Notices

Compound and Wax

Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Compound and Wax

What is the determining factor on deciding if you should compound first. I have a 2000 cigarette that the paint and clear coat is in really good shape, really no oxidation or any of that. There is some minor stuff but nothing at all major.

Is it bad to compound a boat if it doesnt need it. I have done a few boats with the 3m compound followed by the 3m wax and had great results. Im thinking of doing it this weekend to the Cig but dont want to compound if it could result in a negative
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered

also, do all waxes have UV protection? i want to use the 3m wax/cleaner
Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
What is the determining factor on deciding if you should compound first. I have a 2000 cigarette that the paint and clear coat is in really good shape, really no oxidation or any of that. There is some minor stuff but nothing at all major.

Is it bad to compound a boat if it doesnt need it. I have done a few boats with the 3m compound followed by the 3m wax and had great results. Im thinking of doing it this weekend to the Cig but dont want to compound if it could result in a negative
Boomer, I look at it this way. Each time you compound something you remove some of the material (gel coat, clear coat etc). Unless you have some major oxidation or have blemishes in the paint/gel that need to be wet-sanded and compounded, I wouldn't use a "compound". And, if you use an agressive/coarse compound, then you have a few steps between the compound and final glaze to get all of the haze and swirl out of it.

If the boat just doesn't quite shine as brilliantly as you might want, try a simple cleaner followed with a wax or cleaner/wax combo. That's all I ever do to mine and it shines like new. I am planning to try the Leverage Marine products as well. Have heard rave reviews about them.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

i tried the leverage, i have no complaints, just want to try a wax this time
Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
i tried the leverage, i have no complaints, just want to try a wax this time
Make sure that WAX is formulated for gel coats or marine use. Don't use an automotive wax, they contain different polymers and whatnot, which can actually discolor gel coats.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Make sure that WAX is formulated for gel coats or marine use. Don't use an automotive wax, they contain different polymers and whatnot, which can actually discolor gel coats.
Absolutely!!! Make sure it is a wax designated for marine use.