Notices

Trip of a Lifetime!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn D

OR Just Hit all the Lakes in one Trip.

Good Luck & Have Fun
That would be a great trip, I've thought of doing that myself. Heading west from Toronto across the Great Lakes would be awesome, plenty of places to stop at along the way. You could take the US side going one way and the Canadian side going back.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Pearl - Not much time right now but I may have some ideas for you.
One trip I enjoyed was having the boat trailered to Cincinnati on the Ohio River where I started a trip that took me eventually down the Tombigbee Waterway to Mobile, Alabama. We were to have then crossed the Gulf and eventually get to Marco Island, FL until an approaching hurricane wrecked that plan but that is a whole other story. I still have my charts and cruising guides that you would be welcome to.
Buoy shared a good idea when he said to document your trip. I used to keep diaries and paste pictures in them. Kinda nice to pull out some years later and relive. Also when you go to the Toronto boat show this winter flip thru some of the cruising guides which are invaluable on trips like you are considering.
Contact me sometime and I would be happy to share some ideas with you.
Bob
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it, stay home lock all the doors, windows save your money for your kids inhertiance.

The reason I said that is everytime I tell my kids to do something they do the opposite.

The only thing I would do different is take at least one women you never know on a trip like that when you will have one last wish.

One more thing the boat holds 35 gallions of fuel.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 10-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
OK, just an opinion, but you need to make this real.
Cut the one month thing, it'll just take however long it takes.
All you need is a starting point. And a first destination.
After you make it to the first destination, you decide where to head next - this is where the locals can help out telling you what's near, and what you should go see/stay away from.
10K?? don't go into it on a budget. just go, and keep going until the money runs out.
Don't turn around and come back to the same place you launched. Make one of your buddies that stayed back drive your truck/trailer to wherever you wind up, and take your happy azzes back home.
Take a tent and sleeping bags, you may not always be able to find a room, and you'll just have to make do.
Make it a real adventure, IE just go do it with no real destination.
This isn't the sort of thing you use a travel agent for.
This is one of your last chances to be young and completely irresponsible - you better make it count.
i like what you are saying! i was thinking we would either sleep on the boat at some places, or do what you said and camp out. i think i def need to plan a route of some sort.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Pearl - Not much time right now but I may have some ideas for you.
One trip I enjoyed was having the boat trailered to Cincinnati on the Ohio River where I started a trip that took me eventually down the Tombigbee Waterway to Mobile, Alabama. We were to have then crossed the Gulf and eventually get to Marco Island, FL until an approaching hurricane wrecked that plan but that is a whole other story. I still have my charts and cruising guides that you would be welcome to.
Buoy shared a good idea when he said to document your trip. I used to keep diaries and paste pictures in them. Kinda nice to pull out some years later and relive. Also when you go to the Toronto boat show this winter flip thru some of the cruising guides which are invaluable on trips like you are considering.
Contact me sometime and I would be happy to share some ideas with you.
Bob
i figured it was good to start thinking about this early rather then last minute. i wanna see races, and festivals and all that kinda stuff! your trip in the top gun seems like it was mad fun! after reading about your summer trip in gb, it seems like you have been everywhere!!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Don't do it, stay home lock all the doors, windows save your money for your kids inhertiance.

The reason I said that is everytime I tell my kids to do something they do the opposite.

The only thing I would do different is take at least one women you never know on a trip like that when you will have one last wish.

One more thing the boat holds 35 gallions of fuel.
and that 35 gallons doesnt go very far! on the larson website they give a range of about 120 miles at cruise, or 4mpg. my parents have stories like this from back in the day, but seem to have become more conservative over the years. thats why i would probably have to come up with a route, and approximate dates and what not.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shawn D
Before I went to college In 1992, I went on a motorcycle ride around the country. I left Northern Michigan through the Windsor tunnel to Canada
Toronto, Montreal, Quebec - Spent some days with friends
Portland, Maine
Boston
Back across New York ( long State)
Chicago - met a good friend from the Twin Cities MN
St. Louis - We Did the arch and met 2 other friends from NC & Fl
We all rode out Colorado and stayed with another friend
We camped & rafted for a few days. as they were all married & I was not, they went back home and I continued West on my own.
I rode from Denver to Las Vegas non-stop, noon til 6am the next day. Stayed with a cousin in Vegas for 2 days. Then...
Headed to LA through Death Valley - 120 degrees
Rode US 1 to SF - Nice
Modesto then Yosemite
Reno
Woke up in Nebraska on monday Morning, 3 weeks after I left Michigan, the day I was to return to work. I made a phone call to the Boss, told him I'ld be back maybe Wednesday. Hope I have a Job, If not it was worth it.
Stayed with Grandma in the Quad cities
Got home Tuesday night late.
Very Tired and a very sore Azz. 3-1/2 weeks 9800 miles on a '84 Honda Nighthawk 700S
Swam in both Oceans before I came back home.

Many told me to not go. But one said "Most people work their whole lives for things they could only enjoy when they were young"
I will always remember that ride ( well some of it anyways)

You should leave Toronto head to the Alantic around Florida & Key west, Go up the Mississippi and find away back into the Great Lakes , Either Michigan or Erie.

OR Just Hit all the Lakes in one Trip.

Good Luck & Have Fun
i was thinking going south because i would have to do it march/april. since the boating season is so short up here, i dont think my parents would be up for not having a boat for a summer. when you did your motorcycle trip, did you set out with a destination in mind or just wherever? i bet that was an awesome trip!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
i like what you are saying! i was thinking we would either sleep on the boat at some places, or do what you said and camp out. i think i def need to plan a route of some sort.
You need to create a rough course.
Just a general plan of what direction you are headed. But, don't hold yourself to waypoints and deadlines. You'll ruin the whole purpose of the trip.
You are about to endeavour on a journey that you feel you need to plan for. You're wrong. Throw some supplies in the boat, and head out. Pick up what you need along the way, and just enjoy it. I understand being a young man you probably want to find strange women, but trust me on this - this is more important. You won't remeber the names (maybe not even the faces) of the women, but you will remember this trip.
I wish I could come along.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered

Meeting up with the friend in Chicago and St Louis was set up a few months in advance. My Buddy Ed from St Paul was an Artist type so he had done a dozen monthly newsletters prior to leaving. I think it was the Shade Rider newsletter. I still have them in a shoe box somewhere. Man, were they foul and funny. Hope my kids don't find them someday.

There was a lot of unplanned stuff though. In New York I spent the night in a Farmers field. He woke me up, I told him my story and then he fed me lunch. That was really cool.

I was leaving Yosemite through Tioga Pass, the one road out comes to a four way intersection. There were 4-5 cars pulled over with maps out trying to figure the way home. You should have seen their faces when I got off my bike walked over to the center of the four way and literally spun a bottle (Mt dew). It was f_cking Hilarious. The road it pointed took me to Reno NV. I always wanted to do that.

I don't know how Cumberland is that time of year, but I think it's connected to rivers that should go somewhere. and for the Larson probably safer than the Ocean or the big lakes. We had a great time renting a house boat there a few years back.

Looks like it has the Camper canvas, That's a bonus.

Last edited by Shawn D; 10-14-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

About the money, I ran out twice. As long as your family loves you they'll get you home.

Just make sure you have enough to get as far as you want to go. lol

Last edited by Shawn D; 10-14-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Trip of a Lifetime!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.