38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ? >

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Notices

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Old 03-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back4more,

I thought the trim tabs were just steps to get on the swim platform, that is why I went with the longer ones?
Old 03-18-2002, 12:45 PM
KN
Registered

Originally posted by skater
Back4more ,
I do own a 37 AVH Active Thunder , and it has over 50 hours on it , most spent in the 80 MPH plus range blasting from one wave top to the next with a huge smile on my face.
As for big tabs ?? You never have to use them unless there is a stong wind hitting you from the side . Hell you don't even put them down when coming up on plane .
I have been in many hi performance vee bottom boats and I have yet to find a boat that will handle and fly like a Thunder . Unless you go for a GOOD ride in true 3 footers or bigger its hard to explain how nice these boats really handle..

Mark House 37' AVH Thunder owner

P.S. : By the way , I actually am a World Champion Offshore racer ( BODYGUARD S - 69 )................................

Hey Mark congratulations on your world championship. Iv'e seen S-69 race several times, and is one of my favorite boats. It' nice to have a responce from someone who can back it up, some of these treads get away from their original topic.

I wanted to coment on the add Active Thunder had in powerboat magazine. "Active Thunder is the Skater of Vee Bottoms" I don't think its a good idea to compare yourself to another manufacturer or try to benefit from there success. Skater has established themselves as the king of cats. I understand AT is trying to do the same for V bottoms.

After all if Skater builds a V bottom, which I unerstand they are, (F-2 boat with Baja ? ) won't it will be the Skater of V bottoms. I wish I had to choose between a Active Thunder and a Cigarette.

Mark, good luck racing this year.

Kirk
Old 03-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirk ,

Thanks for the nice word . Next time you are at a races make sure you come over and introduce yourself. I am really gald we are one of your favorite raceboats .
As for the comparison between Skater and Active Thunder . What I am trying to get across is before owning a Skater I owned several other brand cats and have been in and drove even more. But as soon as I took a ride in a Skater and experianced the speed and handling they are capable of I knew then and there I would never own another cat other than a SKATER.... And I own several of them now , and very happy with everyone of them.
When it came time for me to purchase a large performance vee bottom with all the amenities ( wifes idea ) I never got too excited about it . But the first weekend out in my new 37 we were in a poker run in Va. beach in 3 - 4 footers and by the end of the day I knew I would never buy another vee bottom . This boat impressed me , and I am not easily impressed.
And of course all the above is just one persons opinion , but I try to be as honest and informative as possible ..
Like you said if someone is to the point of having to deciede what offshore wave beater to buy , keep in mind , most people would love to have that deceision to worry about .. And no matter what kind of boat you have or how big it is , its all about having a good time on the water .....
Mark
Old 03-18-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered

Hey thats a great idea dan...why didn't I think of that...can you buy just the lowers, and are they a direct swap?

As for looking for a 42(+or- 4') there is a 93 in the classifieds with #5's...great project boat.

Or if you have about $160K layin around there is a 93 with custom paint and fresh (still at the builder) 572ci Blower motors with #3's going up for sale soon.
Its a fresh water boat that does 100+ in ruff water...5-7's that is

Last edited by Back4More; 03-18-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:51 PM
ssherman

Back for more what power and speeds are you seeing with your setup? The boat i am considering is the old Ohio Steele it set the kiloat 123 but i think it had like 1300 per side just to much for a pleasure boat.

Old 03-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Registered

back4more,

Old 03-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Gosh, willy jeapers, and I thought us Thunder Guys knew everything, Im going to hang around the Fountain board, then maybe I could learn something JUST KIDDING GUYS
Old 03-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Registered

This is most likely a better buy...never a race boat and low hours.
..........................1992 FOUNTAIN LIGHTNING, 42' THIS BOAT WAS CUSTOM BUILT FOR ROSS PEROT !! NO DOLLAR SPARED. it has very low hours and was stored in his airplane hangar.It has custom built Kinetic 600 inch dry sumped, normally aspirated motors that dyno at over 800 horsepower. It has Huber transmissions with Mercury Racing No.6 drives.The boat has race hatches and custom interior with center steering and three stand up bolsters across front ,room for four across the back. It comes with three Simmons race helmets with intercom system. If you want a Poker Run boat this is it !! 100 + MPH.
Attached Thumbnails 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?-ross.jpg  
Old 03-19-2002, 01:46 AM
Registered

No lakes in Kentucky There are several huge lakes in Kentucky. Lake Cimberland, Dale hollow and Kentucky Lake.

Lake Cumberland is the best, not as crowded as LOTO with more open water to run in. If you run from Burnside to the dam, its nearly 60 miles. No building allowed on the lake shore so no condos or resorts to deal with.

Look at a map, its about 75 miles south of Lexington.

back4more, hope you make the trip. Its a great opportunity to run with some really fast boats on an excellent lake in an event that there is money to be won:

Go to midamericanboating.com
Old 03-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

jassman---10' to 12' footers--where you measuring from--i think more than bikinis would be flying off

Quick Reply: 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.