Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's common method for paying cash for boat? >

What's common method for paying cash for boat?

Notices

What's common method for paying cash for boat?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I'm thinking tat the biggest question should be this. How much cash are you talking about? Is it 5 grand or 75 grand? Big difference.....
I don't think the amount really matters. Read this article.

http://www.quickdfw.com/sharedconten...t.12801db.html

Seems like you could be just as dead for $1,000 as $100,000. Looks like the bank is the only safe place to deal with any significant amount of cash.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered

One nice thing about buying boats from OSO members, you know more than you wanted to know.

Yeah, it was sunk once when "blank" owned it, and then "blank" blew the motors up, but "blank" had Konrads put on it, but then "DollaBill" left DNA in it, and it was stolen from LOTO once, but it was an inside deal, and then it was wrapped up in an FBI investigation and seized once, but then "blank" bought it and re-did the upholstery. Then "blank" had Gellner do the motors. I think that it is in Michigan now.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Pay a lawyer to put the funds in escrow like buying a house. He knows the money is there and you know the money is safe. He gets a check from the lawyer, you take the boat.
Sure makin it more complicated then it really is ,have bought boats all over for green cash 20K, 30K, 50K ,80K,105K,144K never a bit of trouble .. not everyone out there are crooks waiting to bump ya on the head If he wants CASH take em cash and take some $$$$ off for the hassle ... have always gotten some deals on green over wires/checks and do the same good luck
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fund razor
For conversation.... what if it's something in between, say....26k?
For conversation
Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Coast Guard documented boats I have bought & sold, it always involved an agent that handled payment along with transfering the paperwork. A boat broker can probably handle this for you for a small fee as well.

On another note, the more someone wants cash, the less comfortable I am in dealing with them. Most guys are losing money of the transaction so capital gains shouldn't be a consideration. It could be a red flag for a guy transferring an asset that while he may be able to produce a clear title for, he may not be legally permitted to sell it- like a divorce settlement or bankruptcy. You may find yourself in a situation where the boat is seized from you because he lacked the ability to legally convey it. If he doesn't have the cash, that may make him a felon, but it doesn't do you any good.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

On our last Coast Guard documented boat, Lake Ozark Marine Documentation & title service tranfered the title,docs for peanuts $$$ and just needed to see the bill of sale / reciept ,did'nt need a boat broker and this one happened to be a Divrcee sale
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
For conversation
Yeah. Just a random number.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do ya know for sure there's no liens? A bank,Marina,x wife,a pending legal action,etc?

Is it a title state? Like our state when I bought my boat it wasn't a title state, then they changed it,I went and got a title for it.

I had looked at a boat before my Hustler, he had the boat thru Bank of America , there was a second lien on the boat from the previous owner that made 2 loans on the boat,Seller didn't know about it,both loans at max value of the boat,It showed up 2 years later the 2nd lien holder w/ fed marshals come got the boat, Ended up Bank of America didn't do a diligent search on title/coast guard documentation.He got the boat back.Seller was responsible be he signed a bill of sale the stated that the boat was free of all liens and [sp?]cumbersoms.

If its a bunch of money go thru someone that would ck/search for liens,that way they might be responsible ?

like on a bill of sale if seller signs a bill of sale that states its free of all loans doesn't help if he's planing on screwing ya from the beginning,because you want be the only one he did it to.

Bill of sale thread
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=bill+sale

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

PLEASE learn from my mistake!!! DO NOT TAKE THE BOAT FROM HIM OR GIVE HIM MONEY IF HE DOESN'T HAVE THE TITLE IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't matter if you are paying for it with cash, check, credit card, or loan. In this economy, trust has been thrown out of the window in these deals.

It is a $25 fee for the coast guard to run their check to see if there are any outstanding loans on the boat.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

The deal is dead.

The guy wound up insulting me when I wouldn't pay in cash or agree to give him the check and leave the boat.

The fact the boat was advertised on another boat Web site and someone there seemed to know him makes me tend to believe it was not a scam. However, judging by his inarticulateness, casual cussing in the emails, and horrendous spelling I think he was just not too bright.

But this info is good to know for the next time.

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: What's common method for paying cash for boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.