Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Documenting a boat vs Registration with the state >

Documenting a boat vs Registration with the state

Notices

Documenting a boat vs Registration with the state

Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louisiana was the only state with the "loophole" where if you documented your boat you did not have to register it, hence, no sales tax. However, just last week they passed a new law that all boats must be registered with the Louisiana Department Wildlife and Fisheries, even if they were already documented.

Oh yeah, I was also told that the "Delaware Corp." is going away also.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Laid Back
Louisiana was the only state with the "loophole" where if you documented your boat you did not have to register it, hence, no sales tax. However, just last week they passed a new law that all boats must be registered with the Louisiana Department Wildlife and Fisheries, even if they were already documented.

If you are documented in VA you do NOT have to register.

Off the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries Website

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating.../procedure.asp

Documented Vessels
Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard cannot be titled in Virginia. Though there is no requirement that documented vessels be registered, owners may register them if desired. The registration decals may be useful if traveling to another state that requires display of registration decals. Contact the Department for an application or use the application provided at this site and prominently write "Documented Vessel" at the top.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevint
Has anybody documented there boat instead of registering it with the state and did the state come back and say you still need to register it and pay the sales tax ? I am being told by the state of Michigan i still have to register it and pay the sales tax. I called there1-800 number , anonymously of course.This is a bunch of crap, I understand the state wants there sales tax , but to pay them every 3 years for there sticker is bull. Has anybody just documented there boat and just said screw the what ever state there in ?
I assume that your vessel exceeds 5 tons?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Has anybody documented there boat instead of registering it with the state and did the state come back and say you still need to register it and pay the sales tax ? I am being told by the state of Michigan i still have to register it and pay the sales tax. I called there1-800 number , anonymously of course.This is a bunch of crap, I understand the state wants there sales tax , but to pay them every 3 years for there sticker is bull. Has anybody just documented there boat and just said screw the what ever state there in ?

In missouri the sales tax is about 1/2 when you document the boat. That means you have a boat name and a home port on the back. You still have to pay the state for the little square sticker every couple of yrs. But all in all you save money on the documentation over the state numbers.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laid Back

No schit? Hadn't heard that. Gonna suck for a lot of people I know.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=seafordguy;2696908]If you are documented in VA you do NOT have to register.

Off the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries Website

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating.../procedure.asp

Here's where I ran into trouble when I bought my Powerplay. A little off-subject, but when I bought the boat it came from Georgia. Just like Virginia here, the DNR handles registration of PWC and watercraft and only issue's registration. In Michigan, where I reside, this is handled by the DMV (SOS). Two problems arose here. 1. The Michigan SOS does not recognise a registration issued by the DNR as a valid proof of ownership & 2. If the watercraft meets the criteria in the State of Michigan to be a titled watercraft, then you must have a title in hand to transfer. It took a few months, but we got it all figured out.

I remember when my friend bought his boat from LOTO. I remember the guy he bough it from had to pay taxes then, instead of when he bought it 3 years previous. When we brought the boat back to Michigan, he didn't mess around. Just paid the State sales tax and paid the standard registration fee's.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I believe falsely registering a boat in a state which you are not a resident is a crime. Your state of residency is the one in which you file your Federal taxes from. You can incorporate in another state and pay those sales taxes and registrations but that can be alot of hassle. Some states (I believe NJ is one) require local registration if you keep the boat there more than the prescribed number of days. If you incorporate the boat in another state and house it in another, you'll most likely have to register as a foreign corporation operating in that state. Alot of hassle unless you'rer talking about a yacht
if you boat and your boat is mainly located in a state that you do not reside in as far as i know you had better have that boat registered in that state. i may be wrong but that is my understanding.

also hailing port as i know is anywhere you want it to be, as long as it is a u.s city, you dont have to have that be your home port.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The key word was "falsely". Registering as an individual in a state you don't reside in for the purposes of avoiding taxes is a no no.

Yes- hailing port can me anywhere in the U.S.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

You will get hassled by the marine patrol with no sticker.

Just go to the Motor vehicle office in the most busted up ghetto neighborhood, and tell them you already have title, just need the sticker. Show them the coast guard documentation paperwork as proof.

Worked great for me, the worst neighborhoods have the incompetants as employees.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The key word was "falsely". Registering as an individual in a state you don't reside in for the purposes of avoiding taxes is a no no.

Yes- hailing port can me anywhere in the U.S.
got it, thanks for the clairification. i have had 3 boats documented one that i do not use on my home waters and still get very confused with it. i guess just like the rest of my life.

Quick Reply: Documenting a boat vs Registration with the state

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.