Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Taking a boat to Canada and Selling it >

Taking a boat to Canada and Selling it

Notices

Taking a boat to Canada and Selling it

Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thorough this. Bring all documents and then bring copies of all documents for your return trip. Crossing the border be prepared to spend about an hour at customs they will check all your docs on the way in as well as give you forms for taxes. On the way back be prepared to spend an hour or more for the US side to check out your paperwork. Be prepared to have your vehicle searched as well as turning over the cash to border agents as they check out your story. In my opinion it would be much easier to make two trips. One for the test drive. Then do the transaction via wire transfer then another trip for delivery.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered

My buyer worked for the government. He brought a certified check drawn on my local bank. I gave him a detailed bill of sale which broke out the trailer. It also listed all extra equipment. He spent an extra hour getting over the Ambassador bridge. All was good. Sent me a thumbs up email. He just didn't lie about the tax stuff.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

Ok,

Ive talked to both the US, Canadian customes. Long and short of it is that the GSC and PST have to be paid before I leave Canada. They recomended that I have the buyer meet me at Canadian customs. He would then pay it on the spot when I hit Canadian customs. Problem is he is then committed to buying it before his test ride.
So my plan is to go to the border, tell, them that I am just simply boating, go for the test ride,assumning he takes it we both, go back to Canadian customs, he pays both taxes and we both go home?

I'm going to make another run at this guy to just do it in on the other side of the river in Pt.Huron, it will probably be less jackin around and time when its all said and done.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunshadow
I've been thorough this. Bring all documents and then bring copies of all documents for your return trip. Crossing the border be prepared to spend about an hour at customs they will check all your docs on the way in as well as give you forms for taxes. On the way back be prepared to spend an hour or more for the US side to check out your paperwork. Be prepared to have your vehicle searched as well as turning over the cash to border agents as they check out your story. In my opinion it would be much easier to make two trips. One for the test drive. Then do the transaction via wire transfer then another trip for delivery.
So did you pay the taxes when you returned back?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still be careful of a certfied check. There are lots of those out there now too!! Some dealers even wait for a certfied check to clear before closing the deal. Plus is he paying in Canadian or US$? There is an exchange difference too.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I brought a seadoo over the border in june which I bought in NY and brought to Ont. it is much easier, and much faster to do the deal in the states. the new owner will have to go into canadian customs and pay the duty, then bring that form to get it registered. you will also have to have the trailer checked and certified and pay a fee for that. it is much easier to have the purchase go through in the states, and have the new owner will all the proper documents bring the boat over himself. By the way, it is really helpful to bring an ad of the boat that says the purchase price because they asked me to prove how I located the SeaDoo and how much it cost, to ensure that they did not write a fake invoice to pay lower taxes on it. If everything is set up correctly which for mine it was, I was over the bridge in under 15 minutes. Good luck
Jon
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Registered

I think you should have the canadian cross his own border going home with his own paperwork and pay his own taxes. I think that would be the easiest for everybody, including customs.
Otherwise it is quite literally... an international event.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Send a private message to OSO member JS232.

He's from Montreal and I sold a boat to him. He was very organized, new exactly what to do, and everything went very smooth. I towed the boat for him. He led me in his car and handled the border.

Neil
Old 09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turnerrd
So did you pay the taxes when you returned back?
No it was a while ago and I guess I forgot to mention I had a committed buyer and paid taxes on the way in.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

Have the buyer take the boat across the border himself. Test it in the US. It took me about an hour to bring my boat across the border, it wasn't difficult if all the paperwork is in order. Google it, lots has been written on the procedure.