New Cummins/Mercruiser Project >

New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Notices

New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember Mastry Marine had designed an inner transom match for Yanmar diesel to a Bravo drive some years ago. In fact, there used to be a cat with this setup in Key West that would take 10-12 passengers on a tour around the island. Seems like it ran 60-ish?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-inventing the wheel?

Originally Posted by Gordo
I remember Mastry Marine had designed an inner transom match for Yanmar diesel to a Bravo drive some years ago. In fact, there used to be a cat with this setup in Key West that would take 10-12 passengers on a tour around the island. Seems like it ran 60-ish?
The Yanmar engine has an SAE industrial fly wheel set up. There has always been off the shelf parts to hook up SAE industrial flywheel set ups to Bravos.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 PM

xx

Last edited by 29Firefox; 10-06-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Post doubled up
Old 10-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
The Yanmar engine has an SAE industrial fly wheel set up. There has always been off the shelf parts to hook up SAE industrial flywheel set ups to Bravos.
On my other diesel boat ,a Sonic 28 with a Yanmar 6 LY ,I needed a bellhouse for a bravo to yanmar 6LY ,I called a lot of people in the US ,and did a lot of search ,but could not found a bellhouse ... I used a tailstock and a special made splined adapter to make the connection between enginea and drive,I was thinking about making one from a solid plate ali
If I only knew where to buy one back then...
Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered

was it this one(this pic taken may this year)
Attached Thumbnails New Cummins/Mercruiser Project-boatsell-057h.jpg  
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes about 30 minutes to drill & tap the mixing elbow on a 6LY3-ETP so you can install a post turbo probe.

Only problem is your exhaust temp is no longer accurate, it will be cooler that the reading you should get.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

The boat you are refering to is the Sea Rocket. there have been 15 or so built so far, and with the exception of the first two that were not built as sea rockets,we have been involved at Mastry with all of them. These boats all run 6LPs and bravo ones. The boats run in the 55-60 range.

To answer the question about the sterndrive package for yanmars, yes Mastry is the one who created that package. We had a casting made for a sterndrive bell housing that would allow the 6LP to mate with the bravo drives. We have also done a few boats with the 6LY engines and bravos, however those engines really have too much tq for the bravo drives. The only real success we had with the LY bravo combo was in a 36 Spectre cat with 2 speed transmissions and bravos. The boat ran just over 100 mph.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS
was it this one(this pic taken may this year)

That is one of the boats we did about 2 years ago, if I remember correctly.

stirling, I know we used to have a casting that would bolt the LY engines to a bravo inner transom plate.

29firefox is right there is a way to adapt the inboard version of the 6lp using a jack shaft setup, or we can covert them over to a sterndrive application.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by obrien
Only problem is your exhaust temp is no longer accurate, it will be cooler that the reading you should get.
It will be "accurate". Just "proportionally" lower. Just mark the zones on the gauge so the operator can understand whats going on. I use automotive decal vinyl around the outer edges of the bezel it sticks to the glass real good. Operators don't always read the numbers on gauges right. Anything important like oil pressure, coolant temp, pyrometer etcetera get some green, yellow and red so the operator can tell at a glance what his status is.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered

It will be "accurate". Just "proportionally" lower. Just mark the zones on the gauge so the operator can understand whats going on. I use automotive decal vinyl around the outer edges of the bezel it sticks to the glass real good. Operators don't always read the numbers on gauges right. Anything important like oil pressure, coolant temp, pyrometer etcetera get some green, yellow and red so the operator can tell at a glance what his status is.
I know what you mean about operators not always reading things right. the more simple you can make it the better.

Quick Reply: New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.