Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat? >

What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Notices

What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

After reading the Sarasota PR thread and how Fountian got spanked by the Cats, I have a question. What is the difference between a race boat and a high dollar poker run boat. Most of those poker run boats, V's and Cats, are designed with huge engines (not standard Mercury engines) and large budgets. Many are sponsored(Mercedes Boat). Many have crews working with them. Most have drivers and crews that transport the boats to the runs and the driver/owner gets in and run it. So when you all call the boat a race boat, how do you differentiate between that and a sponsored crewed poker run boat. I know someone is going to say that the race boat competes in races, has a canopy, and O2. Most of these high dollar PR boats are as fast as any of the current race boats. Most of the PR boats have a more plush and comfortable cabin and interior, but many are stripped down of excess weight. I totally enjoy seeing both types, race and pleasure, at the large PR and know that I can't compete with either on budget or speed. In my opinion, if you are going to invite them to your PR then there should be staggered starts to keep the slower boats out of their way and let them do their thing. I know a PR is not a race, but somehow that the nature or competition, between drivers who put a lot of time and money into their boats just to see who is fastest.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ice Chests
Old 10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

i have checked out some of the high dollar poker run boats that even have escape hatch on bottom [cat] if the boat flips, does that make it a race boat!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Ice Chests
Now that is some funny $ hit
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have raced in a 14' 1956 lonestar aluminum boat with a 35 hp motor, Now I wouldn't consider it a real race boat but hell you can race turtels / bullfrogs too. I don't know why I'm typing this, lucky for you I have to race to the ****ter or I could be here all night racing stuff.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some poker runs do start in stages Jacksonville & Desert Storm, not sure of others but most of the fast poker runs are only W.O.T. to the first stop from then on its just an easy day. Until someone pulls on side of you then it's on again but usually not for long. I don't see a difference between the race boats and the poker run boats, other than the race boats may be a bit safer. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again I find myself trying to hold my thoughts until I have had the opportunity to discuss this with the principals involved. But, I am compelled to get it out here first because of the way the other thread is going.

Over the past few years a core group of individuals and organizations have worked very hard to message safety and remove the perception to which organized RECREATIONAL boating events are races.

Partnering with all stakeholders we have enjoyed progress within the industry and we are beginning to see the results flow over to the view of the casual observers who do not understand or know the difference between a race and a RECREATIONAL boating event.

Regardless of speed and horsepower actually in the boats, the presence of race boats participating in RECEREATIONAL boating events is inappropriate. This type of hype to where speed and who is first in a RECREATIONAL boating event is exactly what we have worked so hard to remove.

Fully understanding performance, horsepower, and speed are all elements of what we do almost every weekend, the way in which this is messaged can be very helpful or very harmful to our ability to preserve virtually unrestricted performance boating freedoms on the water.

I would ask everyone involved to remember while it is the boats which bring us together the people of this small community are most important.
Please be safe and understand no amount of safety equipment will remove the tarnish on our reputation as a group when an unfortunate incident occurs.

The difference is not as much in the boat as it is in responsibility, professionalism, and adhering to principal. We attend races to win. We attend recreational performance boating events otherwise known as Poker Runs to participate. Full of fuel, varied experience, and exposure to speed and the ability to slow down without fear to lose.

Races are closed courses with loved ones on the beach and these other events are on unrestricted waterways with friends and loved ones on the boats.

When the perception overcomes the reality our on water freedom may very well go away.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
GDM
Registered

after reading the sarasota Poker Run thread , i think the answer is that the pleasure boats are much faster than the race boats

and the pleasure boats also carry more fuel and passengers

Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple..
The difference is how you use it.
The important thing is use it safely.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcschoe
Once again I find myself trying to hold my thoughts until I have had the opportunity to discuss this with the principals involved. But, I am compelled to get it out here first because of the way the other thread is going.

Over the past few years a core group of individuals and organizations have worked very hard to message safety and remove the perception to which organized RECREATIONAL boating events are races.

Partnering with all stakeholders we have enjoyed progress within the industry and we are beginning to see the results flow over to the view of the casual observers who do not understand or know the difference between a race and a RECREATIONAL boating event.

Regardless of speed and horsepower actually in the boats, the presence of race boats participating in RECEREATIONAL boating events is inappropriate. This type of hype to where speed and who is first in a RECREATIONAL boating event is exactly what we have worked so hard to remove.

Fully understanding performance, horsepower, and speed are all elements of what we do almost every weekend, the way in which this is messaged can be very helpful or very harmful to our ability to preserve virtually unrestricted performance boating freedoms on the water.

I would ask everyone involved to remember while it is the boats which bring us together the people of this small community are most important.
Please be safe and understand no amount of safety equipment will remove the tarnish on our reputation as a group when an unfortunate incident occurs.

The difference is not as much in the boat as it is in responsibility, professionalism, and adhering to principal. We attend races to win. We attend recreational performance boating events otherwise known as Poker Runs to participate. Full of fuel, varied experience, and exposure to speed and the ability to slow down without fear to lose.

Races are closed courses with loved ones on the beach and these other events are on unrestricted waterways with friends and loved ones on the boats.

When the perception overcomes the reality our on water freedom may very well go away.
Very well said Brad. Thank for the input. That was the point of my thread. There is no difference in the boats. The difference is in the event. Other than the coolers. Keep them separate. Races are for the professional and PR are for amateurs. I am pretty confident in my skills, I have even taken Tres's HP course, but what about the unskilled and the spectator? You can't control them, like you can in a closed course race. I run hard in the PR's, but stay within the limits of my skills and boat. Everyone needs to keep this in mind as boats keep getting faster and faster. I am old enough to remember when 60mph was the fastest boat on the lake and now we are routinely looking at 100 plus. Boats are the only vehicles that someone can walk into a dealer and purchase with no experience and go out that same day and run it at 100 plus. I don't want to ruin the freedom of the sport as noise and speed limits are imposed on us more and more.

Quick Reply: What defines a Raceboat vs a PR boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.