Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sbi/opa. Bad Bad Planning ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19576-sbi-opa-bad-bad-planning.html)

C_Spray 03-10-2002 05:23 PM

Ron P - You are to be commended for being an excellent statesman here and trying to make the best of a tough situation that you have been thrust into the middle of. Stay cool and keep up the good work.

However...

The points raised by Shanghaid Again, DaveP, and Mike Merola (among others) do seem to point to some simmering political or personal issue that is "not quite right" lurking in the background.

If the OPB/SBI is sincere about their relationship with the local volunteers and clubs, all they had to do was pick up the phone and discuss it beforehand. That's true co-operation, and it seems to me missing here. Partnerships are a two-way street - the situation should have been handled differently BEFORE the decision was made.

Ron P 03-10-2002 06:21 PM

Thank your C-Spray. I value your opinion greatly.

I think the problem was that the people who made the date change only looked at conflicts within thier own schedule and not outside. When Scott Blue and I saw the date change, we immediatly raised a red flag but the deed had already been done.

I think we will all need to set this one into the live and learn column. I can assure you that it won't happen again next year.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 03-10-2002 07:02 PM

So Ron, Let me get this straight. New Jersey Offshore wasn't consulted either? The deed was already done? WOW! You really did have this thrown in your lap didn't you? I wish you the best, and I know you will get the race off without a hitch. Good Luck!

Ron P 03-10-2002 08:01 PM

Race dates are scheduled between the Sanctioning Body and the sponsors. NJO is the club that makes the racers safe whenever the race date occurs. I am sure that checking the date of a local poker run never occured to these people.

Boat Girl 03-11-2002 09:53 AM

I dont understand how or why people can take this personally, do you think OPA wanted schedules to conflict, they did not have a choice either...SBI had to change the schedule a bit to allow for more and different race sites, they are trying to expand the sport just a little...I am sure that SBI is not aware of the day to day daily quirks and disagreements between the local divisional groups, not to say that they wouldnt listen, but OPA/SBI and Ron P are doing the best they can to make this unfortunate situation work out...Ron P, as always you know that you can count on me, if there is anything I can help with, you know how to find me...Say hello to the Mrs. for me...and the puppy... :D

Crazyhorse 03-11-2002 11:29 AM

Hi Boatgirl. I was thinking about calling you but looked at the time a nd thought better of it. It was about 10:30pm adn I didn't think you'd appreciate a call that late. Talk to you soon.

DJD 03-11-2002 03:49 PM

How long does it take to run up to Point P. from A.C. considering "fair" conditions?

Ron P 03-11-2002 04:28 PM

I'd say it's about 60 miles, so some boats can make it in an hour and if you come up the bay the whole way it could take 2 1/2 hours at most.

Boat Girl 03-11-2002 04:51 PM

Hey Horse, Sorry, I've been a little out of the loop, 2230, thats early, no problem there...hope all is well with you, looks like fun was had by all at the get together...We just had a plane crash at KTEB on Saturday, one fatality, the pilot. Give me a shout sometime... ;)

C_Spray 03-11-2002 06:01 PM

Well, this is interesting. After naively posting that perhaps this was all simply a matter of poor coordination or bad management, my phone, email, and private message traffic took off. Without going into detail, I am changing my position to one of healthy distaste for the SBI/OPA's tactics on this and other matters. Ron - be careful of the crowd you swim with, buddy, and good luck.

God, could you even IMAGINE the wailing and hand-wringing hue and cry if the "evil-empire APBA" had done something like this? The board would be on fire with strident messages of wrongdoing from the oppressed.

Sad.

"Most people deserve each other." How true.