Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New Cummins/Mercruiser Project >

New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Notices

New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to see an Audi /VW diesel program, I bet that could really give a gas engine a run for the money.

Too bad it could cost 5 times a gas engine but with volume it could be affordable?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Here,s a guy that put a Audi V6 TDI turbodiesel in a Searay 20 ft or so,he replaced the Alpha with a Bravo 1 ,the engine has 20 K kilometers ,and came out of a wrecked audi .

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=hH26-u...eature=related

http://www.snelleboten.nl/viewtopic.php?t=5821

scroll down on the last link for pics

Last edited by stirling; 10-05-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I did a 07 43 Nor-tech project with the 480hp Yanmars and ASD-8's. It was a bullit proof package. To give you some stats...The Nor-Tech is 44.6 and weighs 14200k and we topped out 74.6. We could have done more prop testing and changed a few things, but a buyer came along and I was willing to sell. My goal was 80 top end. I wish you good luck and if I can help you in anyway, send me a pm. Jeff
Old 10-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Jassman

Wat transmissions did you use single speed or 2 speed ?
And how did your boat accelerate out of the hole ?
and from 40-70 ?
Old 10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

This the diesel boat for me

http://www.mysticpowerboats.com/boat...700/index.html
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stirling
On my old Ford F 250 ,I repaced the probe from after the turbo to pre turbo ,and saw a 250 degrees difference in temp
Before the turbo its a little hotter,its not something to overlook when on the edge.
The bolt that can be removed to install the pyro on my Yanmars are pre turbo as well.

I run the probes in my outboards powered catamaran also all the time ,and I have never lost a piece probe .
Even when I had a #5 cilinder meltdown and the piston came out the exhaust port in liquid form the molten ali sat into the exhaust port right on top of the probe .
Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
how about a pre and a post turbo gauge?
Only time we usually use a preturbo prob is during R&D work. Once you know whats happening on both sides of the turbo monitoring only on the outside is necessary. That 250 degree drop across the turbo is normal. Also it will drop about 100 degrees for every inch away from the face of the turbo outlet till you reach the point of maximum initial exhaust gas expansion.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
First! the normal position of a pyrometer is on the outlet side of the turbo in the event of a failure nothing goes through the turbo.
Second! pyrometer probes can handle temperatures of over 1500F. If it ever got hot enough to destroy the probe the engine would've had a meltdown first.
Third! diesel engines are real easy to destroy by over boosting or over loading. That is why a pyrometer is just about always installed. The pyrometer will give you a heads up before anything else that your heading for something bad.

I assume you are not familar with the yanmar 440 he is running. The port for the exhaust temp is before the turbo, thats why i wanted to make sure he understood that. Most probes may be able to handle the temps, but I have seen these engines run over 1500 degrees and run that way for a while. I bet you the majority of diesel boats out there don't run pyros. especially now that most of them are controlled electronically, its not as easy to turn up the power. unless you have the program to do so. As of yet, yanmar won't let us touch anything on the new motors. The easiest way to know if your motor is overloaded is to check the WOT rpms. If you are not turning the recomended rpms then you need to cut back on your props or the load in the boat.

We ran the engines in the race boat at 1550 egts spinning up near 3600 rpms. However I would not recomend doing so since yours is a pleasure boat that you want to keep running reliably for a long time to come. I know the boat was sold to Greece a couple of years ago, and is still running well. I don't think the engines were ever turned back down.

Last edited by obrien; 10-05-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jassman

and from 40-70 ?
Nortec runs the zf 280-1A gear, which is not a 2speed. The ratios depend on the hull. I am pretty sure the 39 runs a 1.18:1 ratio. I think the 43 is up closer to 1.5:1 but not 100% sure on that. the 39 will run in the 80-83 range pretty much anytime. Keep in mind these ratios are on the newer electronic 480.

The other thing used with the ASD 8 drives is a vent tube going down to the prop to help with the holeshot.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obrien
I assume you are not familar with the yanmar 440 he is running. The port for the exhaust temp is before the turbo, thats why i wanted to make sure he understood that. Most probes may be able to handle the temps, but I have seen these engines run over 1500 degrees and run that way for a while. I bet you the majority of diesel boats out there don't run pyros. especially now that most of them are controlled electronically, its not as easy to turn up the power. unless you have the program to do so. As of yet, yanmar won't let us touch anything on the new motors. The easiest way to know if your motor is overloaded is to check the WOT rpms. If you are not turning the recomended rpms then you need to cut back on your props or the load in the boat.

We ran the engines in the race boat at 1550 egts spinning up near 3600 rpms. However I would not recomend doing so since yours is a pleasure boat that you want to keep running reliably for a long time to come. I know the boat was sold to Greece a couple of years ago, and is still running well. I don't think the engines were ever turned back down.
It takes about 30 minutes to drill & tap the mixing elbow on a 6LY3-ETP so you can install a post turbo probe.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Jassman

and from 40-70 ?

single speed

lagged for a few seconds, turbo kicked in and got up on plane easily and accelerated good like a 525 boat

after 69-70 reaching the top end 74.6 took a while.

Quick Reply: New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.