Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Recommendation for lab finishing prop (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19691-recommendation-lab-finishing-prop.html)

thunderdan 03-08-2002 08:47 PM

goodfella,

what kind of cost at Frank and jimmies to lab 2 bravo 1's?:)

Goodfella 03-08-2002 08:54 PM

What's Up Thunderdan!
Nice to see Ya!
Mike gets $300.00 per prop for lab finishing and thinning of the blades. He will scan the prop before and after to show you what you are paying for other than MPH:)

thunderdan 03-08-2002 08:58 PM

Thanks Goodfella:D

boathead 03-09-2002 07:07 AM

York Propeller

1 Attachment(s)
seanclong,
I agree with KAAMA, York does first rate work if appearances mean anything, my Bravo I's look better than new. John was a great guy to deal with, very accomodating and helpful. I paid $400 for both my 28" s including shipping from MI. Had 'em repitched to 29" , sure beats the $350 a piece that Merc charges.
If you have a couple old milk crates, they are just the right size for shipping the Bravos - keeps 'em protected , John was impressed with my packaging! Hopefully when I get my ECU's back from Tyler Crockett, I can splash the boat in a couple weeks and try the new wheels- I Can't Wait!!!!
Good Luck,
Paul

KAAMA 03-09-2002 08:19 AM

Boathead (Paul),

Those props look great don't they? It would be nice if you could have gotten some CLOSE UP shots of the leading edges of the blades in your photos. That's the difference that I noticed when I held my York's up to some Merc labbed props for a side by side comparison. For the rest you guys looking to have your props lab finished, it's the finish and the consistancy of the blades. Merc's were very inconsistant...also, York obviously polishes up the entire prop as well----Merc doesn't! York says/believes that the polishing of the prop does NOT hurt performance. Audacity (Joe), had an extensive phone discussion with John York about why York polishes the props and Merc's theory of why they don't. Audacity races boats and has his own pleasure boat. He was a hardcore believer of how Merc lab (and another company) finished their props and he used them...of course until he tried a pair of York's. As far as I know (unless he has found a better lab finishing shop) he still believes in and uses York! Tommy at WPM 909-371-7567 can tell you how they have tried SEVERAL prop shops with their lab finishing compared to York's workmanship and performance. In their comparisons, York always came out on top. In all fairness, perhaps there are other prop shops out there that do just as good of a job as York that are trying to build their reputations. And Merc sounds like they do a pretty good job. If there is a better lab prop shop out there than York then WPM is not aware of it at this time...especially for $150 per wheel.

liquid asset 03-09-2002 09:45 AM

I should get mine back from bronson hill this week, $200, I'll post the results, Byron was first rate, really a helpfull guy, www.propellersonline.com

boathead 03-10-2002 05:14 PM

Anyone ever try Black Dog Propellers?? I hear they have once of those fancy Prop Scan computers.
Troutly,
It's not the computer, it's the guy with the welder and the right angle grinder!! LOL And besides, what happens if they are running windows, does it crash your prop, too?????
Another smartass reply,
Paul

boathead 03-10-2002 05:23 PM

mark,
don't forget that joe likes fords too, it only figures he'd like Mercs labfinishing!! LOL Hope Joe sees this , I need a lively discussion to keep thing interesting...... By the way, I hear he's going to race on the Hogs Breath Team this Year... Congrats, Joe!!!! I hope to see you kick some As* this year.
Paul

Gordo 03-11-2002 09:18 PM

DAH Pro Porps

Send em to DAH in Wisconson. Best money I ever spent on prop work.

SCARABJ 03-11-2002 10:04 PM

Anyone with a phone number to york??