What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Your insurance coverage.
Good point GLH!

As I understand it, a race boat does not qualify for an insurance policy? If I was an organizer of one of these events I would mandate all boats entered must have a pleasure boating policy, insured up to the speeds they are capable of, in addition to having group insurance as the organizer...

I believe a lot of these measures are in place already but I'm not sure about all of them?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have an idea, actually a thesis for a paper I am doing, not saying it would work, but just looking at the concept.. as far as poker runs go.. we know they are not a race *cough* and there are a lot of "pleasure" boats that are faster than most race boats yet lack the safety characteristics of a race boat. now this is NOT directred at ANY incident in particular or person... what about if anyone entering a poker run in a boat capable of 100+ speed was required to take Tres's class or similiar and become 'certified' to 'evaluated' in the skills to run over 100. also being required to wear helmets and jackets. since these classes can positively effect private ins. costs would it not pos. effect the poker runs ins costs? would it not be a positive effect on the safety of events? thinking that basically anyone with a pocketfull of money can go by a 150 mph "pleasure" boat these days, reguardless of skill.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
"What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat? "

The people in the boat and the course they are on...
damn straight.
just because it's a raceboat doesn't mean it has to be run wtfo like one.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Ice Chests
i am always late.....dagnabit
Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Good point GLH!

As I understand it, a race boat does not qualify for an insurance policy? If I was an organizer of one of these events I would mandate all boats entered must have a pleasure boating policy, insured up to the speeds they are capable of, in addition to having group insurance as the organizer...

I believe a lot of these measures are in place already but I'm not sure about all of them?
Most of the PR's that I have gone to require a current proof of insurance and minimum coverage. I was told by several people in the know that turbine boats cannot or will not be insured. That the owner's self insure them or run them uninsured. I am not sure about this, if anyone knows for sure.I have never seen anyone at a poker run look at my insurance papers when I hand them in to verify coverage or dates of coverage.. Now maybe when we send them and pre register someone looks at them. I would also think that mandatory safety equipment would be required for any of the higher speed (110 plus) PR/race boats, Lifeline type jackets, helmets, O2 for canopy boats, safety hatches, etc.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

But when a race boat does show up, everyone whats to out run the "race boat" to brag.... I out ran a race boat.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a couple posts on this thread that I felt the need to read them/hear them with a Canadian accent. That's wut it's all aboot.

I know this is a serious thread, but I've had a rough day and needed to give myself a chuckle.
Don't anyone get offended, I love you Canadian guys.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think a "race boat" is a boat that has no practical use as a pleasure boat. I mean, something to idle up to restaurant with, raft up with, anchor in a cove, or anchor at a beach. You're not exactly going to do that with a NASCAR vehicle, or an F-1 car.
Can you race a Vette - sure.
But are you more likely to cruise town, and stop at a restaurant or bar. Pleasure.
Just my Opinion.
I don't have a problem with race boats showing up at poker runs, in fact, I think it's kind of cool. They just don't need to race them there.
They are the Pro's, and should know when to restrain. They should be there to promote the sport, not to show off their skills.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
After reading the Sarasota PR thread and how Fountian got spanked by the Cats, I have a question. What is the difference between a race boat and a high dollar poker run boat. Most of those poker run boats, V's and Cats, are designed with huge engines (not standard Mercury engines) and large budgets. Many are sponsored(Mercedes Boat). Many have crews working with them. Most have drivers and crews that transport the boats to the runs and the driver/owner gets in and run it. So when you all call the boat a race boat, how do you differentiate between that and a sponsored crewed poker run boat. I know someone is going to say that the race boat competes in races, has a canopy, and O2. Most of these high dollar PR boats are as fast as any of the current race boats. Most of the PR boats have a more plush and comfortable cabin and interior, but many are stripped down of excess weight. I totally enjoy seeing both types, race and pleasure, at the large PR and know that I can't compete with either on budget or speed. In my opinion, if you are going to invite them to your PR then there should be staggered starts to keep the slower boats out of their way and let them do their thing. I know a PR is not a race, but somehow that the nature or competition, between drivers who put a lot of time and money into their boats just to see who is fastest.

Poker Run boats are boats entered in a Poker Run, period. In their "other" life they may be a race boat, pleasure boat, rental boat, fast boat, slow boat, etc. A race boat is built to a special set of rules and regulations to be able to race in a specific organization, in a specific class.

There is nothing wrong with bringing a race boat to a Poker Run, or bringing a boat of any kind to a Poker Run. Just be safe, don't endanger others, and follow the rules of that specific run.

Gino I'm sure found nothing wrong with the Fountain race team showing up. The only problem is they came unannounced to film a promotional video at the expense of all high-end cats entered. If they want to say they are the best, send out a flier inviting all to attend and compete.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Correct me? ...

windshield - open boat - cannot be a race boat as is
windshield would have to be taped

windshield - canopy boat - can be a race boat
Attached Thumbnails What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?-copy-cambridge-06-003.jpg  

Quick Reply: What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.