Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195579-favorite-offshore-25ft-smaller.html)

masi242 08-30-2009 07:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
She`s old be a good ride.

Wahoo ATV 08-30-2009 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2942445)
Factory 1

The Factory I class consists of 24 to 30 foot V hull boats with one MerCruiser HP 500 and Bravo One outdrive. This package results in typical speeds in the 70 to 75 mile per hour range. Atypical speeds in the official kilometer speed runs have shown 77 for one of the F1 boats in the Great Lakes Silver Cup Series (August 1999). The world kilometer record is a nat's hair over 81 miles per hour, but this is on a grand fathered "A" class boat that was downgraded to F1 by changing the motor to the required stock 500 horse power. When this boat's grandfathering expires, you will not likely ever see 80 miles per hour in an legitimate F1 boat again.

UD

75mph for a F1 boat sounds about 5 mph short. BTW the yellow bat boat pictured with a stock 377 Scorpion and 30" Bravo 1 runs 84mph.

It is for sale. :kiss:

F1-00 Racing 08-30-2009 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2942445)
Factory 1

The Factory I class consists of 24 to 30 foot V hull boats with one MerCruiser HP 500 and Bravo One outdrive. This package results in typical speeds in the 70 to 75 mile per hour range. Atypical speeds in the official kilometer speed runs have shown 77 for one of the F1 boats in the Great Lakes Silver Cup Series (August 1999). The world kilometer record is a nat's hair over 81 miles per hour, but this is on a grand fathered "A" class boat that was downgraded to F1 by changing the motor to the required stock 500 horse power. When this boat's grandfathering expires, you will not likely ever see 80 miles per hour in an legitimate F1 boat again.

UD

Uncle Dave,

Not trying to be rude, but I must disagree with you. If you go to www.starsrescue.com and go under Chattanooga Mile Records my 29 Fountain posted 86 and change. To this day it has a stock sealed(Innovation) 500EFI(per APBA LLC & SBI rules). My boat was never an "A" boat and has been F1 legal since 2001 with APBA LLC and SBI until 2008 when the F1 class was discontinued. My normal race setup is 82-84 mph when I was in F1 and I averaged approx 74-76 mph and in 07 pulled off a timed lap over 78. Over this past winter I went up to Charlotte in 25 degree weather and ran a 30 hydro with 2 GPS's and one said 93.2 and one said 92.7. I was however 150 lbs under official weight and keep in mind the temp I mentioned. As I said above I am not trying to be rude, but where are you getting your information????? Also FYI the official Kilo record is held by Steve Kildahl in a Velocity VR1 in 2002 Savannah @ 82.99mph. This can be verified on the UIM site.

By all means I invite you to not take my word for it, come and ride in it with me and I'll show you the seals, a copy of the rule book to verify that if F1 still existed it would be legal and we'll cruz @ 85 all day long.

Trent

Uncle Dave 08-30-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing (Post 2942843)
Uncle Dave,

Not trying to be rude, but I must disagree with you. If you go to www.starsrescue.com and go under Chattanooga Mile Records my 29 Fountain posted 86 and change. To this day it has a stock sealed(Innovation) 500EFI(per APBA LLC & SBI rules). My boat was never an "A" boat and has been F1 legal since 2001 with APBA LLC and SBI until 2008 when the F1 class was discontinued. My normal race setup is 82-84 mph when I was in F1 and I averaged approx 74-76 mph and in 07 pulled off a timed lap over 78. Over this past winter I went up to Charlotte in 25 degree weather and ran a 30 hydro with 2 GPS's and one said 93.2 and one said 92.7. I was however 150 lbs under official weight and keep in mind the temp I mentioned. As I said above I am not trying to be rude, but where are you getting your information????? Also FYI the official Kilo record is held by Steve Kildahl in a Velocity VR1 in 2002 Savannah @ 82.99mph. This can be verified on the UIM site.

By all means I invite you to not take my word for it, come and ride in it with me and I'll show you the seals, a copy of the rule book to verify that if F1 still existed it would be legal and we'll cruz @ 85 all day long.

Trent

No worries on the disagreement - I agree with you and disagree even with me- heres why...

Trent, the entire verbage on the mail especially past the "The Factory I class consists of 24 to 30 foot V hull boats with one MerCruiser HP 500 and Bravo One outdrive."

- is a simple cut and paste from an ancient APBA site and not mine.

I simply went to an old APBA site to get a statement on how many engines a factory 1 class boat runs - and cut that but didnt bother to trim either statement past the "factory class" engine rating side.

I should have spent more time editing and not blindly put up someone elses old rant.

As for the speeds I agree they have already been eclisped by single engine f1 boats including my own pet companies

my bad..

UD

Uncle Dave 08-30-2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV (Post 2942817)
75mph for a F1 boat sounds about 5 mph short. BTW the yellow bat boat pictured with a stock 377 Scorpion and 30" Bravo 1 runs 84mph.

It is for sale. :kiss:

It isnt my speed claim.

I pasted a quote from an old apba site that talks about how many engines in the factory 1 class - simply to debate the point you made about the pantera running 2 engines-

If you look at the video it could be a 28, but when it passes the other bat boat they look identical to me in size.

UD

Uncle Dave 08-30-2009 07:53 PM

Heres the link- I just went to sompeplace to find a copy of the class ruling and pasted more than that when I should have edited rather than copied out the commentary

http://www.p4-34.com/public_html/FactoryClasses.htm

UD

F1-00 Racing 08-30-2009 10:52 PM

Gotcha UD I was wondering where that came from lol

Trent

But the invitation is still open if your ever in Fla

Uncle Dave 08-30-2009 11:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing (Post 2942977)

Trent

Next time Im in florida Ill take you up on that -
Rig sounds awesome I wanna ride.

Likewise if you ever get out to LA look me up- Ill take you for a spin.

Im taking this rig on a trip to San Diego tomorrow from Marina Del Rey it's about a 300 mile roundtrip throwing in a stop at Newport each way.

Ill do what I can to come up with the hotties again if get out....

UD

VtSteve 08-31-2009 09:38 AM

This thread brought me back to a discussion I had with a pleasure boat maker. Now that the industry's downsized, as well as the consumer's appetite for leverage, how would the boat industry proceed? Many have plans to keep their new low-scale cost models in place. Lower volume, lower overhead, and lower discounts. Many boat dealer have been preparing for build to order as their floorplanning costs are now sky high due to lack of competition, and a reduced appetite for risk.

The hi performance boat market has a few up-market players doing well, and companies like Fountain, Donzi and probably Cig revamping their operations. But there is a market void since many boat builders decided to go mass market with lighter boats, wakeboard boats, as well as flooding the market with bowriders and the like. I miss the old days of solid, wave-crushing boats that didn't need to be 32' to take waves.

I told him that I really think that this is the time for boat builders to carve out their own niche here. There are many that don't want a great-riding boat that tops out at 45 mph, but are looking for a well-built wave crusher that will do 65 mph or so, and still hold up after many years. They cost a bot more to build for sure. But the cost of entry for a new Fountain, Cigarette, whatever (not to mention the size of them), is a huge turnoff in this economy, and probably for a few years as well. And I suspect prices will only rise from here on out.

This market is most likely a lot larger than most people think it is. I was intrigued by the comments about the ride and handing qualities of the Active Thunder, but now they're 28'. I believe that many of these brands could produce a boat that would deliver volume, not to mention repeat business in the future. The model should be repeat business, and capture them early on. You can't be all things to all boaters, but you can try to capture a market that is profitable, and will probably be growing for a decade or so. Keep performance in mind, but this does not have to be a pure play performance boat, which would keep the volumes lower, and defeat the purpose.

Here's what I find attractive about some of the model features I've seen, and what I think would be attractive to most buyers in this segment.

25' to 28' max
24 degree Vee, no steps
Cabin headroom
Enclosed head
Single engine power choices, even from a quiet 350 mag on up
Concentrate on cockpit comfort
ie: seating options should not be limited to stand up bolsters
I don't need to go 70 mph plus

I'm not talking about a $125k Formula here at all. But a concept not too far off from, say, a lower cost Formula SS.

I loved the features and layout of the AT 28 Savage, and think it would be a good start if refined for the broader market. It got my eye, as it actually has a usable cabin, although the beam is a bit narrow.

There's been a large market out there in the used OS boat niche, and many concentrate on ride and price, not so much speed. Many people have families and cannot justify a high-speed boat that gives limited focus to amenities such as cockpit and cabin, as they are more for Poker runners and the like. Some have even sold out and gone to cruisers.

I just think these boats would add more to the bottom line, and offer less dependence on high-cost lower volume boats.

Uncle Dave 09-21-2009 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing (Post 2942977)

Trent

I'll let you know when Im out there and Ill take you up on it...

Not only do I know better, my hull from my pet manufacturer set the record in 2006 at 90 with a 525.

Uncle Dave