Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fair price on a 32' Active Thunder Hull & Deck?????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19687-fair-price-32-active-thunder-hull-deck.html)

KAAMA 03-08-2002 09:10 AM

Fair price on a 32' Active Thunder Hull & Deck??????

Okay guys,

What do you think is a fair price with fuel tanks, interior in cockpit/cabin, cabin lites, cockpit lights, navigational lites, transom X dem cut for Bravos, no water, no frig, no radio, no trailer.
I will supply and rig: engines, mounts, exhaust, coolers, drives, steering, all hydraulic pumps, etc. and dash with all the wiring.

Basically, I will supply everything and rig it from the steering wheel/dash back to the transom. I will also supply my own trailer to haul it around with.

How much do you think is fair for a new hull & deck? I understand the labor involved and how it's put together, but remember it's still only fiberglass and resin.

What do you guys think???---I'm VERY curious!

Shorty 03-08-2002 10:17 AM

If I owned a small custom boat company trying to build/maintain a reputation for quality, I doubt I would sell them like that. Not that I am saying you wouldn't do a good job rigging it, but if a bunch of substandard home rigged models got on the used market it could damage the reputation of the manufacturer and the hurt the resale value for the other customers. As a manufacturer though, I would sell them completely rigged letting you supply your own power instead of using mercruiser though.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the project, though.

dyno 03-08-2002 01:09 PM

Mark I think you should be able to get a hull and deck for 50k but thats my opinion and you know what thats worth.....

Pure Energy 03-08-2002 01:18 PM

The end product is just fiberglass and resin but that is not why you are buying it. Active Thunder boats have been built based on physics, hydrodynamics, engineering, R&D, testing etc, education and experience. The end result is what determines the value. To answer your question.......I don't know.

Tantrum 03-08-2002 01:45 PM

You have to try and work it backwards.
Whats a new complete boat cost?
What is the cost of the parts list you are in for?
How many hours (labor value) are you estimating?
Add up your anticipated investment subtract it from a new boat and what you have left is the most you want to pay for the hull.

I would only want to rig a boat myself if I thought I could do a better job than the mfg. AT biulds boats, real nice well biult boats.
Why do you want to try and rig it yourself?

KAAMA 03-08-2002 01:57 PM

okay, so then with all the research, testing, engineering, R&D---blah-ba-blah-ba-blah----and I know it's important. Maybe it's worth $1,000,000 ....maybe $2,000,000....sounds rediculas doesn't it? I think you can see where this is leading here. It's not a stepped hull...just a conventional V-bottom---been around for years.

Dyno, off the mark or not, you provided more of an answer that I was looking for, however I respect the input from the others as well.

Many have looked at this thread since posting and only a few have responded. It's probably more of a difficult question to answer than what I anticipated. Perhaps I should have worded my question more like; "what is a fair price for a hull/deck on a conventional V-bottom 32' boat?" Still may not have done any good. Maybe the better idea is to ask some competitiors for some pricing on comparably lengthed boats...just to get an idea. But then Mach1Shorty maybe correct in saying that a boat manufacturer may not even be willing build a boat the way I am asking. Oh well...thanks for your input guys. Mark :)

dyno 03-09-2002 01:10 PM

Well Mark I'll give you a little more of my infinate wisdom......well or moron support. If I had to build the boat like your thinking I would lean twards a hull built locally, for one thing you can get the support your going to need in the assembly process any advice or technical help will be great the further away you are from the manufacturer the less help your going to get...my opinion... If the manufacturer is marking the price of the hull to discourage you then thats what you are going to deal with. They make money on complete boats not selling a hull and deck, the only thing you have in your favore is the current economy they may need the work. If it were me I'd look real hard at Saber if you can get them to build you a 34 hull and deck for a reasonable price it could be good for you and them...I havent seen a 34 ever....they cant sell them if there arent any around. I would pitch them the idea that if they make you a good deal and hep you rigg it that you will let them use it for a demo or show boat... its worth a shot...my .02
Don

Bruce 03-09-2002 01:48 PM

Warlock Powerboats 32 Euro V-hull.

Kaama, email me or call if you would consider a Warlock Powerboats 32 V-hull. It has a twin serpentine step bottom and runs 89 mph with a pair of HP500. I can't provide the hull bare but I can offer it complete less power, drives and exhaust. The boat would be ready for you to install your power, I can coordinate graphic's and interior packages, offer composite lay-up schedules, and we will also cutomize the X-dimension if you want to retain your extension boxes. Powerboat magazine has a nice article on the boat in the April 1999 edition. :D

Crazyhorse 03-09-2002 02:18 PM

If it were me I'd buy just the hull and use the existing deck. I know Powerquest has done this in past years as my stepson has a PQ that had only the hull replaced. If the deck is 'glassed to the hull I'd spend the time to grind away the glass and separate it from the hull. To me a hull would be worth 20k-30k. Maybe more depending on what came with it.

Miller 03-09-2002 05:04 PM

First, why are you looking to get a 32 AT without rigging? Don't you already own a 32 AT?

I guess if I owned a boat company, I would not sell a boat that way unless it was going directly to a race shop that I knew of and where I was comfortable with the level of rigging quality. I would not provide a boat to a customer and then let them rig it for fear that the rigging might not be on par with my expectations and as such, prospecitve customers may see the finished product and think that it was reflective of the factory work when it wasn't. I guess if KR Racing, Marine Performance, Doller Offshore, Tres Martin Offshore, TNT Custom Marine, Boostpower, Archer Marine or someone like that was taking delivery and would be responsible for the rigging and install I'd do. Otherwise, the small profit made would not be enough to risk turning off prospective customers and damaging the brand's reputation.