Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for new blowers, any opinions? >

Looking for new blowers, any opinions?

Notices

Looking for new blowers, any opinions?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info, i'm more confused then before. For every plus there is a minus. I need dependability. Mercedes has been really happy with the coverage we have gotten for them. They want to be more involved and want us to do some other things. I have had a lot of down time this past year, (not for any one reason) but that was a something brought up in our meeting. I have to figure out the best way for me to go. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Yes, the 5.0 has made 1650hp on gasoline. The 8.3 is the same supercharger. I've said this a thousand times. The difference, if you drive the male rotor, its a 5.0. If you drive the female rotor, its a 8.3. Therefore, if you spin the 8.3 to 12,000, it's the same as spinning the 5.0 to 19,920. So, with that in mind, if you drive (from crankshaft) the female rotor and spin it 12,000, the male rotor will be rotating at 19,920. If you drive the male rotor and turn it 19,920, then the female rotor will be turning 12,000.

The 8.3 is not unproven, it's worked just fine. It will make all the HP the PSI can make, and it also depends on which PSI, since there's a few versions, some are not nearly as good as others (designs), not to mention from one SC to the next.

The only advantage the PSI has for power is that you run so a huge opening flowing through the SC. Our rear entry can flow a bunch of air, but it's pretty hard to compare to the massive injector hat. It's pretty darn close, and I've gotten it to where I feel confident the 8.3 will out perform the PSI.

Dustin
Yeah yeah Bro you sell Whipples!
The 980 was the best!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
They certainly made some sick power, but it was also 22psi of boost! Its very, very hard to have a reliable engine package on gasoline with 22psi. I think power would be closer to mid 1500 to low 1600 with 15psi which is still great. Turbo's at this point would be near the 2000hp range (22psi) but turbo lag is extremely difficult to get around as well as low end torque, and lets face it, some of these big boats with big props, high gears need lots of torque down low.

Dustin

Dustin,

I believe you know Tom Earhart...................
572's Twin Turbo's 21 Lbs of boost 1,500 hp. Very Low compression. Full EFI and they are very fuel effiecient.

NO Turbo lag, boost at 1,500 rpms

NEVER any problems with the bottom end and the valve train is changed every 250 hours. How is that for reliable??

Tom has an incredible package and so gentle all at the same
time. And there is something about a V-bottom out accelerating a CAT that........... Well always raises question marks.

Ask Check300 he runs Tom's engine too. I think the dyno sheets would blow your mind for low end torque and no turbo lag. Tom has it figured out!!

Jon

Last edited by cougarman; 10-16-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
Its stating to get old we just blew our Starboard drysump 6 on Tuesday.

We are pulling it later today, thats 5 drives in two seasons.

The down side to our sick acceleration rush!
You guys need to bring that Talon out to some of the large poker runs and hook up with some of the big guns. I dont think 1400 hp should be breaking drives,maybe shorting the life.
Many 40-50's running turbines with 1800 hp with no problems.Might want to look at a different drive builder. Just my 2
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Ready to go 203 in a 46
Niiiice now thats what im talkin bout
Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Niiiice now thats what im talkin bout
Did Randy deduct for your senior citizen discount!!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Did Randy deduct for your senior citizen discount!!
Yes he did and i put some on your Mastercard &the rest he wants to be paid with T & A that is Ok ??? Lmao
Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Dustin,

I believe you know Tom Earhart...................
572's Twin Turbo's 21 Lbs of boost 1,500 hp. Very Low compression. Full EFI and they are very fuel effiecient.

NO Turbo lag, boost at 1,500 rpms

NEVER any problems with the bottom end and the valve train is changed every 250 hours. How is that for reliable??

Tom has an incredible package and so gentle all at the same
time. And there is something about a V-bottom out accelerating a CAT that........... Well always raises question marks.

Ask Check300 he runs Tom's engine too. I think the dyno sheets would blow your mind for low end torque and no turbo lag. Tom has it figured out!!

Jon

Jon,

I don't know Tom E. Turbo's can make insane hp, but never, ever can it match the throttle response and low end torque. Simply can't. You can use all the tricks you want, all the different versions, which again will make insane hp, but cannot fill the cylinder as fast as a efficient positive displacement sc. I've been part of some big projects and I've seen them very close, but they're not the same. Certainly not the lag of the old days if done right, but its still dependent on the airflow through the exhaust.

I'm 1 person who never knocks turbos. They make great power and are great products, just anything, there's good and bad setups, but when done right, they're hard to compete with.

Dustin
Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
He needs more then that 1400hp my friend.
This is just an example. It happens to be a pair I'm building now. Remember, they have hyd. rollers and only turn barely over 6000. They could make a hell of a lot more, but that's not what this customer wants. He can't handle 1400, he doesn't need any more.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lubejob,
Y are you fighting the inevitable.
This is the only blower you need, and you know it.
Give me a call.

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Thanks for all the info, i'm more confused then before. For every plus there is a minus. I need dependability. Mercedes has been really happy with the coverage we have gotten for them. They want to be more involved and want us to do some other things. I have had a lot of down time this past year, (not for any one reason) but that was a something brought up in our meeting. I have to figure out the best way for me to go. I appreciate all the feedback.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for new blowers, any opinions?-picture-137.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looking for new blowers, any opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.