Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195579-favorite-offshore-25ft-smaller.html)

AIR TIME 11-30-2008 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2700732)
DKerns - your about that, this is how it should be.

I see the A-44 team Gulfwind there that was the A Class kile record holder for a few years 83 or 84 Mph?

That really was when racing was fun and it didn't cost an arm an a leg.

Joe Gere

OPA is the cheapest and best racing of all time:D, its about 500 for the boat and 500 for driver and throttleman for the season plus GPS 400?? about class 600 is 26 and under 70mph, There a great way to get started. In the mid 90s when the lid boats came [BRONX PHANTOM ] A CLASS WENT FROM 500CI 600HP TO 550CI about 800hp. I raced in 02 apba cost me about 1500 for the year boat , driver, throttleman and 500 per race.

Uncle Dave 11-30-2008 08:29 PM

tick.... tock.....

Hmm still no data- not surprising.

Rather than me "talking in circles" I posted data supporting my position.

Others either cant, wont or don't post any actual data. Supposedly somehow my data is biased, but so far Ive seen non other to compare it to. (Aside from Joe at Panteras new input on their model which backs up other manufacturers relative findings on the topic)

Just more stories, opinion and preference.

Brand preference is a strong thing that can blind a person to reality.

How's Dean Gellner coming along with your engine?

"Uncle Dave"

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB

fastdonzi 11-30-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor (Post 2689136)
1980, 24 ft. Jaws Super Sport by Lorequin Marine in Florida. Great looking boat and rides great in rough water.

Hey, Don't laugh, Me and Jim Arvis (OSS's Cheif inspector) Raced one for a year, it was a pleasure boat converted to a race boat, still had the inner liner in the cabin and all. we smoked fully built race boats all the time in the rough. only 2 boats that really did better, Hogsbreath 26'corsa (that measures 24') and Franks Marine 24' Carrera/Scorpion. That friggin Jaws boat was the Sh*t in the rough (until we sunk it) Had it been a Real race boat it would have faired better............

AIR TIME 11-30-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2750266)
Hmm still no data- not surprising. no time don't care

Rather than me "talking in circles" I posted data supporting my position. ok

Others either cant, wont or don't post any actual data. Supposedly somehow my data is biased, but so far Ive seen non other to compare it to. (Aside from Joe at Panteras new input on their model which backs up other manufacturers relative findings on the topic)

Just more stories, opinion and preference. OPINONS THATS WHAT MAKES THIS PLACE FUN

Brand preference is a strong thing that can blind a person to reality. EVEYONE LIKES THERE OWN JUST LIKE YOU DO

How's Dean Gellner coming along with your engine? GREAT I CAN'T WAIT!!

"Uncle Dave"

Just like half the people don't understand what I say sometimes aka my pain pills:rolleyes: !!A lot don't understand what you are saying:grinser010:. boats do last longer than 20yrs just go to BAJA FORUM look under pics of my boat you will see mine and read of some of rework thats been done from 06 or having done making changes for the better. my fav boat 28 joker, sutphen 26/ new 27 well new and old 30/31 too. I like custom paint may do that too. I might put that new motor in a new joker 28 who knows well good night boys.

Uncle Dave 11-30-2008 09:39 PM

Im happy to explain anything to anyone asks me to.

I believe if one reads the whole thread from beginning to end - I make some pretty good points about what has actually changed in the last 20 years and posted 3rd party evidence to its effectiveness.

I make the point myself much earlier in the thread that "discussion" is what this is about.

People following and responding to a live thread for days then all of the sudden not being able to understand the very same poster anymore is a well known way to deflect a losing position in the discussion.

Actually I like several builders, and have my favorites on the West and the East coast- there are a lot of competent builders out there.

Dont misquote me- I never said boats dont last 20 years. I said a race layup is a liability in a product designed for 15-20 year.

I read through your entire forum. I like the fact that you are into your boat and have steadily built on it since buying it

However-

You posted three pictures in 6/2006 - and then no other picts from you in that same thread for the next 2 years till your last post on 11/5/08 Lots of animated faces & dancing beans or whatever they are though.

Am I reading the right thread? Id like to see your mods.

I hope you've gotten the steering over to full hydraulic and have a new drive before you drop in a Gellner 1000 + HP engine.

"Uncle Dave"

AIR TIME 11-30-2008 10:16 PM

hey I just checked out your lavey thread yeap you got more pics than me gee I thought your lavey would be foam cored not old balsa like mine was 20yrs ago, mods well right now its got a RIED 670HP motor 30'' k planes full hydualic steering custom steering wheel with matching throttles gauges color red, racing bolsters with the wrap in out seat that goes around your gut, set up to sit or stand. more for sit now ,new custom out drive with 2'' shortie and other goodies making custom back seat since we are changing bulkhead design and adding some in the cabin. everything is out of the boat now.checking out inside of the boat to make sure it solid if not than fix it.or go joker 28 and use all my new stuff.I did not use the boat after fall 06 which we hit 83.2gps at 6000 ran out of prop.and so thats why no updated pics. I should have the boat back together this spring unless there are more troubles with my stinken knee. but this replacement should be it. and last yr my steering, custom carb, ss lines, drive plus trim, msd stuff and more were stolen so that was a set back. hey when you have not worked in four years and having 5 surgeries it takes longer together done.

Uncle Dave 11-30-2008 10:36 PM

Core material and layup-

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 2750334)
hey I just checked out your lavey thread yeap you got more pics than me gee I thought your lavey would be foam cored not old balsa like mine was 20yrs ago, mods well right now its got a RIED 670HP motor 30'' k planes full hydualic steering custom steering wheel with matching throttles gauges color red, racing bolsters with the wrap in out seat that goes around your gut, set up to sit or stand. more for sit now ,new custom out drive with 2'' shortie and other goodies making custom back seat since we are changing bulkhead design and adding some in the cabin. everything is out of the boat now.checking out inside of the boat to make sure it solid if not than fix it.or go joker 28 and use all my new stuff.I did not use the boat after fall 06 which we hit 83.2gps at 6000 ran out of prop.and so thats why no updated pics. I should have the boat back together this spring unless there are more troubles with my stinken knee. but this replacement should be it. and last yr my steering, custom carb, ss lines, drive plus trim, msd stuff and more were stolen so that was a set back. hey when you have not worked in four years and having 5 surgeries it takes longer together done.

I'm not sure who's using foam- does it have the compression strength that balsa has? but its probably very light for sure.

Regardless of the core material- its the vacuum bag technique that makes the hull stronger and lighter than a comparable length hand laid hull. (of course a single all aluminum engine doesnt hurt either)

The vacuum bag technique is superior to the older style hand layup regardless of the core material.

This technique is one of the few innovations to hit our industry and hulls that use this process are lighter and stronger than the same hulls that do not. Its this process thats available in many 24-25 foot boats today that should give them a tiny edge over their non-vac bagged competitors.

We hit on this earlier in the thread.

Only the resin infusion technique produces a lighter hull.

Bummer about the work and surgeries hope you have a better year.

"Uncle Dave"

tangent70 12-01-2008 12:05 PM

I like my 1980 Formula F233 long deck. In the process of renovating her (Again) from the stringers up. Plan to put either a 300hp outboard or a pair of 200hp outboards. whatever my pocket can take at the time. Looking more for reliability than speed

AIR TIME 12-01-2008 12:58 PM

I think for no wood boats DONZI is one there are a few. vb has been around for about 10yrs which is lighter less resin. My boat built 8ft beam 24ft 36''freeboard big 24 weight was 4000lbs. Mr. v8 outboard helped me lighten it up in 96 with a one piece pro stock scoop built around a light weight baltex engine cover weights 35lbs, was 250lbs. back seat was 250lbs new will be lighter. so the old girl might weight 3600 to 3800lbs by the time I am done. paint will be a fellow that did some OUTERLIMITS before they subbed it out to the guy inmid west now. He did KNOT RIGHT 46 turbine skater EGO GRAFIXS painting the guy is the balls. Go to skater 101 you can see the paint and change from 572blowers to turbines plus paint. That boat screams we got caught in the rain at 137mph:eek: slowed to 65mph coming into the boat ramp it was funny as hell having bumps from rain haa hah. hey 26ft T B BY STEVE STEPP is a nice boat to lots of cabin space and standing in the cockpit is deep AT 25 TOO.

ItsPeanut 12-02-2008 09:22 PM

I have to say i love my scout