If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Off topic, kinda PSD question

This is kinda off topic since I'm asking about my tow vecihile it is close to topic.

I have a 01' F250 SuperDuty shortbed with 3.73 and right at 27,500 miles. My question is this I have been loosing mpg over the last few months. Last year I would average 18-19 mpg unloaded and around 13 pulling the boat. I'm now lucky to get 16 mpg unloaded and if I pull the boat(been doing winter repairs)it drops to 10-11 . I know that winter blend will hurt fuel milage but that much I have a co-worker with a 99 psd longbed 4.10's with a 75hp chip and is getting 18-19 unloaded. What is up with this ???? HELP

Charter Member Charter Member Katdrvr's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '84' Chris Cat '82' Excalbur Hawk 40 '93' Scarab Sprint
    Gretna, Ne
    I lose about 20-25% on fuel milage in the winter with my 00 PSD. Have you checked your air filter and fuel filter?

Charter Member #737 Charter Member KCHOTBOAT's Avatar
    My Boats:
    28 Apache
    LOTO 31 mm ,Overland Park, KS
    Mine goes down in the winter also.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    You're numbers are not too far off from what most will experience. Depending on where you live in the country and what the temps are, Diesel #1 is mixed in certain proportions with normal Disesl #2 to prevent gelling. It's not uncommon, like Katdrvr said, to lose upwards of 25%. fuel efficiency.

My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION

I normally get right around 30 mpg, and with winter gas it drops to around 24, so with your truck I would assume those numbers are correct..

Dallas, Tx, USA
    I'm a PSD owner too (97 F350 crew cab) and I suggest the fuel and air filters to and oil change. I stay on top of mine pretty regularly and don't have much of a difference in mpg winter/summer but is a little more mild here (except 20 degrees last weekend, thank God for block heaters). Good luck!

Thanks All

I replaced the fuel filter last oil change(24,500)and am going to replace the air filter next oil change(almost there). Hopefully it goes back up. I did notice that depending on where I got fuel my milage would really take a hit. I now go to only stations with high truck traffic.

Thanks again!!

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    I am getting btwn 15 and 16 per gallon right now myself. I was a little disapointed as all the claims of high miles per gallon that everyone was saying. I have seen as high as 18 but my TRUE average is 15-16 on the computer. I have a 99 crew cab dually.

I was wondering myself about the milage ass some times my truck will take off like it is on fire and other times it falls on its face, comparativly. I really LOVE the truck just have to get this little deal taken care of and the shifting at spots that I do not like taken care of.

I have a 2001 PSD and tend to lose a little bit in the winter as well.

283CHECK makes a good point to try and fill up at truck stops where a lot of fuel is pumped instead of smaller stations that have fuel sitting in tanks for a longer period.