Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Taking a boat to Canada and Selling it (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/196022-taking-boat-canada-selling.html)

turnerrd 09-24-2008 02:36 PM

Taking a boat to Canada and Selling it

Just as it says. Will be crossing into Ontario at Sarnia with the boat in tow. Take the new prospective buyer for a test ride on that side of the river. If he likes it, he takes the boat back to Toronto, I take the money back across the border and home.
Does anyone know for certain whats involved in that if there are any fees, taxes, or what I need to declair. Title for boat and trailer are free and clear.

Thanks

ar15meister 09-24-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by turnerrd (Post 2696087)
Just as it says. Will be crossing into Ontario at Sarnia with the boat in tow. Take the new prospective buyer for a test ride on that side of the river. If he likes it, he takes the boat back to Toronto, I take the money back across the border and home.
Does anyone know for certain whats involved in that if there are any fees, taxes, or what I need to declair. Title for boat and trailer are free and clear.

Thanks

Sounds like you are asking for trouble. I would suggest contacting Canada Customs. Also you may have an issue carrying that amount of money over the border.

fund razor 09-24-2008 02:45 PM

When I sold a boat to a canadian, he came to the US, drove and bought the boat, and took the title and a bill of sale across the border with him, declaring it at the time.

It was no problem for him, he had the boat and all the documents.

turnerrd 09-24-2008 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ar15meister (Post 2696094)
Sounds like you are asking for trouble. I would suggest contacting Canada Customs. Also you may have an issue carrying that amount of money over the border.

Do you have the number for Canadian Customs? Won't be cash, certified check.

turnerrd 09-24-2008 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor (Post 2696097)
When I sold a boat to a canadian, he came to the US, drove and bought the boat, and took the title and a bill of sale across the border with him, declaring it at the time.

It was no problem for him, he had the boat and all the documents.

Thats what was supposed to happen last weekend , now he's crunched for time Sat morning and doesn't want risk getting tied up at the border. Does any one know for sure if the deal goes down like this?

Fountain38SC 09-24-2008 03:22 PM

Certified check - no way. Wire transfer to your bank. If something goes wrong, you will be trying to collect from a foreign citizen in a foreign country. Definitely not worth the risk.

dbc 09-24-2008 04:41 PM

Bought a boat in Ohio 2 years ago and brouhgt it into Ontario. Not complicated but you need to know what you are doing. Dont try to avoid the taxes or you could face a large fine. See the following link for details. Keep in mind the boat and trailer are 2 separate items and have to have their own bills of sale. To be honest the trailer was more of a pain than the boat.

Make sure you have a deregistration from the State on the trailer.

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

TUFFboat 09-24-2008 05:58 PM

Much easier on everybody to have the Canadian meet you at the ramp at the first exit, (1/2mi from the boarder) in port Huron. Then he crosses with boat and detailed receipt.

Your way will have you sign document at the boarder, declaring that you will be back or they will send you a bill.
If the guy can't come the extra 1/2mi. something is wrong.

otis311 09-24-2008 07:08 PM

Be VERY VERY aware of all the laws associated with this. A good friend of mine crossed over into Canada with the intent to sell his boat and had pre signed the title overto the new owner and the Canadian Police thru him in jail for several hours and siezed the boat for weeks. The thought he was skipping out on paying the tax( which he wasnt) It cost him about 40K to get the charges taken care of and he was doing NOTHING wrong.

Hot Stepper 09-24-2008 07:15 PM

If he wants it bad enough make him come get it. Take him for a test run in you area. Let him worry about all the costums docs and registration and what ever other paper work there maybe.