Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
test drove the duramax today >

test drove the duramax today

Notices

test drove the duramax today

Old 03-09-2002, 10:10 AM
why wait

dono check this web page, they will answer all d-max questions.http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/forum1.htm

Old 03-09-2002, 10:19 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the push button in my S-10 and it's great. You start getting in trouble and you just reach over and hit the button. No fumbling at all. The only gripe that I have is that it doesn't engage the front axel fast enough (still way faster than anybody with the lever though) but I believe that there is a kit out there to speed it up. It was some sort of a module that plugs in-line.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dono,

I wouldn't say it's THE way to go. I like my push button myself.

It's just that the Auto 4x4 option will make it more expensive to lift.

Let me know if you need any info on anything. I own a Truck Accessory store. I may not be able to get the parts to you, but I can tell you if you're getting a fair deal or not.

Someone replied and said that there was a shop doing the HD 6" lift for $1900 installed. That's an awesome price. I couldn't even begin to touch that in my store. That my not include the front drive line though.

Here to help.

Buck
Old 03-09-2002, 07:38 PM
Registered

Buck,
any recomendation on the best manufacturer. My neighbor went with superlift, but now pro comp has a kit and also fabtech, rancho and i'm sure many others. As always i want the best bang for the buck, (no pun) sometimes cheaper is not better in the long run. Could you give me a ball park figure for the total job. Parts labor and whatever else. Do i need a speedo recalibrator If only going up to 33's. Just looking for a rough estimate to the nearest grand. We talking 2k ,3k ,4k I would consider in the 3k range but any more than 4k is a little too much. Thanks
Old 03-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Registered

almost forgot regarding the push button. I had one in my gmc and it worked fine. I just didnt want to buy a truck and then find out it cant be lifted or it may cause problems.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Wildfire

We went from the stock tires to the 285/55's. I think this is about a 1.5" taller loaded height. Checking against those unmanned radar guns on the side of the road, we are under by about 6-8%. I mean we are going faster than the speedo says we are. I don't "speed" too much anymore.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dono,

All the companies you mentioned make a quality product. I wouldn't be afraid to use any of them. You will find that Superlift tends to be a little more expensive. Their product is pretty nice. I always like it when a customer spends the extra $ on a Superlift. Their product always seems so well built and easier to install. I feel they do have a slight edge over the competition.

Yes you will need to recalibrate the speedo for those tires. The Hypertech Programmer should be able to do that for you. You can also go to your local GM dealer. I'm not sure about the Duramax though. I haven't lifted on of those. Don't know if it's as easy as the gas motor to calibrate. Might check on that.

I'll check first thing Monday AM on the Superlift pricing. Been awhile since I've quoted one on a new rig. You'll hear from me Monday night.

Buck
Old 03-10-2002, 01:23 AM
Registered

Buck,
thanks for the reply. I'm also considering a ford psd. I loved my cummins but the fact the crew cab wont be out until Aug. dosent do me any good. I know the ford is cheaper to lift and i like the solid axel front end but i heard a rumor ford is replacing the psd in the near future and i dont know if i want an out dated motor in my new truck.
The other problem with the chevy is finding one. My local dealer only has one and not the options i want. It's a long bed and i think i want a short. I cant order one due to the fact i need wheels asap. Thanks again

ps I'm finding my adavar rather annoying.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The programmer will work for recalibrating the speedo,it will also firm up the shifts,alittle better fuel milage, and better power,especially on the diesel
Old 03-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

I read somewhere that the lager tires throw off the Allison shifting points. GM built the truck to only run on the 245's. Also there is an issue of voiding the warranty.
http://forums.vmag.com/ptsilverado/messages/2233.html

The Speedo can be changed but not the shift points.
Dan

Quick Reply: test drove the duramax today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.