Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Prayer needed for racers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/197115-prayer-needed-racers.html)

Karaokemike 10-13-2008 09:40 PM

I spoke with Jim Black this morning and he is greatly concerned and hopefully will be in contact soon.....

Thank you for the prayer and AMEN.......

Dean Ferry 10-13-2008 09:47 PM

Prayers to all of those involved.
Dean

LubeJobs42 10-13-2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2714728)
I just spent 20 minutes writing a letter to the editor:
Wonder if it does ANY good!!!

I've found your site via a link to the article about the missing boater. The title of your article shows the low-level of your own intelligence and compassion while searching for a sensationalized header to grab attention. I've met the boat owner but do not know him. I do know that he is a sponsored race boat driver that, in part, makes his living driving these boats. While I was not there, hitting a sand bar in clear, calm water seems unlikely. Your attempt to bash the readers comments about a boat wave furthers my outrage at your magazine. You see, I have the exact same boat (38 Formula) as the race boat that flipped. My 4 years experience with this boat (17 year boat owner) probably does not compare to a racers experience, but turning and hitting waves from a 35 foot cruiser can CERTAINLY cause what is suggested. Hitting a wave during a turn can cause the rear end of the boat to "come-around" causing the boat to hit the next wave sideways, rolling violently, and throwing anything or anyone not tied down to get thrown out. This phenomenon has been documented many times in the past.

Get a avid boaters opinion, even a sail-boater's that has at least been on ONE powerboat.......and BTW: I see no mention in the coast guard article of what would be obvious signs of a boat "hitting" the sandbar.

Russ Carter
Richmond VA

Please post the editors email. I can't find it.

fatdaddy 10-13-2008 10:45 PM

Thoughts & prayers.

GARBAGEMAN 10-13-2008 11:08 PM

it's only my .02 cents but I'm not always a stuck on stupid garbageman the maggott that spewed the untruth in his article dosen't care about our brother. he is an opprotunist and his judgement day will come. I will not click on his link cuz if I do then he is getting what he wants. hits on his site so he can sell adds. I don't know what he wrote and probably better off not knowing cuz it'll make me go back to stupid. Back to whats important. Bobby hang in there and get better. I'm praying for Pat & his family. it seems like yesterday that I was making fun of him for his funny looking driving suite & shoes u guys know what i'm talking about and he came right back at me for racing in flip flops. It was a great luagh that I won't forget but want to do again

packinair 10-14-2008 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2714829)
Please post the editors email. I can't find it.

[email protected]

t500hps 10-14-2008 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by packinair (Post 2714966)

Thanks, that's the only one I could find.

Spicy 10-14-2008 07:15 AM

This is horrible news, my thoughts and prayers to the families and friends....

Pat

Shore Thing 10-14-2008 07:15 AM

Please just ignore the st. mary's today article. By writing him letters, you are giving him what he wants. I've been down this road before with him when i lost my friend who was a navy test pilot instructor. He'll post half your letter and criticize it out of context. Everyone locally knows his rag is a joke.

I went out last night and joined the search from about 3:30-6:30 until i had to return for gas. There were still about 20 boats searching the waters from cuckhold creek to the Naval air station. He will be found.

offshoredrillin 10-14-2008 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shore Thing (Post 2714997)
Please just ignore the st. mary's today article. By writing him letters, you are giving him what he wants. I've been down this road before with him when i lost my friend who was a navy test pilot instructor. He'll post half your letter and criticize it out of context. Everyone locally knows his rag is a joke.

I went out last night and joined the search from about 3:30-6:30 until i had to return for gas. There were still about 20 boats searching the waters from cuckhold creek to the Naval air station. He will be found.

I did respond, we will see where it goes, hopefully the good people of St Marys will continue to help;

In reading your report on the boat accident on Sunday, then your response to
readers is utterly appalling. Whereas you state you are reporting the facts, you
seem to have forgotten the rules of journalism where you inject your opinion as
fact. The headline itself claims the individuals had no brains, quite frankly,
all of the individuals on board are business men in St Marys county, quite
possibly advertisers in your want to be newspaper.
Secondly, you again inject your uneducated boating opinion that hitting the
sandbar is the equivalent of hitting a barn, you further inject what potentially
could happen IF alcohol was involved, wholly not knowing but putting that into
the article to make a bad situation seem so much worse. It's called
sensationalism, please tell me what journalism class you learned this in? You
then try to justify it with your quote of not knowing if alcohol was involved or
just stupidity, millions of people are involved in accidents daily,
unfortunately some of them are fatal.
Are you really of the makeup that think these men purposely set out to be injured and
presumed dead? You reported the facts along with your own opinions, which lead
me to believe that you have a personal agenda against boaters, I can assure you
as a sponsor of the boat in the accident, it was doing nowhere near its
potential speed, are you of the same opinion of the people that enjoy exotic
cars or the muscle cars from the past, surely the companies that make/made these
cars aren't stupid (your terminology) as these manufacturers are global
companies that have in part helped forge America The same America that gives you
the ability of free speech to post senseless diatribe. The same as the first
line in a Doctors code is "First do no harm"...real journalists will state the
facts and report news, not embellish it with speculation and opinion. I find
your style of reporting and your subsequent responses to your readers childish
and irresponsible. You even went as far as to insinuate
the place where they were supposedly drinking!!! please show me what report that was in?
Whereas newspapers and now web blogs were the cornerstone of community, I
challenge you to do some good for the families of the injured and missing. I
along with my fellow boaters have established a fund for the medical bills and
the family of the missing man. You see, we boaters try to help our brethren and
friends in time of need, not trying to capitalize off of sensationalism.

donations can be sent to;
Proform Protective Films Inc
BobbyB fund or Reiter Family fund
3220-D Corporate Ct.
Ellicott City MD. 21042

866-776-3682
Visa and MC accepted

In conclusion Mr. Editor, no one has a problem with facts, just stick to them. I
would also extend to you a chance to ride in one of our boats, please allow us
to educate you on what it takes to operate safely and avoid a tragedy. Surely
you have no reason to refuse education?

Rob Freeman
President/CEO
Proform Protective Films Inc.