Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Recommendation for lab finishing prop (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19691-recommendation-lab-finishing-prop.html)

seanclong 03-08-2002 09:50 AM

Recommendation for lab finishing prop

I have a small burr on one of my prop blades and I figure I might as well have the prop labbed rather than just repaired. The prop, for what it is worth, is a Mirage Plus 23 pitch. Anyone have a place they recommend? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.:D

KAAMA 03-08-2002 09:55 AM

York propeller in California. A couple years ago the did a test Lake -X with a bunch of lab finished props and York's even beat out Merc's by 1 mph. Plus they only charge $150 compared to Merc's $350. Call "Tommy" at WPM and he will give you the scoop and get you set up. 909-371-7567

seanclong 03-08-2002 09:59 AM

Thanks KAAMA. That's just the info I need. The local prop shop wants $117 just to take out the burr. They don't even do lab finishing...:eek:

Clay Avedisian 03-08-2002 10:48 AM

I'm using DAH PRO-Pellers in WI, 262-534-4440 and ask for John. Tell them what the boat is doing, speed-trim-etc, they can get you some great results. Clay F2-40 Lady Hustler

Advantage_Rob 03-08-2002 11:06 AM

hey sean, I have the same question also, so I'm going to jump on the bandwagon with you. My advantage runs really flat, and I've tried alot of different props and settled on the the bravo 1 4 blade props work best for bow lift, with a 30 pitch my rpm's are at 4900, a bit low, and a little lower with a big load and lots os fuel. I have 28's and I am all over the rev limiters (5150) w/them, but great for big loads, but I still get occasional rev limiter hit's so I got the 30's to see what happened. Now I hear thru this board, lab finishing will get my rpm up by 200 which is where I want to be, but I'm also looking to get a bit more cup in the prop for additional bow lift, York, Bronson hill, and merc are my 3 options so far. Who would be best to meet my needs, price vs. quality? I had my cat props re-labbed by merc and they did a great job, but thier operation seems almost too big to meet my personalized needs and cup the prop, but I dont know anything about merc other than they charged alot for the 2 props to be done last time. I feel a smaller shop like one of the other two would meet my needs, and offer a better price also. What haave you guys experienced with these places??

seanclong 03-08-2002 11:18 AM

Rob -- I just spoke to John at York five minute ago. He was more than accomodating. He basically asks about your props, power and boat, then discusses where you want to go from there. He is very easy to talk to and very knowledgeable.

In my case, since I have a burr on one of my blades, I am going to send him my prop, and then he's going to call me to talk about my options once he sees the prop. He was very honest and straightforward about what I could expect. He doesn't seem like the type of person to promise the world in order to get business. All told, with shipping, my prop is going to be $177.00.

He said his turn-around right now is about 10 days due to the nice weather. Damn Californians...:D

Advantage_Rob 03-08-2002 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info sean, I have heard nothing, but good things about them, and this is probably the kick in the ass I needed to get mine sent out.

baja27 03-08-2002 12:13 PM

I just got back my prop from York. They did a great job.:)

Reindl Powerboats 03-08-2002 07:36 PM

www.propellersonline.com

Goodfella 03-08-2002 08:30 PM

We use the master in the southeast Mike Eggleston at Frank&Jimmies. We have seen 3 mph over Mercury's lab finished jobs.:cool: