Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   454 mag EFI, how to add 5 mph? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/197417-454-mag-efi-how-add-5-mph.html)

boatnt 10-19-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chain Runner (Post 2719461)
yup, got no reason to lie. true GPS speed, not from the speedo. with 4 people, cooler, etc...im slower, probably 61, 62 or so...

Hey thats great,sorry if you took it the wrong way!
Maybe he just cant drive,his lucky to get 59-60 out of his.

BGIII 10-19-2008 09:22 AM

Prop it correctly and you will probably get what your looking for without any other changes. If I could get what I was looking for with a labbed prop only, I wouldn't spend 10 cents on MPI modifications until the engine needed to be opened up for other reasons. If you are worried about ruining a labbed prop, only use it when you are concerned about hitting 70 and use a stock prop when going to questionable areas.

RJBBC 10-19-2008 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chain Runner (Post 2718403)
Hey Guy's n Gal's. I have a 232 baja w/a 454 mag EFI. its bone stock and the boat runs 66-67 GPS w/2 people, 1/2 tank and a 25 pitch mirage plus non-labbed prop @ 4800 RPM. thats on a good day, typically it runs 4600-4700 rpms. Either way, id like a solid 70 mph boat (a new boat is out of the question for this coming year). I have been reading about mods, and cant come to a conclusion of what is possible on the EFI motor. what can i do for an extra 5 mph? I was thinking flame arrestor, fuel press regulator, and an ECU flash. possibly some GLM manifolds, which i have read about, but havent been able to get any solid info on. Lastly i could lab the prop, but if anyone knows the chain, it wont last too long...Would all this get me 5 mph? Headers are out of the question as i cant justify spending 2k on this boat as id like a new(er) one in 2010. thanks for the input!

Chain Runner,
We were sitting where you are now two years ago. My thoughts looking back would be to do nothing and get your new(er) boat in 2010 or get ready to spend some money on your 232. To go fast safely and reliable cost $$$! We wanted 5mph and ended up spending 17K!!! We are still spending money on the motor and looking for more power. The 17K includes full hydraulic steering and performance tabs. You will probably need these with your 70 plus mph 23. Be careful what you wish for!

Chain Runner 10-19-2008 06:49 PM

Hey thats great,sorry if you took it the wrong way!
Maybe he just cant drive,his lucky to get 59-60 out of his.
No offense taken whatsoever. I do find it laughable how people selling these boats, even with just the 454 mpi say they are 70 mph boats...just not true, lol.

Chain Runner,
We were sitting where you are now two years ago. My thoughts looking back would be to do nothing and get your new(er) boat in 2010 or get ready to spend some money on your 232. To go fast safely and reliable cost $$$! We wanted 5mph and ended up spending 17K!!! We are still spending money on the motor and looking for more power. The 17K includes full hydraulic steering and performance tabs. You will probably need these with your 70 plus mph 23. Be careful what you wish for!
I am thinking going procharger now. If i can pick up one for around 2k it would defenitly be worth it and i could move it to a newer boat in a couple years if needed. Procharger expects about a 15 mph gain per their website on my length and motor. thats 80 mph!!! I'm thinking thats almost too fast for saftey, any thoughts? I hear a lot about chinewalking and that's defenitley something i dont want to deal with. I realize with the procharger i would need a new prop and possibly external steering. I have dual ram tabs so i might be ok there. Any thoughts on the chinewalking?

smitty i would PM you but i cant find the button to do it with?

young-gun 10-19-2008 11:33 PM

get the procharger...order a brochure from them, theres owner reports saying that they get 20-25MPH gains on any boat.

Back4More 10-19-2008 11:45 PM

Trade it in...alot safer.
http://www.teamshogren.com/pre-owned...ft-scarab.html

Griff 10-20-2008 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by young-gun (Post 2720243)
get the procharger...order a brochure from them, theres owner reports saying that they get 20-25MPH gains on any boat.

Yeah right.........until it blows up

My advice is do some simple bolt on mods like a K&N Arrestor and some 496 take off exhaust. That and lab the prop. Anything else will make the boat harder to sell later.

FRMULTR 10-20-2008 06:59 AM

Call George at Marine Performance Products, he is a ProCharger distributor in Fox Lake. He can give you alot of info. 630-240-5401.

RJBBC 10-20-2008 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2720252)
Yeah right.........until it blows up

My advice is do some simple bolt on mods like a K&N Arrestor and some 496 take off exhaust. That and lab the prop. Anything else will make the boat harder to sell later.

I agree with Griff. If you install a Procharger the resale value of your boat will drop substantially. The speed and power gains you are asking from this engine are steep. The 454MAG is a great motor but it was never designed to pump out 600HP by bolting on an air pump. Your hull, drive, tabs and current steering setup were not designed for this application either. Just remember a quick fix to your speed problem may just cause you a lot more problems.:grinser010:
IMHO