Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/196674-sarasota-poker-run-cat-killer-fountain-got-spanked.html)

Cash Bar 10-06-2008 02:55 PM

Nice job to everyone on a safe, and mildly entertaining:rolleyes:, Poker Run. :ernaehrung004:

Cash Bar 10-06-2008 02:56 PM

Gino, I think GatorOne, or a search here on OSO, will give you the date of the 2006 Jax run. That will give you a "Born On' date for CatKiller.

That would help with the shirts. :cool:

Cash Bar 10-06-2008 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2707368)
I think the only way you're going to get more of the "grass roots" crowd, is to stop bringing full blown raceboats to the runs.

The average guy that doesn't read OSO, or keep up with the race scene, doesn't know the Fountain Race boats at the poker run may not by the fastest boats there. They just know they're raceboats, and that causes more intimidation than open cockpits "pleasure boats" with pretty paint. They REALLY feel outgunned when they are tied up next to guys putting space suits on, vs a group wearing swimsuits and matching lifejackets, loading a cooler, and blairing the stereo.

I for one like seeing the raceboats at the runs, because I rarely go to the races. They are fun to run around with, and to see how my boat stacks up against a few of them.

I also think your dealership is the best thing Fountain has going for them overall! It's a tough industry and I hope you're getting some good business throughout it all.

Right as usual BLee. I think you can run pretty well with the "race boats". Of course, holding myself in place and screaming like a girl in the backseat might not be the best indicator.

Shanghied Again 10-06-2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVE (Post 2707186)
That's right. I was only doing 80-90 mph. I'm not a Cat Killer by any means. With 750 Supercats that burn a lot of fuel, I was more worried about finishing the run that being the fastest. And we always look like a race team with full equipment, as it is not fun hitting the roll cage with your head after a hard landing.
I think I had one of the smaller engine packages anyway after what I saw on the dock.
I enjoy bring my raceboat to the events. For me it is not a race but a big social event with comraderie like I had in racing.

I also represent PRA sponsor Rio Roses who likes me bringing the boat too.

So I'll keep bringing it and not threaten anyone by it. 80-90 mph for me is just fine. Remember, it's not a race, right?

A special thanks to Larry Goldman who was so gracious to us at the dock helping to get us situated in a nasty crosswind.

Rich Troppoli

Hi Rich. Your boat looks great in the photo and like I said in a Poker Run someone always comes in with something faster no matter what boat it is. I to like Fountains they are sleek, fast and have a look no other boat has. The problem is with the marketing that is being done. My friend just bought his Donzi and was proud of her, the rep from Fountain was down right Rude to him to prove a point that after the next day the Rep had to put his foot in his mouth. Thats what Reggie is doing with his Cat Killer! bringing it to Poker Runs to beat up Cats so he uses that as a marketing tool. "Not a Good Approach" to a market that you are trying to sell boats to. Fountain always did a great job on the Racing circuit and like I said is a good boat.

skater40 10-06-2008 03:56 PM

Gino-congrats.I will take a xxl shirt when you get them made.

thisistank 10-06-2008 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again (Post 2707411)
"Not a Good Approach" to a market that you are trying to sell boats to.

Could'nt agree more. It's funny to read "Reggie's got you guys talking about Fountain"...Yea, talking sh!t.
"Bad press is better than no press"...Uhhh, I highly doubt anyone on here will look at this thread and say, "wow, I should go buy a fountain now":rolleyes:

On the other hand, if he just let his race record, speed runs and poker run support do the work for him...He'd be reveared in this industry. Unfortunately the company let's him talk and the outcome is he's thought of as a joke by the majority of this hobby. Bad press in this industry is just that...Bad press.:rolleyes:

PARADOX 10-06-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2707368)
I think the only way you're going to get more of the "grass roots" crowd, is to stop bringing full blown raceboats to the runs.

The average guy that doesn't read OSO, or keep up with the race scene, doesn't know the Fountain Race boats at the poker run may not by the fastest boats there. They just know they're raceboats, and that causes more intimidation than open cockpits "pleasure boats" with pretty paint. They REALLY feel outgunned when they are tied up next to guys putting space suits on, vs a group wearing swimsuits and matching lifejackets, loading a cooler, and blairing the stereo.

I for one like seeing the raceboats at the runs, because I rarely go to the races. They are fun to run around with, and to see how my boat stacks up against a few of them.

I also think your dealership is the best thing Fountain has going for them overall! It's a tough industry and I hope you're getting some good business throughout it all.

I think "race boats' and celeb boats are good for the sport and Poker Runs... That being said.. the race boats should be doing like all the rest of the Poker Run boats. Coolers packed with ice.. 6 guys in the cockpit (joking a bit... but only a bit) mingeling with the rest of the participants... etc..
The Fountains showed up Saturday AM.. Practically didn't say boo to anyone.. Didn't feel like a PR participating bunch.

I love to see race boats or anythng that floats for that matter in a PR.. but .. c'mon guys.. keep it light hearthed.. run and have fun with the rest of us..
You want to hit it at times ? go for it... At the end of the day.. there are no checker flags.... just a bunch of boating loving people getting a nice party and getting smashed..
Quit having your nose scraping the clouds and just have fun.
Fun is what's all about..
Next Poker Run.. I'll be bringing a plywood with am egg beater strapped on.. and I WILL STLL HAVE FUN. !!!

maritaltension 10-06-2008 06:46 PM

I just don't know how to say it loud enough this is the bst thread i read since joining the site , i'm headin to key west for my first big poker run race and can't to meet some of the people i see chatting here , i personally can't stand fountain ecause of the image reggie has portrayed (arogant bast-rd_), as some guys have said t the end of the day it's just a bunch of boat people hangin having a good time , i look foward to hearing about the rematch , and congrats and good luck to gino and company ,, i hope i get to meet you guys in kw ,

maritaltension 10-06-2008 06:48 PM

thanks to reggie finnaly something good to talk about !!!:food-smiley-007:

OU Want Some?!! 10-06-2008 06:51 PM

congrats BIG DADDY!! :ernaehrung004: great running!!

... :ernaehrung004:

... :ernaehrung004:

XXL and Medium!:evilb: