Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat? >

What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually try to keep my mouth shut on threads like this but........

I would have to disagree with you guys a bit.

I have a race boat. It is a retired race boat but a raceboat nonetheless. I do not understand why I shouldnt bring it out to a run for that reason only. (mine isnt a big money fast one--85mph is fine for now).

My boat is actually safer than most pleasure boats in it's class.

I am not arguing that there should be not type of driver certification for poker runs. A system that would give boaters who want to participate in poker runs a sort of competency certificate is fine but this wont stop the occasional tragic accident from happening.

I just dont like the idea of regulating the type of boats in poker runs. It is too Canadian to say that 'Because your boat is a 'race boat' it is therefore giving off the wrong image and makes the event inherently less safe and therefore we must ban them'. Should we also ban passengers? Ban girls in bikinis (please no!), Why not just ban the entire sport because of a few bad incidents? ALso one of the previous posts hinted at the idea of self regulation before goverment regulation come into effect. I do not agree with that either because to self regulate certain things in such an illogical manner would only bolster any attempt by a government agency to impose more regulation. I think the more important thing here is to keep the right individuals in the sport and set things up so that they are safe.

I would leave it up to the poker run organizers as to who they want in the run. I think that all of the people who say the raceboats scare people away (i.e. Cat Killer/Cash Killer) would find out that having the raceboats in these events actually make them more appealing and interesting.

Offshore boating is one of the last places of freedom I can think of. Especially in my country. I would hate to see more regulation and the start of illogical 'banning' of boats in certain events in order to have the average person deem it to be safer.

I say keep the raceboats and try and figure out a safe way for everyone to run whether it is two big cats balls to the wall to the first stop or the guy in the 78mph bigassed V hull loaded with bikini girls. It is all a part of the experience and to take any part of it away would lessen the experience as a whole in my humble (and Canadian) opinion.

Last edited by ar15meister; 10-07-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat? "

The people in the boat and the course they are on...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcschoe
Once again I find myself trying to hold my thoughts until I have had the opportunity to discuss this with the principals involved. But, I am compelled to get it out here ............. When the perception overcomes the reality our on water freedom may very well go away.
i think this makes alot of sense.....
i also don't think he is saying to ban race boats, but the actual racing, you sound like you (ar15meister) use your race boat as a pleasure boat, not to go to a poker run to prove anything. if i am reading all this correctly.... and of course there will always be impromptu "races" at these events but to go there looking for that would give a bad impression.... IMO
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 007joe
i think this makes alot of sense.....
i also don't think he is saying to ban race boats, but the actual racing, you sound like you (ar15meister) use your race boat as a pleasure boat, not to go to a poker run to prove anything. if i am reading all this correctly.... and of course there will always be impromptu "races" at these events but to go there looking for that would give a bad impression.... IMO

Actually what he said was, and I quote directly

"Regardless of speed and horsepower actually in the boats, the presence of race boats participating in RECEREATIONAL boating events is inappropriate"

I simply disagree. Many people in Canada think that the prescence of a single barrel 20 gauge shotgun in the home is not only inappropriate but also offensive.

I simply disagree the logic. Not trying to stir the pot too much I also think I got a little off topic.

Difference between race and pleasure?? Well if it has been raced, it is a raceboat, if not then it is a pleasure boat.

Really there is not difference. I use my raceboat for pleasure all the time (in fact I NEVER race it!!) I even run around with it loaded full of blondes in bikinis and they dont even wear helmets!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
Your insurance coverage.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ar15... I happen to agree with you.
I don't see anytihng wrong having a race boat.. (active or retired). to a PR.. as long as no one actually racing..
endangering the rest of the participants. Like I said.. it’s not the boat you bring,, or what it is,, but how it’s being used, run and operated.
There aren’t any issues with running hard either. But all this BS is who’s first at the dock.. lunch.. first stop etc.. provides a negative image to the sport.
There is plenty of open water for racing before or after the runs. You want to play.. go play after or before the closely bunched up “RUN”.
I blame the organizing entities due their $ driven profit oriented clubs.. I have no problem with the profit part.. it’s a business.. fine.. but the safety and running method.. bringing in more down to earth members, (slower boats.. run abouts.. more of them… more $ to the clubs) promoting the “as a boating” event and not a speed show.. needs to be better established and the image corrected.
At the Hyatt, Sarasota.. by the pool bar.. one hotel guest asked the bar tender,,, “what’s going on with the boats? boat show ?? the bartender replied.. it’s a race .. stating at 10:00 AM. . I quickly corrected that’s it’s a boating event, Poker Run. Not a race.
Organizers got to upkeep the friendly boating event image and less emphasis on speed and power, and the $.
That’s why I think many weekend boaters shying away from these runs. Not because there is a few race boats attending. I have boating friends that will not go to a run due to the boat they have and speed they can run. They are just not up to it.. intimidated.. while they know that there are good times to be had by all. Two groups starts may be one way.. Some of the runs do that… I have no answers just my silly .02’s
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered

Dean...you are correct....it should not matter what type of boat comes to a P.R. But who is in the boat and how it is run is a big differance....This subject keeps coming up at the Coast Guard Safety Summits....If running open cockpit boats at 110-150 mph is safe in your mined...more power to ya....
But you are going to find out a lot of people are going to dissagree with you..especailly when there is a accident at those speeds during a recreational event....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-07-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't bring any kind of boat to a poker run. Run what you brung. But keep it safe. I am not intimidated by any kind of boat. It is the attitude of how you approach the PR that matters. If you are there to prove you have the fastest boat you may want to attend PR's that support that type of speed. NYC, Loto, Lake Havasu. There is always healthy competition at every PR. Just keep it safe and organized whether you are running a 130 mph cat or V race or pleasure boat.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love seeing the raceboat at the runs. Even some of these boats that are "PR" boats are much faster than the raceboats that are out there.. Take the Mercedes boat, Pure Platinum and most of Edock. All well equipped to surpass the speeds of raceboats.. Its fun being able to see these boats do what they were built for. The races are fun and all but its about the worst "spectator-friendly" environment you could hope for. Poker Runs allow us to get up close and friendly with some of the most amazing privately owned race/pr boats in the world and see up-close the race boats that are usually only seen in the ads and online..

Thats whats so much fun about LOTO's shootout. Up Close and personal with some pretty amazing equipment..

If I wanted to run for lunch against other recrational performance boats that run 70, Id stay home..

My vote is the more race boats we can see on the PR runs, the better.. As far as them trying to use the run to settle an arguement or using it as a grounds for advertising showing them winning against the other registerd boats, pass..

I dont have the answers or the experience to really be involved in this thread.. Ive got some really awesome rides in some amazing equipment over this last season (which im incredibly thankful for those opportunities), this is my amateur ideas of how Id like to see it all work out..
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH
Your insurance coverage.

Quick Reply: What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.