Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rx Prescription Googles/Sunglasses: Who's work best? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/196011-rx-prescription-googles-sunglasses-whos-work-best.html)

boatman22 09-24-2008 04:55 PM

Wiley X I have 2 pairs and they have removable gasket to keep the wind out of you eyes.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...P&ItemCode=624

Smarty 09-24-2008 05:00 PM

I have looked at the Wiley X SG1 goggle type, but that Oakley "Monster Dog" is a sharp looking piece. Great suggestions. If the wind gets under those Oakley "Monster Dogs" than they are wothless to me, are they tight fiiting sunglass for you (minimal to no wind leak?)?

Smarty 09-24-2008 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Carder (Post 2696058)
Smarty,
Great quesion you raised... Go to the rudyproject.com website and look at all the different options for athletes that require a script. They are the best, and since I am an eye doctor to support my boating addiction, I ought to know.

Also, check out the discount site erudy.com to get an idea of prices for frames as well as prescription lenses, inserts, etc.
I typically can get them for you for slightly less than the erudy.com prices.

I sell a couple pairs a week in my practice and they are off the charts in innovation and quality.

Carder

Which rudyproject Rx models do you have experience with in regards to durability, and wind tightness in the sunglass model (not the goggle). I would prefer sunglasses instead of goggles, but goggles will probably be the best for my application, opinion?

berns29scarab 09-24-2008 07:31 PM

hey smarty...how ya doing bro ? you and the family hanging in there? any luck selling the boat ?

GatorDave 09-24-2008 07:34 PM

I've got a pair of Oakley gas cans that work great. I also have a pair of Wiley X that are the best at keeping the wind out. Just get the removable foam. If your just sitting around the dock they sweat a lot on the inside when the foam is in.

ROTAX454 09-24-2008 09:16 PM

If you are looking for a true goggle, I believe the web site is
"Pro Vue". He converts Scott goggles with a px lens. I use them for sledding. The best.

Smarty 09-24-2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab (Post 2696404)
hey smarty...how ya doing bro ? you and the family hanging in there? any luck selling the boat ?

The new 540's, and the new graphics are in the boat; we are towing the boat to Phantom and the motors will be pulled by Will Smith and sent to Innovation for dyno-ing and tuning.

We have not put it up for sale. If we sell it it will not be until it is dialed in completely - engines, props, ect - I need to test these sunglasses I want to buy, lol. We may keep the boat in the family, that has been discussed.

It has been tough since my father's passing, but we are hanging in there, thanks for asking.

Stephen

Carder 09-25-2008 06:50 AM

Smarty,
I use the Horus model... the lenses slip out, and they are the easiest to make Rx lenses for. I also like the Jekyl frame, it is a rimless, so making Rx lenses are more complicated, but look and work great. You will see Rx'able frames on the site that meet safety ANSI stds, so you have a huge range of strength, style, and Rx options. Most of my contact lens patients get these, since they can switch from Non-Rx lenses to Rx'able, so they can use them with or without their lenses.

IM4A2Z: The E rudy site is e-rudy.com
sorry, forgot the dash.

Carder

wrinkleface 09-25-2008 06:59 AM

On my 2nd pair of Oakley sunglasses mainly 4 the boat. Work great, many styles & colors 2 choose from! Good Luck!

gerritm 09-25-2008 07:10 AM

It depends on how heavy your prescription is as to what type of frames you can use. I have a very heavy presciption and the Wiley X work very well. I ordered them thru a company that specializes in those type of frames call Heavyglare.com. I also have a pair made at my local eye doctor in Costas frames. Look at motorcycle type sunglasses with the foam eye cups to keep the wind down.