38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ? >

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Notices

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Old 03-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But nobody has seen the "new AT cabins" to my knowledge. Only pics of a drawing on the site. All this is speculation and expectation until the first boat is done. If they had one done before, why not show us pics then? I don't doubt they'll be nice, but how can you say at this point for certain?

My guess as to why that OL is on the for sale page is AT obtained one to have for the interior to "analyze" (for lack of better term). I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me and have been a good idea

I hope that all that is being said does wind up coming to reality. AT will be all you say and be one bad boy. But till then, I just sit and wait:-)

And price seems to be a sensative subject at AT. Seems like they want to get you down there and in a boat first. Maybe then they deal. I was told $235k (retail) for a 37 with 496 HO's even (to live with now and sc later). Hope this helps some of you wondering.

Note to those having them built: Make sure your trailer is setup right for the AVH hull before you start towing it long distances. Don't cut corners on that.

mark

Last edited by 32fever; 03-08-2002 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Registered

Too Old is right that the OL is a brokerage boat from a customer who may or may have ordered a new Active Thunder in the OL's place. As for the interiors, well you'll be able to see a completed one in a few short weeks.

A 37AVH with a custom paint job, the new Millenium Tech interior (leather, Corian, enclosed head, AC/Heat, flat screen tv, dvd, killer stereo with cd player, microwave, refrigerator, leather seating surfaces, cherry wood trim with brushed aluminum accents and other unique features), 500EFIs, XR drives, electric bolsters, full Gaffrig gauges, Marine Machine throttles/shifters, hydraulic steering, fuel filters, sea strainers, etc., etc. will cost about $225,000 give or take based on individual options and how crazy you get with paint.

A new Cigarette 38 with 500s sells for closer to $275,000 according to several dealers. Now, the Cigarette is a proven entity and has both the heritage and brand recognition that no other offshore manufacturer has in my opinion. The Cigarette is also incredibly well built and rigged.

Like I posted earlier, there are many great boat manufacturers out there and the two mentioned here are ones that anyone can be proud to own. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Miller; 03-09-2002 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Registered

Forgot to mention, AT orders South Florida Trailers. Each one is a custom fit triple axle designed for the particular models in the AT lineup from what I was told. But, the tip on making sure you get the right trailer is a very good one.

Last edited by Miller; 03-09-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default OK now its my turn!!

Well all of you have said enough about the boats. They are both great machines that take a different approach to the step bottom. Big single step for the AT and twin steps for the Cig. The debate can rage on for a long time as to which is the way to go...but I think the single step is the right idea. ! pivot piont point vs. 2. The factories can get more into why they do what they do.

My point here is who stands behind these machines. I have owned my AT since Sept 98. It has over 325 hrs on it and it still looks like new. They folks at AT have been unbelievable to work with. Pat is the most honest person I have met in the custom S. Florida boat building industry. If you would like to know of my own personal experiences please feel free to call me on my cell...
608-289-3834

I had looked at just about every boat out there between 95 and 98. It wasn't even so much the boat (which is amazing btw) it was the man who stood behind what he sold and integrity in which he handles his business and customers. I'm sure you wouldn't be making a wrong choice which ever way you go. This is just to let you know that with Pat from AT, you don't have a worry that he isn't being straight with you. I've known Pat since 95 when he helped me out while I was in a bad situation with another builder. he never asked for anything from me. He just helped me. I knew then that when I was able to buy my boat I would buy it from Pat. I still checked around and looked at just about every other builder out there, but it always came back to being able to trust Pat. In my mind the comparisons aren't so much about the boats, but about who stands behind thier product and who delivers on thier word. Personal experience here will always bring me back to AT. Just my opinion.

Todd K.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh btw...my boat is a 32' w/ 500 hps.

You may have seen it in some of the older AT ads. Its name is Best Revenge.

Todd K.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Todd, when you freshened your motors, how much more hp will you be pushing out, Sandy and I liked your graphics when we were their last week, looks great, pretty close to brand new for the amount of hour on the boat, at least I know one thing, seeing is believing
Old 03-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the windscreen/fairing (spelling?) on the AT MUCH MORE than the OL. Actually the OL doesn't have much of one at all. Then they (OL) use a cheap piece of plexiglass to keep the wind out of your face. I know those are just cosmetics...but to each his own I guess. Also, i like the fact that the back support of the back seat comes up with the engine hatch and nicely exposes the engines on the AT. When you have to maintenance the engines it makes it a WHOLE lot easier to work on and get to things AND without hurting your back!!! You won't find that on a Cigarette, Outer Limits or even an Apache! Staggard set-ups are much easier to work on in any boat and I know that some Cigarette hull designs have lots of engine room, but I'll take that AT set-up over the others any day. My .02 of course.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-09-2002 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Miller

A 37AVH with a custom paint job, the new Millenium Tech interior (leather, Corian, enclosed head, AC/Heat, flat screen tv, dvd, killer stereo with cd player, microwave, refrigerator, leather seating surfaces, cherry wood trim with brushed aluminum accents and other unique features), 500EFIs, XR drives, electric bolsters, full Gaffrig gauges, Marine Machine throttles/shifters, hydraulic steering, fuel filters, sea strainers, etc., etc. will cost about $225,000 give or take based on individual options and how crazy you get with paint.

A new Cigarette 38 with 500s sells for closer to $275,000 according to several dealers.
Please enlighten the slow folks like me. IS this a "retail" MSRP, or what you'd expect to pay, or what? And what do you base it on. Seems like my $$ was off, but I asked AT about 4 times (two different times, came away empty the first) for pricing (which I'd want to know before getting on a plane) and finally got it, and your number seems a lot lower, 500's, millenium int, etc. would be a large increase over what I got quoted on. Just wanted some clarification.

But anyhow, brings up another interesting thought. Price wise, what if...someone considered a new AVH and a slightly used Cig TS for about the same price? Woudl that sway anyone towards a Cig vs AT? I mean, for those not posting here. LOL! Cause it's leaning about 99% AT right now.

I like AT's, even would consider for a new boat, and I know people with them (32 and 37), just kinda playing devil's advocate, cause a lot of strong AT followers here and not many Cig supporters in this one.

Too Old...you already buying another boat?

Mark
Old 03-09-2002, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I personally have found AT's prices to be EXTREMELY fair
Old 03-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

If AT's are so fast, how come they're not winning in F-2?
This is not a knock, just a question.

Quick Reply: 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.