Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Accident at Hot Toddy Run. -Mechanical Failure- (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/197462-accident-hot-toddy-run-mechanical-failure.html)

sportimetl 10-19-2008 11:25 AM

Very sad news indeed. Prayers for all involved in this tragedy:(

cauzmik 10-19-2008 11:47 AM

I know this question has been raised before and a lot of people shot it down for obvious reasons but should seat belts be implemented in boats?

Sad, My prayers to the Fam

E Colby 10-19-2008 11:47 AM

God Speed

Too many tragic losses in one summer. RIP and to everyone on the CT River Run today, PLEASE be safe.

As for seat belts, not a good idea in an open boat. You want to be thrown clear, not strapped to it as it rolls.

boatme 10-19-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by cauzmik (Post 2719792)
I know this question has been raised before and a lot of people shot it down for obvious reasons but should seat belts be implemented in boats?

Sad, My prayers to the Fam

Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

In a canopy boat Absolutely Yes
the boat goes over and they bounce like a ping pong ball without restraint

Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one

AB From Windsor 10-19-2008 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2719798)
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one

I have to agree with you on all of the points and wearing a life jacket, seems to be something that we all don't really do , whether it is a mocho thing or it is uncomfortable in the heat, but they do safe lifes and no one know if they will have a machanically problem. If my guest don't want to wear one, I guess they won't be going on the boat.

cauzmik 10-19-2008 12:05 PM

Tethers always

Well put, I just wanted to see if the consensus changed...

AppSysCons 10-19-2008 12:14 PM

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to family and friends.

I know the Kirk the boat builder, I know the guys who race this brand, and I drove one of the race boats back in 98.

I this truly was a mechanical failure, as suggested in an earlier post, lets make sure we fully understand what happened, and work to prevent or minimize it from ever occurring again.

We have lost too many, this season.

ACTIVESHACK 10-19-2008 12:15 PM

More sad news. Our condolences to the family.

ROTAX454 10-19-2008 02:29 PM

How about using the Poker Run Lap belts from Tiger. These are velcro fastened, not buckle type. See the link and scroll to page 8. Also, didn't I see that Reggie is installing belts in the sit down seats on the 42 poker run edition boat. My idea with the lap belts (velcro) is in keeping the person in the seat only for rough boating only. Am I to believe that your comments on the open cockpit and no restraints is for the dangers with having the boat upside down in the water? Please explain.

boatme 10-19-2008 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ROTAX454 (Post 2719899)
How about using the Poker Run Lap belts from Tiger. These are velcro fastened, not buckle type. See the link and scroll to page 8. Also, didn't I see that Reggie is installing belts in the sit down seats on the 42 poker run edition boat. My idea with the lap belts (velcro) is in keeping the person in the seat only for rough boating only. Am I to believe that your comments on the open cockpit and no restraints is for the dangers with having the boat upside down in the water? Please explain.

Yes up sidown and straped in you are done most likley

I have used the tiger strap sitting in the back of a Fast cat years ago and it was only becuse there was nothing to hold on to sitting in the middle All i could think of was trying to get out if i we went over very very scary won't do it again

As far as Reggie and his sit downs with belts I understand the thinking but disagree with having them in an open boat
I heard he had put 5 point in some pleasure open boats, to me that is just not smart