Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive? >

Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive?

Notices

Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive?

I usually take my boat in for winterizing. This year I decided to start doing it myself but can't find a decent flush muff for the low water pick-up on my drive. I want something that sealed tight to the drive so I can draw the antifreeze from a 5 gallon bucket rigged with hose.

Should I just disconnect the hose from my sea strainer and attach my 5 gallon bucket there?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a boot rite from merc that goes over the LWP. $75 but worth it so you dont have to screw around.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go right to the sea strainer. Just remember to blow air into the line that goes to the drive. Also dump some antifreeze into that line (to the drive) just in case. If you want a muff, I've got a brand new Merc one that I never used for sale! PM me if you are interested!

Dave
Old 10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

Rubber maid tub.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY
Rubber maid tub.
I already have a tub for a half barrel that the drive fits in. But I'd use way too much anti-freeze that way. Looking for a direct connect method to the drive low water pick-up.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

also was wondering if we take the plug out of the block disconnect the 2 lines to sea pump and blow out. Tried to get my end torks out of my CMI exhaust but they would not come out. Are we safe if the pink stuff comes out of the exhaust we used 6 gallons per side? Also do peope leave the pink juice in all winter? Thanks in advance Jeff
Old 10-20-2008, 03:34 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

careful if you are running thermostats, be sure engine is up to temp -- thermos are open. You might see anti freeze come out the tail pipes and still have 100% water in the block otherwise.
It is always good to pull the drain plugs from everywhere in order to allow flushing of any sand or crud that has gotten stuck in the water jackets over the year too.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a T in the kine going to your strainer. Then run the line up to where you can get at it easily. hook up a 5 gal. bucket and you are good to go.You can get a fancy or as simple as you want to. Have a hose attachment permently installed or just cap the T and you are all set for next year.

You do need to warm the engine up before hooking the bucket up. Just have a garden hose on the fitting, when warm remove and hook up the bucket.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
careful if you are running thermostats, be sure engine is up to temp -- thermos are open.
Good point,

When I help my friend winterize his (non heat exchange motors) we remove the t-stats, then pump in the anti freeze. Come Spring, re-install the t-stats. If the t-stats remain in the warm motor, never can trust if they stay open when pumping in cold anti-freeze. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy to do on a cold motor even. Loosen the hose clamp holding the hose to the outlet on the drive.Pull the hose forward and up, stick a funnel in it and fill with AF while cranking the motor. When pure AF comes out the exhaust, put the hose back on and TIGHTEN the clamp.
Pull the block drains. Undo the 2 bolts holding the T sat housing. Pour AF into the intake manifold until it runs out the drain holes. Put the drains back in. Done.

Quick Reply: Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.