Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
496 Raylar Upgrade questions Opinions Ray or those in the know? >

496 Raylar Upgrade questions Opinions Ray or those in the know?

Notices

496 Raylar Upgrade questions Opinions Ray or those in the know?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Raylar Upgrade questions Opinions Ray or those in the know?

Posted this in the technical section this morning but didn't get a response. Thought I would give it a run here!

I am about to have my Raylar kit installed on my Sunsation 288. I have a set of CMI Big tube headders and an ECM with the whipple flash. The engine is a 2005 and has 114 hours on it.

Had my mechanic check with mercury and my 496 does have a forged crank. I want a grenade proof engine so I am considering upgrading the bottem end(also because the whipple flash raises the rev limiter to 5500RPMs?). I've heard complaints about the 496 pistons. So I thought I might put a better set of pistons in and balance the rotating assembly.

If I up the compression a little bit would it yield much performance improvement with the 525 Raylar components? I want to be able to run 93 octane gas. Piston recomendations and are the rods good to go(forgot to ask about them would they be forged as well?)? I was told with the whipple flash and the headders I should see around 575HP.

OR! Should I just leave the bottem end alone and go with what I have? The engine is coming out for the install so it does help on the labor costs of doing the bottem end.

I will be calling soon Ray as I need at the least a set of gaskets. Thought it might be an interesting and imformational thread!

Thanks for opinions in advance!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

How much torque is increased with this package? I've seen the hp numbers.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

Here is Raylar's webpage with some Dyno results: http://www.raylarengine.com/dyno.html

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
How much torque is increased with this package? I've seen the hp numbers.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with 114 hours ,,,,you should be able to just install the raylar kit,,,,no need for the ecm to get reflashed,,,and still make 525 hp
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

I already have a reflashed ecm! That is another question I think I read if you have the Mag HO(which I have) you don't need the reflash??? What is the difference other than the RPM increase with the whipple flash? I also have the intake with bigger injectors already installed. never hurts to have more than 525HP!

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
with 114 hours ,,,,you should be able to just install the raylar kit,,,,no need for the ecm to get reflashed,,,and still make 525 hp
Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Registered

ttt
Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
I already have a reflashed ecm! That is another question I think I read if you have the Mag HO(which I have) you don't need the reflash??? What is the difference other than the RPM increase with the whipple flash? I also have the intake with bigger injectors already installed. never hurts to have more than 525HP!
If you're going for the 525hp then you only need the 103 cam, the heads, intake. Stock HO computer is fine and recomended. If your 496 is a base model (no HO) then that would be the only reason for flashing computer to get to 525hp. As far as the actual difference between the stock ho program and the Raylar re-flash? There are lots of changes and mods to those files. Not sure how much of that data would be available but you could ask Ray.

If you want the 600hp, then the engine needs to be completely built for it.

Finally, if you are leaving a stock bottom end then I personally would not recomend going over 525hp at all.

Good luck,
jason
Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered

Pachanga,

Also I just noticed that your ecm is a whipple re-program. Is it a Raylar program done by Whipple or is it just another program that Whipple themselves sold you?

There are differences as the Raylar program is speciffically theirs where Whipple probably has several different types of offerings but I don't know much about that.

Of course, that may only be the case for the Raylar 600. I'm not totally sure if that's the case across the board.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Registered

It is a reflash by whipple for Raylar. The setup I bought is the 103 with headders and the ECM. It has 30 hours on it. The guy was dynoing 565HP. That is the reason for my questions about pistons and balancing!

Originally Posted by SDFever
Pachanga,

Also I just noticed that your ecm is a whipple re-program. Is it a Raylar program done by Whipple or is it just another program that Whipple themselves sold you?

There are differences as the Raylar program is speciffically theirs where Whipple probably has several different types of offerings but I don't know much about that.

Of course, that may only be the case for the Raylar 600. I'm not totally sure if that's the case across the board.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pachanga-

Ask SDFEVER how fast his boat went yesterday

Quick Reply: 496 Raylar Upgrade questions Opinions Ray or those in the know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.