Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's common method for paying cash for boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195726-whats-common-method-paying-cash-boat.html)

BraceYourself 09-20-2008 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor (Post 2691654)
I have done that successfully in the past, but I hear of certain banks placing three day holds on all items, including their own. (ouch.) One more reason to have a "local" banker.

Yep, if he's a crook he would know the system and be able to stop the check. Don't think he is though. But I understand the sellers hesitation

MDSmitty 09-20-2008 04:11 PM

No lien.

I thought about wiring, but when I read about how my bank handles it, it sounded like it could take a couple of days for personal accounts. It didn't say anything about being able to call in a wire. It said go to my bank and wire it to the other bank. Maybe I'll stop in when I get a chance and ask.

I think the only way this deal would happen now is if the guy brought the boat to me and went to my bank with me. And I seriously doubt if that's an option.

I guess the question of "How do you wanna be paid?" needs to move up to the top of my list. If it's cash, as in real dollar bills, I'll just move on.

It would be nice if I could find a boat I wanted in my own area. Guess I'm just too picky ... but that ain't gonna change.

BTW, I just watched an episode of The First 48 a couple of weeks ago where someone was lured to Dallas to buy a car by an ad on the Web. It was a setup. They knew the guy was bringing cash and they killed him. The ultimate example of what can go wrong with cash.

McGary911 09-20-2008 04:37 PM

If you're worried about carrying the cash, find a branch of your bank in his area. CAll them ahead of time, as many don't have tons of cash on hand at any given moment. Then get the cash, put it in an aluminum drug-dealer briefcase, drive to his house, and do the deal.

If your bank doesn't have a branch close by, find a bank there, and open up an account just for this deal.

For some people, cash is king. Don't let that burn your deal.

BAJA WILL 09-20-2008 07:08 PM

Humm, Cash is king but I wouldn't carry over 5K with me with out my 9mm. Best is to do the deal at the bank.

BTW I have purchased and sold up to 50K in cash with no problem,

WILL:ernaehrung004:

Break'inWind 09-20-2008 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MDSmitty (Post 2691988)
No lien.

I thought about wiring, but when I read about how my bank handles it, it sounded like it could take a couple of days for personal accounts. It didn't say anything about being able to call in a wire.

As long as you set it up ahead of time, it works great... I also did it on a Baja I bought a ways back... Went to inspect it, liked it, signed everything... made a call. Took my boat home. Check w/your bank, I'm sure they can hook you up.

maritaltension 09-20-2008 07:20 PM

if the guy is not open to anything other than cash , period . then it might be a good idea to not get involved , leave him your phone # and tell him when he changes his mind to give you a call :angry-smiley-055:

GO4BROKE 09-20-2008 08:25 PM

If he wants to move the boat and get paid cash, he should come to you. I would have been happy to do that when I was selling my old boat.

LaughingCat 09-20-2008 08:33 PM

Definitely settle this at his bank. Have a wire set-up. Even if he doesn't have a loan, having his bank offical say you're good means he can transfer title and such on the spot.

Anyone who wants a bag of cash cannot be trusted. Either he's going to mug you when you arrive or he's a drug dealer/money launderer. For that matter, the boat might be stolen. Never sacrifice a money trail.

Powerquest230 09-20-2008 08:36 PM

With all of the fake cashier checks and other scams out there I understand wanting to verify the funds are available.

What if- You exchange paper; you give him cashier's check, he signs off on bill of sale and title(s), and then once check is verified as good or "clears" you pick up the boat.

At least you have a bill of sale and ownership (title) while he is waiting for the check to clear. If he pulled anything funny you would legally be the owner..

Would be easier to do the entire transaction at the bank and have them verify the cashier's check is good.. Oops how do you verify his title is good.... bring the 9mm.:eek:

UNSANE 09-20-2008 09:22 PM

Bring it all to him in unmarked nickels!:evilb: