time but you"d better go back to old school on your next boat.

Progression also vac bags-! Your boat ride like a box of cholorox? Progressions are supposed to be really light. Some of the guys here like plenty of good old ocean hugging weight as opposed to that newfangled lightweight stuff- (Im sure its just a fad)

Sure that boat isnt from California Roktoy?

I like the fact that progression build their own boat)
Some manufacturers dont splash.

Whats your take on the bananna boat?

Uncle Dave

I bought my boat used, it came from Costa Mesa, CA LOL.

That picture is not my boat, but I have the exact same dash set up, except my boat has mechanical indicators for the trim, tabs, and jackplates.

I like the banana boat, but I like the retro look, which i think the progression carries a bit of.

To be honest it wouldn't matter to me one bit what my shifter looks like, I am a function over fashion guy 10/10 times.

Plus I don't look at the shfiter when I am driving, I'm too busy having fun :)

Uncle Dave 09-22-2008 03:16 PM

Yeah.. that pics

Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY (Post 2693706)
I bought my boat used, it came from Costa Mesa LOL.

That picture is not my boat, but I have the exact same dash set up, except my boat has mechanical indicators for the trim, tabs, and jackplates.

I like the banana boat, but I like the retro look, which i think the progression carries a bit of.

That pict is off the progession website- I went there when you mentioned them at the start so I could see what they were about.

I was never saying bananna made a bad boat - (I went out of my way to show respect to its history)

I just pointed out whats tech and style is available in that length and what is and is not in the bananna.

I think its only fair to question a vendor (even a really cool one like the bananna guy whose posts I enjoy) about what it was hes selling and discuss what it is and isnt.

Lot of sensitivity here in this thread. I get brand loyalty but I go out of my way to understand the difference between products rather than just buying what dad had.

But then again I spend big money of stupid stuff like expensive watches and solar pool heat so Im a bit of an odd duck.