Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Check out these IKE pics... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195655-check-out-these-ike-pics.html)

wstultz 09-22-2008 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300260710798

joew. 09-22-2008 11:41 AM

I hope they really want a 45 cary.

pshannon 09-22-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by scarab1963 (Post 2693411)
that is my 91 scarab viper

Sorry to hear about that, hope you had insurance....

gerritm 09-22-2008 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by THLWL (Post 2693313)
Also, the day before the mandatory evacuation, Ike was headed to the Texas - Mexico border - A lllooonnnggg way away from here. So, what have I learned? The weather experts posting their single path lines of where a hurricane is headed don't know chit and shouldn't post with such certainty like they have been doing.

You are absolutely right. they don't know chit. Wednesday night we went down to the boat with the thought of tying it down and raising it up like we have done before because Ike was heading south and west and at the last minute decided to pull it out and store it. Got up Thursday morning and went to work and got the news that the storm was moving north and east and we were in the first mandatory evac group due to our zip code. Left work. Didn't even have the windows boarded up. Got those done with my son while my wife and granddaughter loaded the car and truck, put the dogs and bird in the truck and left. That's how fast this happened, within 12 hours we were gone.

The boats floated in the 10' plus surge. You only have about 8' of head space above them. Then they scraped themselves to pieces against the upper beams. I don't think tying them or any other preventative measures would have helped other than getting them out. Some boats are not as badly damaged due to where they were in the marina. There is an apartment building that blocked part of the main surge and wind between the marina and Clear Lake. Also some of the boats were in the water tied to docks rather that on slings and had a taller roof and beams that allowed them to float more. Trust me when I say that we looked at almost every boat still in their slings and they are all damaged. A couple of boats had the top deck, windshield, and radar arch scraped off completely.

DJD 09-22-2008 03:15 PM

Is it just me or does something look funny about those new Donzis? If it was a flooded or rain soaked driveway, would fiberglass leave marks like that? I thought the marks would have washed away.:eek:

gerritm 09-22-2008 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJD (Post 2693711)
Is it just me or does something look funny about those new Donzis? If it was a flooded or rain soaked driveway, would fiberglass leave marks like that? I thought the marks would have washed away.:eek:

Nothing fishy. Those boats were washed off their trailers to the middle of the highway after the storm. They hooked on to them and pulled/dragged them into the boat yard after the storm. It hasn't rained since. Every one has been dragged on their keel to get them off the road and keep them from getting looted. The road they were on is the main north south highway in the area. Had to get it open. There was also about a 1/4 mile of wood and debris covering all 4 lanes of the same road.

scarab kv 09-22-2008 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by teamsynergy (Post 2691619)
how many people WANTED their stuff replaced? Not saying that is the story but if you have an old boat... want a new one... no money...hmm huricane coming... just a question. Its horrible to see all the damage... I couldnt imagine having to go through that...

Insurance won't pay squat on an old boat. Least not enough to buy a nicer one.

blueamerican 09-22-2008 06:37 PM

Wow that 26' American Offshore NSX is really hurting...

pshannon 09-22-2008 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by scarab kv (Post 2693760)
Insurance won't pay squat on an old boat. Least not enough to buy a nicer one.

My 89 formula is fully insured for $32k, And how the market is today I really could buy atleast an equal to better value boat if anything happend to mine...But I love my boat and would never want this to happen to it...

kitten 09-22-2008 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lives & homes swept away, so sad. We lived in Cypress years ago and kept our 302 Scarab in/ near ClearLake. I cannot imagine!! God bless. I remember the lifts full of power boats in one entire marina, tops members?

I remain safe in Tampa. :(