Proper Boat Winterization? >

Proper Boat Winterization?

Notices

Proper Boat Winterization?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Boat Winterization?

I have a 1989 Century Ultra I with a 454 Mag and Bravo outdrive. I was wondering if someone could give me a description of good winterization procedures more detailed than run antifreeze through the motor and change the oil. This is the first winter I have owned the boat. It will be stored inside but there may or may not be heat. I'm in NY. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one procedure. Please note that, since this was written and ethanol is now blended into gasoline, some people feel that your fuel tank should be as low as possible, rather than close to full. (I'm storing virtually empty.)

http://www.boatfix.com/winter.htm
Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

There are a couple great threads on this in the technical section of this website below - you should definitely search. Lots of people do different things - read up and decide what you feel is best.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Firstly a good full interior and exterior wash and dry and also interior vaccum is a must.

Make sure the boat is completly "DRY" inside, to avoid mold and rust issues. Put the Fuel Stabil in the tank/tanks. Put RV antifreeze in a bucket (5 gal) use your muffs and a hose to suck the antifreeze out until you see it come out the exhaust.

Make sure that your hatch pins are out and lower the rams, close up the the hatch and turn your switch on the batteries to off. If you are running a tender make sure you hook that up. Put your covers on and your done.

Last edited by x7734x; 10-15-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

where can you buy RV antifreeze?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Cheapest i've found was Walmart.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

My mechanic has been too busy to winterize, and I am nervous that it will get too cold before he can do it. We already had a frost, how cold can it get before I will have a problem?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 PM

I would drain the water from your engine as soon as possible, before it gets really cold.Then at least you won't have water in the block to freeze, then crack your block. This will buy you some time until you can add antifreeze. Just my $.02
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

Hey Century Ultra, shoot me an email when you get a chance. I have an 89 Ultra II (twins) Just curious if you have any info on these boats as I can't seem to find crap on them.
[email protected]
Old 10-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kenvik01
I would drain the water from your engine as soon as possible, before it gets really cold.Then at least you won't have water in the block to freeze, then crack your block. This will buy you some time until you can add antifreeze. Just my $.02
How do you drain the water from the engine? Isn't it an open system anyway?

Quick Reply: Proper Boat Winterization?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.