Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats) >

WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)

Notices

WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)

Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)

And not *****ing about IB or the debate or any other political mess

After seein vids and pics of Delo's new ride on Grand, it got me thinkin about who else owns a canopy boat that isn't a full-on racer. I think itd be cool to run around in one, even if it wasn't the fastest on the water or the most convenient, it'd still have a lot of 'wow' factor.

They seem to have gobs of storage, A/C, comfortable seating and you wouldt have to worry about the weather as much as an open boat.

Those of you that have them, do you keep the hatch on all the time or do you take it off and enjoy the sun?

Speak up if you've got one or had one and what you liked/didnt like about it. Seems like itd be a total hassel to tie up or trailer because of the limited sight on them..

but still, "WOW" factor..

Last edited by waterboy222; 10-08-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a full canopy, and not built to Lavin specifications, but nice to be out of the rain or cold. Hot in the summer, so we added a 5000 btu air conditioner that runs off of two group 31 batteries and an inverter. With the engine off, it will run for about 1-1/2 hours. Since the top is only partial, you can stand up in the back to handle docklines, etc. Visibiity is very good, but this is a small and unconventional boat. I definitely like the styling of mine versus the open Batboats. It's hard to come up with a windshield style that looks good on them.

Photos by Tom Newby - The best. RIP.
Attached Thumbnails WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)-b58s6688.jpg   WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)-b58s6672.jpg   WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)-b58s6687.jpg  

Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 AM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive driven several canopy pleasure boats they have their pros and cons...its great to go out and when your done you don't feel wore out.. AC is always nice when its 95+ out...but i think they give a false sense of security..and to me its not boating the way it should be you know getting sun and wind burnt!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered

I ran in XXX, pyburns 47, Factory Billet.,and now Digger. Its nice not to have the sun beating on you all day long the ac is great your nice and cool when you get to lunch or where ever your going and its quite enoough that you really dont need headsets to hear. I think we took the hatches off XXX the 47 once. to much wind noise. As far as docking neither boat has a rubrail so its all hands when comming in to dock.You get use to the limited vision after a while like anything else
Attached Thumbnails WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)-untitled13.bmp   WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)-06platinum-070.jpg  
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, i can understand the use of the boat in an open-water environment but our lake is only 1/2 mile wide at some of the widest spots.. I was hoping for some input from someone that does more than just race or poker run with it.. Not tubing or waterkskiing or anything, but actual rafting up and runnin around a smaller lake.. and i looooove factory billet!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

Waterboy, I know this thread was to get positive input but instead I thought to get a birds-eye view of true canopy boating, maybe we can talk Delo into installing a "REAR VIEW Camera" so we can get true insight from Cat-killer/casher/beater/eater!!!!!! Maybe for fun, we can see if Delo has any photoshop/editing ability to see what it is like from a side view(we may have to just do one from an idle because I think Delo is better with joints/bones/tendons etc than a computer, no offense intended OU)!!!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhss6P94zY

from inside golddigger 120 to 160mph
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SCARABJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhss6P94zY

from inside golddigger 120 to 160mph
Cool Vid !
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Pros: No wind, safe, looks great.

Cons: Very loud, hard to see docking, hot, wife hates it.

I just cut the top off for a full pleasure conversion.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I think itd be cool to run around in one, even if it wasn't the fastest on the water
Maybe you dont have to be the fastest but if your gonna put a lid on it it better be dam fast or people are going to be talking about you.

Quick Reply: WoW, a thread about BOATS! (canopy boats)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.