Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New to the forum, help selecting a boat questions. >

New to the forum, help selecting a boat questions.

Notices

New to the forum, help selecting a boat questions.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, help selecting a boat questions.

First post on here, out of Destin Florida.

As a kid my dad had a 1989 Baja 24 foot with a 502 Merc in it and I remember how it used to scare the daylights out of me. Well my obsession with speed translated into cars and that's where it's all about to change as I sold my toys on the street and am looking to get into something fast on the water.

I don't even know where to start as i've been watching videos on youtube of different boats and it's like a different language to me compared to dealing with cars. I know some brands but don't know what's what.

I guess to help me out I should list some goals of what i'm wanting.

I live on the water but the depth sometimes is shallow, 2 feet or less depending on the tide. So launching the boat will be the ideal thing.

I'd like something between 20-26 foot, single motor, price range is between 20-35k so obviously it will be a used boat and i'm not sure what to expect as far as top speed wise as that will be something i'm interested in.

Is there one brand of boat out there that modifying is cheaper than another like how a mustang is cheaper to make fast than a corvette but in most cases you start out faster in the vette vs the stang... etc.

I've been looking at baja's, checkmates, panteras and a few others.

Another question is how would insurance be on a boat like i'm looking for.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Spyder,

Go see Mitch or Gary at Captains Choice Boats, they're on Eglin Parkway near Racetrak in Fort Walton Beach. Super stand up guys, they take care of their customers and they have a nice selection of new and used boats.

Rich "dicdik"
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Thanks! I'm actually heading over there in about an hour to pick up some equipment for my business.

I just read another members thread where he was buying a boat and wanted to be able to outrun jetski's etc and the advice given was great as it pertains to the amount of room to grow with said platform. Is it possible to make a V hull in that length run deep into the 70's/80's still be stable and not cause you to have to refinance your house haha? Or would it be best to find a CAT style boat and go from there as far as speed goes?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Hey Spyder!!

Welcome to OSO!!

This is a great place. The information on OSO will blow you away. There is not a question you can ask that won't get answered!

Sometimes it might be hard to remember this, but there are some real "heavy hitters" on here for sure. I have watched some people stir up trouble and they get blasted outta here pretty quick!

Oh... If you can swing it, a membership is a totally good idea also as it opens up even more stuff on here!

Best of Luck to You!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome Spyder..im on the island right after you pass club 10 and before you hit the water...i work at Gary Smith Ford...stop by and say hi....my name is Chip
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getchasum111
welcome Spyder..im on the island right after you pass club 10 and before you hit the water...i work at Gary Smith Ford...stop by and say hi....my name is Chip
Good deal man, I live off of Indian trail about a 1 1/2 mile past joes bayou. I was actually at Gary Smith yesterday picking up my work truck. Small world. I just sold my built/whippled lightning this month and was torn between getting into another mustang or having a water toy my girl and friends could enjoy since it's about to be summer and crab island will be a blast.

This was mt dad's Baja.

Last edited by spyder1337; 03-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by spyder1337
Good deal man, I live off of Indian trail about a 1 1/2 mile past joes bayou. I was actually at Gary Smith yesterday picking up my work truck. Small world. I just sold my built/whippled lightning this month and was torn between getting into another mustang or having a water toy my girl and friends could enjoy since it's about to be summer and crab island will be a blast.

This was mt dad's Baja.

come check out the boss 302 that just came in...but i would rather see you at crab island tied up with me having some cold ones...and cool old school baja...something that size is all you need on the ICW...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Hi Spyder, welcome on board.

I noted you talked about mods in your post. For a first boat, I'd suggest you get something that is as you like it, out of the box. Get to know it, drive the snot out of it and sell it when you are ready to step up. 80+ mph can be a handfull in a 20-26 footer, so keep that in mind. About brands, well that is a pretty subjective thing. Personally, I'd look into a Fountain 27 Fever or a Baja 24/25 Outlaw in your case, but that is just me.

Happy hunting

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 03-26-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Baja 25OL can be had in that price range. 496/502 puts you right around 70. Put a huffer on it and you can get deep into the 70's.

Fountain 27' is a smaller boat than the 25OL and a bit more expensive, but faster with the same power.

Don't forget about the Sunsation Aggressor. Another boat in that size and price range.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome to OSO, good luck on your boat hunting, now is a great time to buy a boat.......

BTW, I lived in Navarre Beach back in the mid 90's, LOVED boating there in FWB/Navarre beach area. Crab island is a blast!
Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.